Addition of subraces to Character Creation: Sun Elf and Non-INT builds

Started by Whyleth, July 16, 2022, 12:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whyleth

Greetings,

Sun Elf ( - 2 CON, +2 INT)
Firstly this is not a bug, as it works as intended, it is just slightly agitating.

I was doing some testing for a New PC concept I wish to roll out later after my current PC to see how I'd need to build it.
I want to make it as a Sun Elf as it is the correct colour palette for the PC, ect.
(I could do the same thing as an Elf and not worry about it but that defeats the purpose in a way I suppose.)

While working as intended If I didnt need INT to make the RP standard of 10 I could go -8 to get the +2 (I don't particularly care for the +1 lore and +2 tinkering)
But since the Subraces are applied after the character is created it somewhat places you in the situation where you either have to have 10 INT at start or lose X skill points (4 for Ranger).

This isn't the end of the world, but also it becomes more tedious when you also have a -2 CON penalty as well.

While this is speaking in a semi-optimal way of building PC's, Sun Elf is the only one it effects from a Non-App Race.
(It also effects Air Genasi's and Tieflings, potentially.)

Diabl0658

Are you sure you dont get the missing skill points on next level up?

Whyleth

Quote from: Diabl0658 on July 16, 2022, 12:53:45 AM
Are you sure you dont get the missing skill points on next level up?

I'll test this but I don't think you would as it is the:
(5+int modifier)*4 at 1st level

Which is based off the INT when you are creating the PC.
8 INT is 12 Points for Ranger
10 INT is 16 Points.

You press play and enter the welcome room.
The subrace applies.
You get 1 Lore and 2 tinkering, which for some classes is a pretty average trade.
IF you were at 8 int (-1) you're just getting the standard 5 skill points per level.
(And a 1+ point loss for rogues, bards and rangers.)