Buyable Monk loot

Started by Nihm, April 03, 2009, 05:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nihm

In the interests of giving this pitifully weak class a nod, I suggest a merchant who sells a Mage Armor/day item.  This will increase the average AC of the monk by three (since most wear the 1 AC snake vest) which will still give them a lower AC than a fighter (the average monk having an underwhelming 18 AC - Dex modifier if flanked or flatfooted).  Also mage armor does not stack with Magic Vestment, making this a rather modest boost.

That way monks don't have to beg mages to cast mage armor on them "My life is dedicated to self-control and self improvement give me a mage armor so I can survive this quest please" when the mage would rather use it on a more useful party member, such as the 12 hp level one Island Viper summon.

Not.Him.Again

I would like to seem some place monks can buy general monk gear period. A place to buy habits and some general gloves. The Underdark had two such places that I was aware of. Perhaps the island has them I just haven found it yet :).

Letsplayforfun

Quote from: Nihm;118149this pitifully weak class.

OMG. This is going to spark an endless (and futile) debate about class balance.

Nihm

Howlando

Not.Him.Again

Also I would like to point something out to monk players, as I am one as well. Monks are like wizards, at lower levels they are very weak. At higher levels they are very strong. I would view the progression as this.

Level Wise:
1 - 5: Your a weak but ok addition to the party.
6 - 8: You are a decent addition to the party assuming you have some basic gear and some potions.
9 - 12: You are a good addition to the party with some basic equipment.
12+: With the a few potions and pieces of gear you can become a killing machine.

Caddies

Why not buy potions of armor from a PC arcanist crafter...?

Pestilence

Silver Raven Bracers. 10 Mage armors on it. And it is an easy drop on Wolves.

Find it.

Use it.

Love it :)

AfroMullet

Quote from: Pestilence;118217Silver Raven Bracers. 10 Mage armors on it. And it is an easy drop on Wolves.

Find it.

Use it.

Love it :)

Until you are level 6 and cannot do the quest anymore.

Easy

I play a monk currently, and at low levels I find they were difficult.  Though if there were more accessible "usables" (per day items are entirely lame in my opinion and do not encourage class cooperation) perhaps one way to address this would be to offer some 1st circle spell usables for a cheaper than normal price at the starting shop, just to help people get to their feet.  This would be something that benefits everyone really, without being unbalanced in any way.

meow-mix

I would say that the best answer to this would be for the players of monks to band together and raise a monastery.  Perhaps with enough RAWK, the DM's would grant an NPC in time that could serve this purpose.

my two cents,
Meow-mix!

AfroMullet

There are many different monk orders. Monks cannot simply band together and form a monastery.

I can has fun?

I'd rather see more quest loot for monks than gear from merchants. A wider selection of gloves, more clothing with interesting combat bonuses, that sort of thing. Items of this type would be broadly useful to a variety of non-combat classes.

Underbard

Played a monk for a few days in the UD.  While they are challenging, if you stick with it, I have found that when monk gear does drop on quests, your friends will remember you, even if you weren't on the quest.   As far as a merchant somewhere, I haven't seen one here yet.  Would be nice to have a monestary some where, maybe one near the Temple district and another on the Mountain of Mist, with slightly better gear.

Egon the Monkey

Monk buff potions like Mage Armor and Owl's Wisdom aren't hard to aquire as they are the ones there's generally little argument about. There's even a quest dropping Owl's (10) pots.

As for gloves, I agree. There are the Jergali ones which are only useful when fighting undead casters really, the rareish Wild Orc ones, and that's about it, other than that ranger/druid only set. There are some good robes and coats, with several stealth bonus suits, several +AC vs X race suits, and a +1 AC one.

More monk loot would be good, I can't really think of more than 2-3 items that are made for Monks, especially compared to the large amount of sorc loot available to help out that other "not so great at lower levels" class.