Entangle Immunity does not seem to work!

Started by sankarul, July 03, 2021, 11:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sankarul

Even spiders get caught by my entangling spear! And I think someone had some boots with immunity to the entangle spell, and it didn't help the person around me either.

Dredi

Immunity to the entanglement spell doesnt provided immunity to rooting/being entangled - it provides immunity to the spell specifically, not the effect.

Or am I misunderstanding you? - you need to be as clear as possible in your bug reports.

sankarul

My spear casts the spell 'Entangle' every time I hit something. Boots that give immunity to Entangle do not work against it. Blur doesn't work against it. Spiders that I believe should be very immune to being entangled... are not immune to it. 

It's the same with any casted entangle. Not just the one from the spear.

Druid's immunity and Freedom of Movement work against it. Other sources of immunity don't seem to work.

Dredi

OKie Dokie, so the spell entangle isnt respecting "Spell Immunity: Entangle" on items.

I dont think spiders ever get this immunity anyway. At least in base NWN they only get "Spell Immunity: Web" and not "Condition Immunity: Entangle"  but it is possible that is different here.

Entangle is, base nwn a transmutation spell which respects spell resistance so it should be blocked by ghostly visages level 1 spell immunity (unlike, say, Grease which is a conjuration spell which does not respect SR) but NWN is kinda..janky like that.

sankarul

I can say that ghostly visage does not do much to help against it. As the caster, at least,  generally it blocks nothing. Spellcraft helps against the first tick of the Entangle, but not the second or third. Ghostly visage does nothing 99% of hte time. However, sometimes, randomly. I have no clue how or when this happens. But sometimes, it makes me 100% immune to it. It's... really strange.

TheShadow

Unfortunately this is not a recent issue - nor isolated to Entangle as a spell. Nor is it due to the item in question causing the spell effect.

It has been a persistent issue for some spells such as Web and Entangle, specifically, for as long as I have played NWN. Entangle Immunity / Web immunity only triggered on the first instance, to the best of my knowledge, then did nothing.

It's probably something hardbaked into nwn's code. Not sure any other way of fixing it.
Forever in the Shadows, yearning for the Light.

Wyrmlance

Having heard that Spellcraft bonus only applies on the first check as well, I imagine it is because after the first tick, it no longer recognizes it as a spell for whatever the reason.

Dredi

Probably about right yeah. Either it doesnt consider it as a spell, or doesnt consider it as effecting spell resistance like a conjuration spell typically would.

Its a strange thing that this only happens with this and a handful of other spells, but not say, cloudkill.

NWN Shenanigans for you.