Restrictions of Spell Focus and Craft feats

Started by Walrus Warwagon, October 24, 2023, 05:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walrus Warwagon

It is a rare problem, but I feel it deserves to be mentioned, especially while being unable to learn Crafts from NPCs.

SF and Crafts require an ability to cast spells. For characters like a caster bard it means you can only have one GSF by level 6, and if you do it means no scroll, potions, or wands.

Maybe it could interfere with some gish multiclasses as well, I am not sure.

This change, maybe, would allow greater variety, even if cases of use is rare.

Bearic

Purchasable crafting feats are not likely to come back. Some people are merchants, some people are adventurers, that's okay.

Walrus Warwagon

Sorry, I was unclear.

Suggestion is not a put hasable feat, but lifting requirements ofcavailable spell circles from these feats, allowing to take them from level 1 onward on any character.

Mia

The prerequisite for a spell focus is the ability to cast level 1 spells or higher. For bards, and bards alone, this means 2 levels or more. Other spellcasting classes get their first level spells at level 1 after all.

The prerequisite for brew potion is at least 3 levels of a spellcasting class.

The prerequisite for craft wand is at least 5 levels of a spellcasting class.

So yes, for a human bard at level six, it would be impossible to have a spell focus, greater spell focus brew potion and craft wand. While the same would be possible for a cleric, druid, astrologian, sorcerer and wizard.

Bards are already quite strong, and it prevents fighter/rogue/wizards from having one dip in wizard and being able to craft their own shield wands. I like it when options require some prior investment.

Walrus Warwagon

As a bard, no matter the race, you cannot havr gsf and even one crafting feat at level 6. But by taking gsf and crafting feat you are already not taking combat or save related feats. It won't make barfd stronger, it will allow more variety.