Mist ogres, sneak attacks and archers, oh my!

Started by Velve, June 27, 2009, 07:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velve

Well, not sure why, but it seems my fighter/rogue archer doesn't get sneak attacks against mist ogres. Others in the party, melee and archers both, also didn't seem to be getting them, but it says nothing about them being immune.

Is this supposed to happen?

And yes, I was close enough. Having played him a while I know now when I'm close enough to get sneak attacks or not, and I made very sure to be close enough, and behind the distracted ogre, all sorts. No luck.

Thanks.

TheImpossibleDream

Its an odd glitch that happens from time to time with rogues, unfortunately theres no real solution to it.

VanillaPudding

They might have defensive roll feat, which technically makes them immune to sneak attacks if they're fighting.

Vlaid

I've noticed that sometimes, for no particular reason, I don't get sneak attacks when I should. Against mobs I know are not immune, and don't have any special feats.

Cruzel

Barbarians and dwarven defenders become 'immune' once they reach a certain level.

It has to do with the defensive awareness feat.

Drakill Tannan

Unless modified in EFU:A Defensive roll should not make creatures inmune to Sneak attacks that i know of, it would be a pretty awsome feat then, rather than the crappy waste-feat from the Rogue's bonus list.

I also don't think Barbarians become inmune, ever. Again, unless modified in EFU:A (none of i have read of)

Dwarven Defenders are though, once they reac a certian level (wich i can't remember) for as long as they are fighting.

VanillaPudding

I think it's uncanny dodge causing it. I don't remember it doing so in previous versions but maybe I'm just mistaken. (very likely)

Jayde Moon

It happens to me as well.  I see it against flayers all the time.  I get a sneak attack if I'm coming out of stealth, but after that, no flank SA.

All the other folks with SA around me get theirs just fine.

Raposa_Fox

Quote from: Drakill Tannan;133868Unless modified in EFU:A Defensive roll should not make creatures inmune to Sneak attacks that i know of, it would be a pretty awsome feat then, rather than the crappy waste-feat from the Rogue's bonus list.

I also don't think Barbarians become inmune, ever. Again, unless modified in EFU:A (none of i have read of)

Dwarven Defenders are though, once they reac a certian level (wich i can't remember) for as long as they are fighting.

No classes or feats, exept for pale master level 10 or undead shapeshifter shapes, get imunity to sneak attacks in NWN standard engine. Uncany dodge and some other similar feats or class features may grant the dexterity and dodge bonus if flat footed, and some others make you not have the penalty of an unseen creature attacking in surprise. All that, if it is not modified in EfU module. It is definetely a bug, a server modification, or your character was not really flanking the target, which happens sometimes, if the target is targeting you even if you are shooting from distance.

VanillaPudding

Well, it's either something modified server-side or it's Uncanny dodge of a certain rank that causes them to be -mostly- immune to sneak attacks. Once said creatures (Mist Ogres, Stargazers) are in combat sneak attacks stop working on them unless you're coming out of invisibility or stealth, if they're aware of you at all they don't work. Yes, I was flanking them and I've seen it happening to other players as well.

Drakill Tannan

Quote from: Raposa_Fox;133917No classes or feats, exept for pale master level 10 or undead shapeshifter shapes, get imunity to sneak attacks in NWN standard engine. Uncany dodge and some other similar feats or class features may grant the dexterity and dodge bonus if flat footed, and some others make you not have the penalty of an unseen creature attacking in surprise. All that, if it is not modified in EfU module. It is definetely a bug, a server modification, or your character was not really flanking the target, which happens sometimes, if the target is targeting you even if you are shooting from distance.

The Dwarven defender, after reaching a level, cannot be flanked while fighitng, therefore becoming effecively inmune to sneak attack.

Now, back on topic:

Why do you say uncanny dodge could be causing it? how can i avoid the sneak attack?

Raposa_Fox

Quote from: Drakill Tannan;133925The Dwarven defender, after reaching a level, cannot be flanked while fighitng, therefore becoming effecively inmune to sneak attack.

Now, back on topic:

Why do you say uncanny dodge could be causing it? how can i avoid the sneak attack?

Wrong. They do not receive imunity against sneak attacks, for an unseen character can still sneak them.

Oskar Maxon

Quote from: Raposa_Fox;133935Wrong. They do not receive imunity against sneak attacks, for an unseen character can still sneak them.

They effectively become immune, as only unseen characters can sneak them, as you say. Falnking does not give sneak attack, which seems to be the very purpose of this thread.

Raposa_Fox

Quote from: Oskar Maxon;133990They effectively become immune, as only unseen characters can sneak them, as you say. Falnking does not give sneak attack, which seems to be the very purpose of this thread.

Yeah, well, so, we both agree this feature does not grant sneak attack imunity. The name of the ability is defensive awareness II, and it comes with dwarven defenders, but it may have been added to spawns, as I believe it is available in the tools to do so.

Now, about the barbarian's (and rogue's) Uncany Dodge, it does not keep them from being flanked, so it is not the case.

And yeah, it is probably it. As I recall, some snakes, vipers or cobras also have this ability.

Drakill Tannan

Just for the sake of my ego..

Quote from: Raposa_Fox;133935Wrong. They do not receive imunity against sneak attacks, for an unseen character can still sneak them.

Quote from: Drakill Tannan;133925The Dwarven defender, after reaching a level, cannot be flanked while fighitng, therefore becoming effecively inmune to sneak attack.

:-D