Provider download limitations and NWN

Started by Wrexsoul, February 13, 2011, 05:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrexsoul

Heya,

I've got a bit of a problem. I am going away on exchange studies for three and a half month starting mid-march, to Leipzig. This will be a blast, of course, but I recently found out that the internet in the dorm I'll probably end up staying in is limited to 20 GB worth of downloading per month.

The thing is, I have absolutely no clue about how much this actually is, in terms of online gaming and browsing and such. I am also not sure what counts for it, but I guess that every single loaded online data counts? If so, I guess this would include packages sent back and forth while playing stuff like NWN as well.

Since I'm pretty much a newbie at this sort of tech-think, I was wondering if perhaps one of you guys could help me out with some info of how limits like this work in actuality, and now it would affect playing NWN here, specifically?

I would hate to have to take a three month break because of something like this, so if it would affect NWN, is there anything that can be done to minimize data retrieved? Will less data be downloaded if stuff like graphics are tuned down, or is that run 100% on my own end of things anyway?

Also, how about stuff like IRC and other non-browser internet activities?

Basically, I'm completely clueless to the specifics of any data transfer bar manual downloads and uploads, and would dearly appreciate any bits of information I could get on the matter at hand.

Cheers!

Paha

In Finland my buddies have suffered of similar quite often, but I can say that I know for sure they also download stuff and do other things besides playing, but in general 20 gigs is quite a lot for normal use.

However, I still would not trust it. Your connection will become absolutely blocked when it reaches the limit, and here some go around it by ordering a net from outside the dorm, from public provider, and pay around 30e a month for the normal broadband.

Theraphosa_blondi

I remember a few months ago I was checking out my download usage (I had a max of 60 gigs a month). During the months where I did nothing but game on EFU and surf the web, my usage was just around 5-10 gigs or so.

Paha

Aye. In normal use and playing, you should not have to worry at all. It's mainly if you are 24/7 downloader >_>