Paladin Alignment Restrictions

Started by Stranger, November 04, 2019, 10:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stranger

Scrapped as a foolish spur of the moment.

Cruzel

Non-good oaths should require an app, since most people fumble with LG and oath-based PCs anyways.

Electrohydra

QuoteAdvantages:

Diminish the implicit trust given to paladin characters.

I don't see this as an advantage, I see it as a great disadvantage. Paladins are already at a great disadvantage in RP, with a ton of options locked off to them, and duty that often requires them to do very "stupid" things. The implicit trust that they receive is the reward they get for this massive weight they carry. It doesn't nearly compensate, but at least it's something. To remove that is to remove an important part of Paladin RP (and RP-with-paladins).

Random_White_Guy

The restrictions are the point of Paladin.

Can an LE PC swear a dark oath to a Lord, merchant, or other entity?  Absolutely. But to be so pure of purpose, so devoted of zeal, so true of undertaking that the Oath itself manifests in such robust presence? A Paladin is a hero not because of his powers given by his oaths. But that he gazes upon the world and all the hardships and holds himself to the fundamental binding truths of such an oath.

It's why I loved them in EFUR because even as the world collapsed around us the word Paladin still held so much weight and merit. It's a symbolic thing that, if RP'd to the fullest, is an immensely fun experience.

Personally I wish it'd be elevated to PRC Lawful Good levels requiring an application and be unable to be taken by casual PCs before "Unlock Paladin Alignments".
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

Pandip

All of the things you want are achievable in game through a variety of different character classes without cheapening the standard of paladins. I don't understand why you need divine grace, lay on hands, detect evil, or access to the paladin spell list to achieve them.

Anonymous Lemur

Your list of disadvantages is very disingenuous for someone who knows better. I like the idea, but the primary disadvantage that is not listed is giving wider access to an absurdly powerful full bab class with huge saving throws, immunity to fear/disease with a potent array of self buffing spells.

I would be for this but they would need to have harsh requirements such as: if a mandatory requirement of playing an evil paladin was sacrificing a pc who has existed for at least 1 week at the shrine where you took your oath. You'd get a tool to test a subdued pc's blood to see if they were suitable.

This would prevent people from benefiting from the immense power of the class without actually doing anything that would put them at odds with anyone until they feel comfortable.