The Thousandfold Speeches of Alejandro Benjázar

Started by Don Nadie, April 08, 2024, 06:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Nadie

[After Primaries ended a (some would say startled) Alejandro got to the Bellows to celebrate his candidacy. The speech, at best passionate and at worst clumsy, rung in the Bellows for all to hear]

QuoteAhem, Alejandro, local Storyteller, back! As I was saying, it is the Lillies's belief that we must endeavour, during this war, to ensure we are a safe haven for the refugees that will no doubt find our walls, pushed by Iakmes's horde. Thus, we will redouble our efforts towards the construction of the new District and dedicate part of our treasury to ensure that the likely increase in displaced people will not affect our grain storages.

Furthermore, I not only do agree with candidate Balstan's proposal of dedicating some dinari to homaging our heroes, recording our battles and raising our spirits through Art but have already comitted my own personal funds to such.

Remember, oh Ephia: the League of White is not opposed to greatness, but to opression; not enemy of excellency, but of tyranny! For, as we work together, collectively, we are able to reach much higher than any single one of us ever would.

And with that little bit of a speech, I abandon the Bellows. I shall be availible at the altar of Warad, ringing my guitar and ready to be asked questions. Live and drink!

[Afterwards, it is said the candidate spent an hour or so by the Pilgrim, exchanging tales and songs with a few people. Of note: there were both voiced and voiceless. Of note, too, Atticus, Prelate of Nasreen Shabani, was also there... And apparently some of the songs were meant to "cheer him up".

Though they did eventually exchange arguments as to why their respective Leagues were more suited for the Seat, the event was still, no doubt, a tad unusual. Then again, not many candidates have a guitar, either?]

Don Nadie

[An announcement rings in the Bellows by the Candidate of the League of White, Alejandro Benjázar... Apparently, a Great Asterabadian Raffle is to take place]

QuoteBuen día, beloved Ephians! This is your local Storyteller, Alejandro Benjázar. Running as I am for the League of White, I feel it important to remind us all of one of our tenets: everyone /has/ a Voice.

For indeed, all of us can speak and form opinions. By no means is the pauper's Voice less worthy than the King's, as it is only happenstance that gave each their lot in life. And both folly and wisdom, as history shows, are found at every level of society.

Yet, though we all have a Voice, not all have the paper that gives us the right to vote just yet. Someday, hopefully, but not at present. We must, then, strive forward and fight for our ideals, so that the time will eventually come.

And in that spirit, I would like to announce a Great Asterabadian Raffle! Come, oh Voiceless, and find me. Give me your name, and by the end of the electoral period, one of you shall be given a Voice by the same happenstance that made you caravaneer, scribe, mercenary, pauper or priest.

I shall be, for now, by the Pilgrim. Come there, for the raffle or just to ask questions about the League's policies or my own. Or, if you are not interested, come at least for the company and song. Live and drink!

[It would appear all it takes is to give one's name, as a Voiceless, to have a chance of winning a Voice. Of course, there may be those who question such things... But the Candidate seems to have ideas of his own!]

Don Nadie

[In response to some (for the candidate) late-night speech by his rival, Alejandro Benjázar gave a speech upon the Bellows...]

QuoteMy beloved Ephians, this is your local Storyteller speaking, Alejandro Benjázar. My honorable rival in this election believes that Merit alone should give Voices and is baffled at the idea of a raffle for them. Baffled, he says, wondering how it aligns with my principles.

Yet, how does it not? 'Merit' is a lovely concept, even if nowadays it seems to mean mostly gold. But, when making decisions, ought not the people involved have their say? Merit alone leaves the pious mother voiceless at the Assembly, when others argue whether her children to War.

Does B'aara tell us to quench the thirst of those who have provided their share? Does the Wanderer ask us to carry messages for those who prove their worth only? Does Kula teach us to feed those who have contributed first?

No. We are all equal in the eyes of the Wheel, and it is upon the teachings of our Spokes that I declare our equal Right to participate in governance. That is the future that the Lillies pursue, a future in which all demonstrate merit while starting from the same spot.

My rival asks how it aligns with my principles, and I say: how does it not? I shan't be buying a vote to a supporter, I shan't be bribing a voter. There shall be a Great Asterabadian Raffle, and the winner shall be free to choose... As is their Spokes-given Right!

Some come and give me your names, Ephians! Or come heed us at the Krak! For señor Balstan and I are there, right now, and perhaps we shall debate Right and Merit, as befits our Asterabadian election. Live and drink!

[These Bellows were followed by an incensed speech accusing the candidate of cynicism. Apparently, the White and Gold candidate later shared a table, with the first answering a series of questions on both the Great Asterabadian Raffle and the principle of giving voices to everyone. Cynicism accusations were reiterated, also, apparently much to the Lilly's chagrin. At least, an example of Asterabadian debate in action?

Don Nadie

[As the voting period began, a speech rang into the Bellows]

QuoteBuen día, my beloved Ephians! This is your local Storyteller, Alejandro Benjázar. This morn, once more, I was reminded of one of the Lillies's tenets. For, once more, some coward broke one of my Hidden Poems somewhere in this city, and it had to be replaced.

Some of you may know these pieces. I have, over time, filled many corners of the Great Ash Desert with artwork - a surprise, to those who may wander upon it. They are some of my best Art, yet they are also tucked away for whomever may manage to find it.

For me, they are a metaphor of our lives, dear Ephians. We do not do not do good in the expectation of reward, or hoping to be known, but because the doing is a reward in itself. Giving the world art, effort, bravery, heroism, generosity... These things make the world better. They are a gift.

As the voting period begins, let us remember to believe in one another. To believe in what we can do together. Let us raise as one, with trust for our fellow Ephian. Let us show generosity, kindness, and bravery in the face of our many foes.

I hope to be worthy of your trust, oh Ephians. But, most of all, I hope you shall vote with your consciousness in the Asterabadian manner. Should you have questions about my policies or the White League's, come find me at the foot of the Pyramid. Up the Heron! Up the Lillies! Live and drink!

[Afterwards, the candidate sat by the feet of the Pyramid with his trusty guitar and a bright smile, playing music, greeting voters and inviting the Voiceless to put their names for his Great Asterabadian Raffle.]

Don Nadie

[One last speech rang in the Bellows by an apparently very busy Alejandro Benjázar, who inmediately rushed elsewhere]

QuoteMy beloved Ephians, this is your local Storyteller, Alejandro Benjázar! As the poll nears its end, the question of every election remains: what are we? In every election, get a chance to respond, and every election the answer shifts.

Sometimes we choose between warriors and scholars. Sometimes we have a criminal fool who is just "asking questions about slavery". Sometimes, blessedly so in this case, we have decent people, trying to do different things. Every election is a question and it is up to us to answer.

To me, this election has been more burdensome than most. I stepped in due to tragedy, to ensure our ideals and tenets were represented and discussed. Elections are a question, but so too is campaigning. How will you do it, Ephians? What will you offer? What will you give? What are you willing to sacrifice?

I have tried to campaign in the streets rather than backrooms, with openness and cheer. I have gotten to know many of you I did not knew before, Voiced and Voiceless alike. With many, I have debated the merits of the Lilly and our ideals, much-stained by long neglect. Many, I have convinced.

I am thankful for those who have listened to me, thankful for all those who have seen fit to support me... And proud, too, of some of the people who have chosen /not/ to. Elections are a question: what will you renounce, for power? How willing are you to use deceit, to sell influence, to peddle in policy?

I know what my answer has been. And I have trust that my honorable rivals, too, have found their own answers. Now the question remains before you, Ephians: our three names, awaiting your response. Vote, oh Ephians, as is your Spokes-given Right... And remember always: we're in this together.

Up the Lilly! Up the Heron! Live and drink!