A letter to the Pyramid [Domhnall]

Started by Don Nadie, September 24, 2023, 07:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Nadie

My dear friend,

I lamment that the announcement has been made while I slept. I was hoping to offer some small tweaks in the morning, to make it less unpalatable and help you.

I understand you made a promise. I also fear it may well cost the Lillies a victory, and you, re-election. Many will feel taken for granted, more will feel betrayed. For the sake of the Tower's Voices, you may lose twice as many. This was not something that will, ultimately benefit the Well. It was, strategically, a mistake.

I am sorry. I do not want to sound reproachful, but I also owe you the honesty I promised, long ago.

Yours, as ever,

Alejandro

Don Nadie

My dear friend,

Yesterday, I fear I was hurt and snappy. I felt betrayed, sad, increasingly so as the day advanced... And Aubrey's triumphantly fiery return did much to suck all oxigen and reason from the room. But the Sisters... They were right, as ever. I know you wish to do right by me, as I do, by you. And you cannot know why this matter of licenses felt so significant, why it weights so heavy in my heart.

Perhaps we could have that long-postponed coffee? A chance to speak, without interruptions or gawking eyes, without me feeling I must perform the professional for the eyes of Scribes. Without wondering if they are whispering at the other side of the table, judging me...

You know us, artists, and our insecurities.

Yours, as ever,

Alejandro

Erudiche

[A response is conveyed swiftly, written in Domhnall's tight hand]

Alejandro,

I apologize for my anger and harsh words the other day in turn. They came at the end of a deeply stressful series of episodes, and likely before the commission of several more. Aubrey has a way of making me take leave of my compassion and sense.

I would like to speak over coffee indeed. I am deeply sorrowful that you have been so personally harmed by the present circumstances. It was never my intention to hurt you.

Domhnall
Redemption! Redemption!

Don Nadie

My dear friend,

Aubrey is certainly... An event. Let's have that coffee. The sooner, the better.

Yours, as ever,

Alejandro

Don Nadie

My dear friend,

I am noticing a few pieces being set. Not all of them evident.

A discreet meeting before the next Assembly may be advisable, so as to peruse our League's path forward. If you do not think there'll be time, let me know, and I'll make sure the intelligence reaches you through other channels.

Yours, as ever,

Alejandro

Erudiche

Alejandro,

I do not think there will be time. Forward to me any questions you have and anything you wish said.

Domhnall
Redemption! Redemption!

Don Nadie

My dear friend,

I imagined as much, considering how little time there is. I also think I'll be quite busy in the following days, so chances to meeting will, likely, be slim. I have spoken with Squeev, however, who no doubt will inform you.

Instead, here's a little gift. Alkabi poetry is quite lovely, I find, and I'm sure you may enjoy a chance for some relaxed reading, in between endless meetings...

Yours, as ever,

Alejandro

[The little note is accompanied by a booklet titled "The Wine Songs", a little tome of Alkabi poems praising the sweetness of wine and the pleasure of drunkenness. Alas, the only ones remaining are those famous verses where Khairesh al Amar drowns when, drunkenly, he tries to kiss the moon's reflection in a lake. The rest... Is something else entirely]

Don Nadie

My dear friend,

We should speak soon, perhaps. Yesterday was an evening for celebration, but work, sadly, never ends.

On the one hand, politics. Alas. I got an idea you may like for policy, and a few thoughts you might be interested to hear.

On the other, and much better, impish fun. Before Elections begin anew, I think you probably ought to indulge in it. Tending to the heart, and all that.

Yours,

Alejandro

Don Nadie

My dear friend,

Yesterday was a delight, and well-worth enduring three hours of Sand-Gate nonsense. I will admit some surprise: I was expecting the evening to be interrupted by a horde of Jannisaries at any moment...

In more serious matters, I think we were both reminded of the Veteran's plight. I would ask if you did get a chance to count the number of Red Hill veterans without a Voice... I remember, in initial discussions, that it didn't seem too large a number. We could arrange something similar to the Jannisaries's bounty, where the College would pay for their Voices, and the coin would then be transfered back to us. This has been part of our agenda for some time...

Finally, let me share a bit of gossip: the Sandstone College is displeased about the Licenses being in the hands of the Tower, joining the chorus of unhappy scholars. You, of course, know well my opinion on the deal and how it affects our League's chances.

Politics out of the way, please send my regards to Steve Odjamer, dutiful scribe. Should he wish to travel somewhere, he needs but to ask.

Ever yours,

Alejandro

Don Nadie

My dear friend,

I have received word of a diplomatic mission to Il Modo, to take place in two-days time. One, from what I've been told, requiring a representative of each faction of the Accord.

I find myself, at present, a bit exhausted with the turns and twists of our city's politics. The matters of the Beast, the intrigues, the delays and the treachery, weight heavily in my heart. Thus, I'd welcome the oppoturnity for a bit of sea-breeze and the chance to see Il Modo. One of our Students, Samira, has also manifested great interest in accompanying the delegation.

Feel free to reach for me.

Yours, as ever,

Alejandro

PS: I do not think I know enough curses to express how much I regret missing your seminar on Asterbadian theory. Hopefully next time.

Don Nadie

[It takes a thoughtful Alejandro far too long to write the tiny note that arrives at the pyramid next. A few extremely long versions lay scattered arround his office]

I'm told I was, in fact, already requested.

Thank you.

Don Nadie

[A short latter makes its way to the Pyramid.]

Domhnall,

What happened to Khalid was a disgrace. I have spend far too long, this eve, weighting my own badge. I'm taking a step back, before I find myself turning to scorch. After last week, I don't want to discover whether there is an even deeper rock bottom for me.

Be brave, be bold, be good. Find me if you need me, or want to.

Alejandro