Arcane Mimic: A tiny bit more flexibility

Started by Dredi, July 26, 2013, 09:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dredi

I understand, of course that the class sacrifices flexibility for its abilities and its somewhat the point.

The issue i find is that, without outside help, the class becomes unable to even beat even rock-worms and the like - given the option to only draw from potions and cast spells, there's no way to store offensive spells of any sort for a time of need - even with the expenditure of gold, there's no real way to do it.

My thought is this - if it is not considered breaking in anyway or some such.

The character has an innate (but notably rather low) spell resistance which goes up a few points as the character levels to 5 and 8 (there is no noted progression past 8, at SR 14)

Would it be possible to have offensive spells directed at the caster which are successfully resisted, be given a chance (does not need to be 100%) to give the player an undroppable, unsellable "spell shard" item, which allows the single, one time casting of that spell - and from which the player can draw an offensive spell, destroying the shard in the process.

These can be limited if you like to 1 or 2 per character level, or even less if preferred, You could limit it all sorts of ways I imagine.

Alternatively, you could consider a way to absorb friendly (cast by another person) or stolen spells (cast by you_ in a similar way, for use at a later date - as this would not lead to the potential of players casting on players for these bonus stores.

Its a thought anyway, feel free to add your opinions or your own spins on the matter.

Random_White_Guy

Having played a Mimic I'll admit there's a learning curve.

However on EFU with the presence of wands, scrolls, etc there's a lot of capabilities for a Mimic beyond the average caster.

Particularly on longer quests or groups of large people it's entirely possible to collect and throw out every concievable buff spell as well as a wide variety of offensive spells.

My advice would be keep sticking out with it, collect and purchase scrolls, wands, and potions from people when you are able and focus on these as a fighter would armor/weapons.

On the whole the class is hugely flexible but there is a definite time in which you have to learn which spells to store, which to toss, and how to go about proactively planning for larger quests/events.

When in doubt, give a shout- PCs are always eager to see their measly level 3 bull's strength pot spread to everyone, last longer, and give overall benefit to the group through the mimic. Same with healing. No one heals like a Mimic!
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

HalflingPower

Mimic is currently the strongest support PC type in EFU.

You can brew anything, all hail the mimic.

Aethereal

Also a suggestion, of course it doesn't count when you can't find anyone else about, but why not seek out a mage and creatively acquire or point-blank request for an offensive spell or otherwise to be cast for your needs?

You might have to roleplay a little, and possibly offer something in exchange though...
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.