Barbarian Battlestyle: Punisher

Started by Dredi, March 19, 2014, 04:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dredi

Love it, I have to say I really do but one major flaw comes to mind in Ghostly visage.

Ghostly visage practically cancels out the damage from this entirely - which is in itself a very common spell especially for PvP.

Would it be possible perhaps to have the damage shields do damage at a +1 enhancement for the purposes of piercing damage resistance? or some other way around it, it just seems a little lame that a level 2 spell can counter the benefit of an entire perkline.

Zango_Unchained

I also think that there should be some sort of RP requirement because I've noticed a growing trend when people take punisher and never emote any aspect of the MASSIVE SPIKES that should be adorning your armor or some sort of offensive part that is your armor. Rather then just taking it for a free damage shield.

Damien

I'd hope people would think of better ideas than having spiked armour tbh. The perk is fine as it is, especially when if you blur yourself you will just wreck quests with it!

Nuclear Catastrophe

Eh, no, doesn't need any more boosts, if anything we should consider nerfing this.

Talir

This is one of the stronger barbarian battlestyles and will indeed have its damage shield lowered before anything else is considered.

Dredi

Thats fair enough then. I've never really played the other barbarian styles, so I would not know to say.

The Samophlange

Having just come off of playing a Punisher Barbarian, I think the perk is actually in a pretty good spot, as far as balance is concerned. It is -very- strong against other players in a one on one environment, but as said is easily negated by potions of blurring, keeping it from being too strong. Against most dangerous monsters it offers relatively little. The damage is nice, but when a Umber hulk is popping you for 20 damage, a reflexive 6 isn't going win you the war. It's a strong talent, and a lot of fun, but I don't think it's the best Barbarian perk. That's probably Craven.

I think a big part of the fun is roleplaying how they fight to get this style. I liked to portray mine as weaving in punches, elbows, and shoulder bashes when his enemy swung, as he fought unarmored too often to rely on the 'spikes' excuse.

el groso

I agree with The Samolhlange. The spikes are a way to portray it of course, but I rather not limit the damage return to it. Punisher is meant to hurt, damage, punish... Whether with spikes, wild punches, kicks, headbutts, shield slam, what have you, the damage return can be just the guy ignoring the opponent attacks to keep hurting him regardless.

That said, blur can pretty much null the damage return feature... I guess anything has its weaknesses, but even without the damage return, they can still be very much dangerous.

petey512

If you read the description of the perk zango it doesn't necessarily say just spikes.

Quote:

Punisher

Engaging in a brutal battle style that is as much about inflicting pain that it is for the enemy to hit you, the Punisher is a master at getting up close and personal with the enemy and returning damage - twicefold. Whether by BRAWLING OR through deadly spikes on reinforced armor, few are able to withstand the pain coming when the Punisher is in the field.

That said punisher seems pretty balanced to me. I'd suggest reducing the damage at level 8 at the most. And that would be while raging only btw. Folks would get hit for 3d6 damage while raged
"Proving concerned parents from the 80's wrong, just in time for them to be dead. "

The Samophlange

Actually it would not be 3d6. Here's the way it works:

Punisher starts getting a 1d4 damage shield during rage. Without any charisma modifiers, this will stay 1d4 the entire lifespan of the character. At level 5, they pick up an always-on damage shield of a different damage tpye than the rage one. This one upgrades at 8 to 1d6. So, with 10 charisma while ragin you'd get 1d6+1d4 damage shield. Nasty for certain characters to go against, but nothing too crazy.

Really, the best way to kill a punisher is either big weapons or ranged attacks. And, of course, magic. I had to spend a TON of feats and gear to keep Kojirak from having 3 will at level 9.