Bowyer (or Fletcher) NPC that sells mighty bows (and maybe better ammunition).

Started by Poolson, September 30, 2020, 01:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poolson

What?: A bowyer NPC that has set up shop in The Burgage or a woodsman's camp at Castle Misreth. This NPC sells bows with the mighty quality (composite bows). Or arrows, if it's a fletcher.

Why?: Bows in EFU, I feel, don't really get a lot of love. Of course there were options, once upon a time, that sort of made up the difference, with The Hunger or Wisdom, but both bows aren't available, now that Ticker Square has been destroyed.

IC wise, composite bows aren't really a high science and any bowyer could put forth the effort on a custom commission. It's as the same mundane level as the Longbow (not to imply the process is the same. There's more steps to the Composite bow than just making a simple Longbow).

How?
Two ways, the conservative way, that keeps itemization to established EFU standards, and the new way, which would make the bows deal just a bit less damage than buffed John Sword and Board.

[hide=Suggestion 1, Bowyer vendor by EFU standards.]
The merchant sells Longbows, Shortbows, Light Crossbows and Heavy Crossbows.

+1 Mighty Weapon, 500 GP.
+2 Mighty Weapon, 1,000 GP.
+3 Mighty Weapon, 1,500 GP.[/hide]

[hide=Suggestion 2, Bowyer vendor selling items to the new way.]
The merchant sells Longbows, Shortbows, Light Crossbows and Heavy Crossbows.

+1 Mighty Weapon, 500 GP.
+2 Mighty Weapon, 1,000 GP.
+3 Mighty Weapon, 1,500 GP.
+4 Mighty Weapon, 2,000 GP.

This vendor also sells ammo from a fletcher business partner.
Bodkin Arrow/Bodkin Bolt: 1D4 bonus piercing damage, 50 GP per bundle of 99.
Broadhead Arrow/Broadhead Bolt: 1D4 bonus slashing damage, 50 GP per bundle of 99.[/hide]

Egon the Monkey

I've seen enough Mighty +1 and Mighty +2 bows as drops to know this wouldn't break the game in the slightest. Hell, there's even a +3 with some drawbacks. The nice thing about Mighty is it's reliant on your STR score, so it rewards not minmaxing.

EfU  has got a lot better for bows since MW/GMW works on them, but the best use of them is still interrupting enemy casters. To do that, you need to be able to hit with enough brute force to dunk their concentration check.

Giving a  non-secret shop this sort of thing would be great. I'd rather be able to spend a big chunk of money to get the key item for my PC now, than to pray for a drop. Much like custom fullplate or a shop relic is expensive, but it's guaranteed to be available.  There are some great weapons of all sorts in unreliaable and inaccessible areas, but you are reliant on progress and luck to find them. An expensive shop would make finding a +2 Mighty bow so much more exciting because you just saved 2 grand.

Thrown weapons don't really compete with bows anyway, they have other niches.

• The 0 Weight darts that you just carry as an emergency backup on your melee PC
  • Halflings.

Quivers would also be good because they solve the hoarder problem. If you have 200 +1d4 arrows, you will hoard them "until I need them" and probably die with them in your inventory. If you can make 20 a rest, you'll burn them whenever you run into a tough fight, as you can make more. Same goes for if you can buy them at sensible prices, as then they're just  consumable like blurs.

tl;dr: This is the same argument essentially for "why relic stores should be permanently available, not random spawns". That got added so priests were guaranteed the thing they needed to reach a decent power level. Please let archers do the same.

Poolson

In light of today's recent conversations, I refitted this suggestion with some edits and wanted to bring it back up for consideration!

Arslefjun

I don't think this is desirable at the moment.
But if it was you can assume the prices in your suggestion would be upped by x10.