Give Trolls quest a rebalancing pass

Started by Hound, February 13, 2019, 02:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

This quest's mob spawn ratio for party sizes of 6+ makes the quest effectively impossible, even for high level groups of mostly level 8+ characters. It really does not fit the power level of EFU:COR characters and is basically untouchable unless you are a very small group size.

Moonlighter

Yeah, this quest is literally impossible when it scales up like this if you have even a few bodies in there. Actually, factually impossible, unless it's just meant for a group of dwarf Swashbucklers or something to take on.

I'm sure the solution is just to "bring less people," but given that there's not really a *choice* of what quests you can go do in this chapter, you just wind up doing whatever is available with whoever is present. The NPCs are fine-- maybe too much health, maybe-- but just the sheer numbers of spawns, sheer number of dispels, and pure walls of HP means a I'm never going to willingly do this quest again.

What you see in Hound's screenshot was over 20 minutes into the quest, after we'd already killed probably twice as many trolls as you've seen in this picture, eaten about three dispels each, and were circling the drain in turns of having *any* magic to go around... CL7 darkfire all around wore off by the time that we got to this point, where there's still at least 20 more trolls on screen.

Grouch

I did this with max party size a couple times. After you get through the 60ish trolls that bamboozle you at the entrance it isn't so bad.

I think the pay could use an upgrade though, 100g is a little puny for the enemy count. Thats's like half a gold coin per kill for each person.

The supply loot tends to be fairly worthwhile, but you certainly have to be PREPARED for the challenge.
Things will never be the same (I've applied too much ketchup to this hamburger)

Pandip

This quest is okay with a small party but is absolutely deadly with more than ~4. The number of war trolls could definitely use some scaling back and the nature of the quest as it was in EFU:M (big mobs charging en masse) doesn't work very well with the current balance of the server. And as the above people have mentioned, the dispels can be absolutely crippling considering a) how long the quest is b) how unavailable potions for rebuffing are.

Yamo B. There

There were 12 other trolls not pictured in that screenshot; I counted.
That's 32 trolls, after killing twice as many just to get to that point.
And it's still not near over.

Echoing Pandip, I have heard from many people that quests from the EFU:M era tend to be like this due to that chapter's supply bloat or general power level, but it really doesn't seem to suit the more modern approach to quest design and itemization.

I love cats

I"ve managed to do this quest and think it is fine as is. Yeah you need quite a bit of supplies and a capable party to pull it off.  Raiding an army of trolls is no easy task!

VanillaPudding

Assuming this is the same implementation as prior versions, I would say that it indeed is a little "too much" for the level range. When it was in the bogs it was a 5-10 quest with 2-8 party size originally. A lot of the problem with this quest however is the typically unavoidable damage from the puss spores / stone throwers.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Providence

Have done it several times with 8 at high level, always gets the blood pumping and the noggin' joggin'.

I would rather it not be made easier.

HOWEVER I'd like there to be one of those "can only open with 7-8 people" gold chests at the end to reward you duly for the struggle.