Bestow Curse

Started by Random_White_Guy, June 14, 2011, 01:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draon17

Quote from: 9lives;244168Explain how anyone able to use bestow curse is harnessing H'bala's withering?

Agreed. Means of accelerating the withering maliciously is all well and good, but it should need be obtained through some interaction with her minions or study of those severely afflicted. A player who has never stepped out of Mistlocke following his/her dream sequence really shouldn't have access to it.

Maybe a one time quest for evil characters somewhere on the Island could reward them with the knowledge or an item to help spread the withering.

One_With_Nature

ALso remove curse seems to cost the person 150xp now, so i can see poeple misusing something like this.

Ebok

Quote from: derflaro;244384I think the idea of having a less often used spell  or others means to amplify of contribute to the speed of the curse is cool, though I don't think it should necessarily be something as easy as Bestow Curse, nor do I know if such already exists.

Maybe something like the spell Enervation.
Seconded.

Bestow Curse is already too good, especially with cursed items now requiring someone to loose a chunk of exp to "un-curse" and remove.

TheImpossibleDream

XP loss on casting remove curse? Really? Wow, thats horrible.

Egon the Monkey

It's because Remove counteracts Withering, check the help on that. Without XP loss, a PC with Remove Curse could keep resting and spamming until he strips all his Withering effects away.

I would argue however that 150 XP could be a bit much. If you get to 7-8, that's a significant chunk of earned XP that you're blowing, and you need regular castings to keep you and your allies safe. Of course it's less of a big deal if NPCs still cast Remove for higher prices, but it still looks like Curse and Cursed items are a good way to sap a lot of XP off a PC or annoy the hell out of them because nobody wants to burn the XP to cure them. If you're new here, something to note is that Bestow Curse will make an item Cursed.

If this turns out to be game-breaking, perhaps instead make Remove Curse bestow a scripted "exhaustion" effect for 12 hours, using something like the drugs system so you can't just Lesser Restoration past it. Means you have choice between healing people or fighting well.

Draon17

I like Egon's idea. Partially because I like the idea of less combat oriented characters. While the XP loss has a similarly combat hindering effect, it would also prevent a dedicated healing character from obtaining higher level spells, thus making it an all around undesirable path to take.