ranged/mee touch attack spell confusion

Started by blahblahblah, March 21, 2015, 04:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blahblahblah

after reading through some posts trying to get acclimated more with the server environment i came across this in regards to ranged/melee touch attack abilities and am a bit confused....do ranged touch attack and melee touch attack spells offer some benefit than those with just a standard dc or sr check dont?

i.e. crit chance on hit even with crit immunity or if on hit..near max/max damage?

"Range touch are amazing because you are making the roll againt their save instead of having them make a roll against your spell dc. Plus with Range touch attacks if you hit with the attack you hit for full power there is no way to half the dam it's full hit or full miss. Usually most people have a rather low + to Will, Fort and Ref saves compared to a their roll against a dc check."

"Generally, guaranteed full damage (per "in the max range", rather than "as per maximized") is a whopper of a benefit... a reason it's mainly limited to a profoundly beatable and somewhat lower-damage spell like magic missile.
Ranged touch is a price one pays to accommodate another benefit -- in this case damage and potential for a round of stun/whatever, without the target's ability to Spell Resist. Besides, who in the world is really great at avoiding a ranged touch? Rogues, that's about it."

"Fun facts about touch attacks. They can crit on targets immune to crits. They negate quite a bit of ac. Though I would like to see the rays that you suggested. The spells are a bit crazy. Negative energy protection is not on par with True seeing at any level."

Paha

Ranged / melee touch attacks require you to pass an basic AC / dodge AC check. This is dodge ac, dexterity bonus, deflection ac, etc. Basicly it is AC you have left after you are denied all your armor and shield AC. With range you measure you touch attack ab with dex, melee it is strength (I am not sure if weapon finesse applies here, it might) + base attack bonus and so on. Basically you are trying to make physical hit on target.

If you hit, the spell effect kicks in. Benefit here is, usual immunities or resistances to elements do not apply to diminish the damage if I recall right. Touch attacks can pass these protections as they do not work same to normal spells. Spider web bolts for example are range touch attacks. There is no save against them. If it hits you, it attaches itself to you and there's no saving throws or immunity against it. This though depends on scripts. Some spells have been scripted to be affected by immunities and resistances. For example, vampiric touch.

Dredi

Its also worth noting that some spells - such as ghoul touch - have a touch attack AS WELL as a saving throw.

A touch attack is just a requirement for a spell or ability to take effect it can crit (on a 20 roll only) for spells which support it (from my memory, none in nwn1 actually do, but I may be mistaken).

If the spell has a touch attack and also a DC it should tell you, Will/Fort/Reflex in its decription

Grotesque

Ghoul touch does not have a touch attack in EFU. Nor does vampiric touch.

Paha

As I said. Some spells have been scripted to behave differently.