Gorm Sveinsson

Started by Barbarians at the Gate, April 12, 2011, 04:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barbarians at the Gate

Massively image heavy, more screens than I thought!

Quote from: BackgroundThe obsessed son of a northlander warband leader on  Ruathym, when he  came of age he organised a longship crew to find new  lands and declare  himself Jarl of this new territory with his lifelong  friend and lover, Bjorn  Wavebreaker. Heading south into unknown waters (And  possibly the end of  the world), they were taken by the mists and shown  strange fantastical  visions, loosing their minds to it in the process.  Decades later, the  unaged, bewildered, malnourished Gorm emerged from  the mists, his mind  somehow clear, to find himself on a strange,  impossible island.

Gorm Sveinsson is descended from a line of slavers, raiders, pirates and   merchants. Gorm   follows the Way of the Bear, or, the Berserk, which he reaches by   ingesting a combination of drugs to achieve a state of calm rage and   draw upon his inner strength.

Before he left on his expedition, he made a living raiding the Moonshae coast and enslaving the Ffolk.

I had lots of fun with Gorm, unfortunately I didn't have as much time to play him as I would have liked, nor did I take screenshots of the better moments of his life. Much of the character was taken from Old Norse/Germanic culture, if you're interested, go here. The way he fought, I never got past level 6 until the end. Anyway, here's my multitude of self-promoting screenshots.

Random boast

Gorm thought by ritually defeating and eating a bear he would become a better fighter, ultimately he wanted to turn into a bear in battle. It's what he pursued and what ultimately killed him.

His booze addiction continually worsened, by the end the DC to resist was 31. Becoming drunk on mist essence and alcohol was how he channeled the red fury.

Defeat at the Starwood

Early days with Edraen

Mist quest against giants, we were slaughtered three times before a noble sacrifice was demanded, collapsing the cavern in order to finish them off. Gorm, Jubari and Adrian drew straws. Gorm was selected, taunted the giants to lead them to the death cavern... and promptly got lost, eventually dying to one of the horde that was following him as he struggled to find what he needed to. Jubari had to pick up the slack, alas, dying honourably and taking Gorm's place.

Readying to fight once more after a bloody defeat

Result of fighting giants (With the evil new monster potion drinking scripts!)

Our folly

The sacrifice is decided, poor Jubari took Gorm's place when Gorm failed.

Taunting giants

Post Jubari

Readying for El Gulgotha

Damn women ordering Gorm about

Summoning the berserkergang

Mannichus' lair, after screaming for him, axe drawn, atop a mound.

Loot:

Gorm went hunting a massive dire polar bear, hoping to eat the bear and take its strength for his own. Bringing a skald along to tell of the struggle, they set off in hunt, through hordes of frost breathing wolves, frost giants, ogres and polar bears.

Final stats

The Old Hack

Poor Gorm! He was cool. Ah well, I hope you had a good time, looking forward to your next character!

KRUNTO

Gorm was amazing. Good job! Can't wait to see what is next.

Ebok

Gorm was very cool, I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to interact with him more as Victor.

Canzah

Afraid I didn't see him around much, but a very cool character from what I can tell!

Shamtastic

Gorm the fierce!  That quest was epic, and it seemed you want on to even greater things.  Great char man, really enjoyed our short time together.

Maven of the Strings

I think that was the last person to leave the server before we had it all to ourselves. Kind of neat lil event, the kind I didn't think I would see any more.

Nice home, apparently part of an apartment block, if you paid attention to the mini map.

Took a while to get outside, mostly due to being stuck in a not yet perfected Matrix effect, so I took this shot from a couple different angles. None was all that exciting..

I'll edit out most of the fighting but here you see the usual reaction that Gorm got: The beasts running away in panic, just to get sidetracked and quite literally 'hit on' the hapless supportive bystanding songstress. Ack.

Those ogres, who were not amused to have their tea party interrupted by such ruffians, were probably the more harmless encounters. I mean, wow, I actually managed to hit something there.

Here's the Kuldin mountain equivalent of the Seven Sisters giants, who were on their little-league A game, tossing rocks back and forth.

It really was pretty tall, wasn't it..? I guess those missiles were like the only bit of damage I actually caused here, despite the size of that thing I had a hard time of actually hitting it, must be the camouflage of white on white.

A better angle to compare. Also: "TEMPUS HEARS YOU, GORM! THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME OUT OF THAT BOTTLE!"

And here we get our "Nooooooo" moment, as Sona tries to fathom the depth of this chasm by waiting for the impact sound of the falling bodies. Despite being a rather keen listener, she claims that it never occurred.

You probably were quite thrilled to find out which other characters made it back alive except for all of them? And of course we're trying to squeeze just a little more trite out of it, quite for naught.

Sadly I didn't get to know Gorm much outside of that li'l adventure-gone-wrong, but I'll make good on my promise. Sooo.. there may be more about this.

Later days!

Coldburn

And to think Dherzil and Gorm even had a hard time battling the Cave Bear. That Polar bear looks insane!

el groso

I enjoyed him very much! It seems to me that he has had very nice character development, and saw a lot! Amazing loot also! Kudos

Juzza

Great character, I enjoyed the times I interacted with him.

AKMatt

Gorm was a badass.  Good times!