Need advice on buying a pc

Started by Denko, June 27, 2009, 12:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExileStrife

"Gaming" laptops really aren't worth it.  You could take the same amount of money you'd spend on a "gaming" laptop and put it towards a computer that's twice as good (if not better...WAY better), as well as a 22 inch+ monitor which will have an infinitely more pleasing "gaming" experience.  You'll just regret buying a 12 pound brick with a tiny screen that gets so incredibly hot you won't be able to keep your fingers on wasd for any amount of time.

However, like many have said in this thread, if it's JUST nwn you want to play, it's easy to get a modern laptop that'll handle it, even with some of the integrated video cards.  The gaming laptops are just simply ridiculous -- you'll be paying an insane premium for hot block of metal and plastic.

Vista is fine too, btw.  Even for gaming.

Semli

I have random crashes on my new vista machine when I play certain games made for XP (NWN amongst them, but they occur infrequently enough that its quite playable). I should probably sit down and start troubleshooting the hell out of it, but the main reason behind the purchase was to save myself headaches when I wanted to game and not have to toggle a bunch o' crap.

I can't say too much bad about it, except that for some of the titles I enjoy, I've lost some backwards compatability. Moreover, I second Exile's comments and went desktop myself.

Cruzel

Btw, pretty much every modern laptop has built-in wireless, and I can pretty much guarantee anything made after 2005 will be able to play NWN without a sweat as long as your wireless router you are connected to does not suck.

(Sorry OP. I didn't read all of your post)

Halfbrood

Be careful though, my wireless card melted itself.

Denko

Thanks a lot for the advice, guys.