About random events

Started by Denko, June 27, 2009, 07:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denko

QuoteSimilarly, it is also possible for monsters such as nightrisers, orcs, etc. to invade/attack the city without any DM present. So do not assume a DM is watching on these occasions. They are only there to provide a bit of excitement at random times.
While I love the idea of random quests, random attacks on the ziggurat don't seem as exciting. I don't see how this improves the server in any way. It may even be harmful, since there could be problems such as people logging on the ziggurat just in the middle of a group of mobs, mobs overrunning the ziggurat because there aren't enough pcs to beat them... When a dm runs these events, that kind of stuff can be avoided, and it's generally more fun than a random AI attack which I believe doesn't really apport anything. Opinions?

Luke Danger

If it's an attack, how about spawn NPC's capable of migitating the damage entering the scene? Example, Orc attack, a squad of Armsmen answer the call and can beat the attack back. Also, have a safe spot where all PC's in the area will be temporarily diverted to upon relogging as to avoid such, so if I logged out where the orcs would be killing, I'd instead be moved to the Sergeant (who could of won Red Elient by himself, if 1000+ HP only took his arm off) where I can then responds WITHOUT being in the middle of it.

And if it's a random attack, how about just a skirmisheer raid, example, 2 Riser Warriors, 2 Riser Archers, and a Warlock. Pretty small strike team and most PC's can repel it solo w/buffs, but it's not going to endanger the server.

Also, have them have to get past guards (IE, since the Temple District has no guards now that the Order's gone, they should be attacking via that, which allows the Stygians to intercept the attack and actually earn their pay).

Cruzel

I tend to agree with this.  I have on more than one occasion logged in during  nightriser invasions run by MORT right in the middle of a clod of the undead jerks. The only reason my PC wasn't killed on sight was stealthmode.

Perhaps flagging the area under attack, and if the person logging in it going to enter this area, it moves them to a safe indoors location (Kingsman, etc.) that is near to that area. This would ensure a person doesn't log in and be instantly fugued before they know what's up.

Attacks on the gates or other areas easier to defend maybe, but again I tend to agree that unsupervised attacks are generally a bad thing. If there are no powerhouses online, the monsters could indeed bunch up, be left at transitions by running PCs, or be left to eternally fight the NPCS marked as 'immortal'.

I would prefer to know that for something like this, a DM is in fact there to help if something goes amiss.  A scripted attack system does seem like a good idea, as it prevents the need for a DM to  jump all over the place spawning, and allows them to oberserve more closely the situation.  But I think it should only be fired when a DM is actually present to observe the situation and make sure it goes smoothly.

derfo

Tankerman

I think they've actually thought of most of this.

EDIT: To elaborate, I've been in what I think has been at least one of these "random attacks", and it seemed very well tuned to the characters and NPCs present for it.

djspectre

Personally, I like the attacks, it makes sure I don't put my character in a spawn point thats outdoors.

However, newly created characters might not fare so well if they happen to spawn in right as nightrisers spawn in on the portal. I do think that the idea of having an alternate spawn location during attacks should be scripted....at least for level 2/3 characters who have no hope of surviving a login-gank situation.

Mort

They are very rare. They are well scaled. They are not overpowering. There is a warning beforehand. You can easily run to cover.

djspectre

Porkolt

Also, don't spawn outside unless your character's a bum and sleeps on the streets.

It's retarded.

If you don't want to have your character staying at Kingsman's, there are plenty of other spawn points to choose from.

Drakill Tannan

I think they meant if you log out somewhere in the bridge and log back in later before the reset.

Although that can be fixed easily: don't log off in the bridge

Porkolt

Well, that's pretty much your own fault for logging off in an unsafe location, then.

Thrall

Cudos on the random event idea. Too bad I'm going to join the Sharboneth Hermits.