The final curtain for The Balladeer. (WARNING: Minor Host related Spoilers and LOTS of thumbnails)

Started by Egon the Monkey, September 17, 2008, 12:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egon the Monkey

Egon was the first PC I played properly and with a real concept on EfU (the first guy was a crap LN dualwield Rogue who died a lot) and I'm sorry to see him go.At least he did die to a combination of Stupid Bravery and Extreme Overkill (taunting the Way's Pillars O'Death as a distraction so a Seeker could do a scouting run, since all the tanks were suffering from a bad case of Ray of Pussification ;))

His background was of the chaplain and healer to a group of travelling entertainers. He preferred to be called Chaplain not Priest, as he never felt like a "real preacher". He wrote a lot of books for the library, and once made 400 gold by writing a haiku for a PC Spellguard Agent.

The build was a bard 7/Cleric of Lurue 1 and was 400 XP or something off l9 when he bit the dust of the Way. He made a LOT of wands, and I think at least a quarter of those may have been for that Way run :). At one time or another he'd worked for a lot of factions (Helped out Druids quite a bit, spent a lot of time with Dentra and Wyric trying to start a mushroom farm, was a member of the Cloak and Coin, but not the Thieves' Guild, Squire of House Archibald...)

Really loved his alchemy and using Identify Spells to help his already high Lore, but due to some bug, his Alchemy Set would randomly claim ingredients didn't do anything (I actually both OOC and IC checked with Arkhaman that I had the Thunderstone recipe right). That messed up his study a lot. His usual weapon was a Crossbow, but his favourite weapon was Choking Dust.

So long, and thanks for all the tunes!

LEWTS!
One of Egon's other favorite bits of kit was the Lightened Bedroll Gralg got for him when we went to raid Jubal's Tomb. Prepping spells/Bardsong in the UD makes for a happy Balladeer)
Egon in all his gear (Dunwarren Chain and Lesser Dunwarren Cloak)

Badass Bracers (From Mort's first ever DM quest, in fact both my DM Lewts and my prized 1/day Lesser Dispel Beholder Gem were off Mort Specials. :))

My Hat. This was an amazing hat, and I went through a hell of a quest to get it. It involved trying to invis my entire party and haul out two bodies under both water and the noses of an entire Duergar Expedition at one point. Also I managed to turn a LOT of ghouls with my 1 Cleric Level and 16 CHR :D. I miss my Hat. thanks to that and Surgeon's Knives I had about 23 Heal and spammed Herbs in combat even on the Way.

The DM Quest that I earned it on. Faceless trying to negotiate with the Orog Chief that then killed all the meleers but one, who I was spamhealing like crazy at the end so he could finally finish it off. Of course, this was only about a third of the way through the quest...

The debate I ran before Sanctuary's Last Election.

Total casualties:
-One mage subdued and arrested for buffing up in invis and not cooperating with Everard.
-One chair smashed by Grom to prove he could smash Chosen.
-The last shreds of Silline's dignity after Grom kept hitting on her and she swapped between either ranting or being insulted by attendees. Thanks DrD for making such a great nutter.

With Halara and Lothar, enjoying the fact that a drunken Lothar was lusting after a man in a robe.

Egon hung out with the Host a lot towards the end, in fact providing them with most of the supplies Kedrick wanted for his *spoiler*

Escaping Mur.

In the Kobold city for a bit, when the Host figured they might be wanted for associating (read: Escaping from Duergar) with rebels.

Plotting in Sslalt'eesh

After Dalavan's (I think) crappy driving blew up the animatron we needed for the Machine puzzle, several people tried to fix it. And failed.

The last minutes of the Old EfU Module:

Watching one of the rebel hierarchy Wrestle a Pig. Yes, people like THIS beat the Spellies :P

Egon. Ebon. Both bard/Cleric builds, both in some form of yellow clothing, both with facial hair. Even Kedrick kept confusing us (For the record, *I* wore yellow first :))

On the recieving end of a bloody awful joke for a change.

And, the last time he was seen alive in the encampment:

So, thanks to everyone who RPed/Quested with Egon, but especially Crimson Magician for the Mystery Crap-Rat moments and randomly dropping things in his pockets, The Circle members for being kickass to quest and RP with, TNVW for Hafur and Ebon, Kairn for sharing my appreciation of Choking Powder (It's a lvl 3 Spell effect anyone can use, cheaply!), Mort for giving him a lot to PANIC about, AKMatt for Elina, who was as happy to have Egon as backup as I was to have a Weaponmistress up front, Meldread for the Host, and Agent Cain for explaining conjurative reagents. If I missed you here, then just take your WIN from the general bucket I'm passing round XD.

Garem

lolMushroom Farm. Tsk, too bad it didn't happen. Such a sweet idea. Fun character.

Hammerfist0

I remember when Egon first joined. Always a great character, and perhaps the longest lived bard Ive ever seen on Efu.

He will be missed. :(

Talir

Fantastic character and excellent done!

Joe Desu

And Egon has move on to a better place.
Good show.

morva

No screenies of our debates? LAME

Thomas_Not_very_wise

Good character, did he get a Endlude?

Egon the Monkey

Nope. Didn't get any response to the RP I set up in that Fugue screenie either :(. I see BORING dead people.
EDIT: @Hammerfist.
Really? I think that's in no small part due to the fact that he was an entertainer, scholar and medic, rather than a heavily spelled up low HP melee build who just happened to sing :P. IN fact I've only ever seen one other bard on EFU or EFU:A who habitually used a crossbow rather than a melee weapon. He did however occasionally rush archers with his Shilleighlaugh. I loved that club. Rare drop on Humanoid camp, with +1d4 BLudgeoning.

Thomas_Not_very_wise

He totally deserved one, he was longer lived and far more successful than Ebon Greyhawk was.

Egon the Monkey

Hmm. I'll ask a DM about it :D. But, a lot of PCs died recently and they're busy with EFU:A.

Meldread

Egon was a good character, I liked him and my only regret is that we didn't get a chance to spend more time together.

And toward the end I was being driven insane... Egon, Ebon and Eban.  Those three names... ugh.  It drove me mad, I'd always end up calling someone by the wrong name.