Sneak attacks and Bows

Started by FleetingHeart, August 10, 2009, 07:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FleetingHeart

Well, here's a suggestion I think the DMs will love. Why not disable sneak attacks with ranged weapons?

I always found it odd that it was possible at all, considering how hard it is in PnP to flank a target by using a ranged weapon (and therefore allow sneak attacks against said target).

derfo

FleetingHeart

"The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target."

Problem is, you can't flank with a ranged weapon. So the only times you should get a sneak attack are when the opponent is Flat Footed (held, knocked down, not attacking, etc).

But in NWN, you get them as long as the opponent isn't attacking you. Which, isn't the way it should be, and has perhaps lead to a great deal of sneak attack archers.

Talir

QuoteSneak Attack

Whenever the character makes a successful attack against an opponent who is flat-footed, cannot see them, or who is in combat with someone else, the character's blow delivers extra damage. This extra damage is +1d6 at first level and an additional +1d6 every two levels thereafter. This extra damage is not multiplied in the case of a critical hit.

Sneak attacks can be made with ranged weapons if within 30 feet of the target.

As it is, I find nothing wrong with sneak attacking with a bow. If you can use a dagger to dance into the small slits of a heavily-armored person, you can place an arrow there as well.

FleetingHeart

Quote from: Talir;140107As it is, I find nothing wrong with sneak attacking with a bow. If you can use a dagger to dance into the small slits of a heavily-armored person, you can place an arrow there as well.

DnD disagrees with you, however.

Crod Mondoon

No thanks. This would gimp ranged characters even further.  A good Ranger/rogue  or fighter/rogue  ranged combo makes a more realistic skilled archer imho, simulating that one shot kill through the eye socket, or into the heart.  As it is, ranged chars have a tough enough time dealing out damage.

Mort

Except it's NwN. Oh well. Not sure what you want. We can't modify sneak attack...

FleetingHeart

Ah well. Figured it couldn't be modified, but thought it would be nice if it could be.

TheWastesAreFrozen

Worst idea I've ever seen on here.

Blake the Boar

Eh? Sneak attacks work with ranged weapons in PnP and Neverwinter Nights. You are messing it up with 2nd edition, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, which only allowed the so called 'back stab' with small melee weapons. The name was changed in 3rd edition, for it is not 'stabbing' anymore, instead, it is aiming in fragile parts that cause more harm, be it with a dagger, maul or sling.

IxTheSpeedy

If you look at sneak attack as attacking weak spots or critical spots on an apponent then I think it is more reasonable to do it with a bow than a melee weapon even.  I totally do not agree with this suggestion.

Sorry.

Equinox

Bowmen are already mechanically weaker than every other pc on nwn. making them even weaker is silly. Sorry but the suggest has no merit.

Drakill Tannan

Meh, if an orc is fighting against a tank an archer has sufficient time to observe the pattern and fire at arrow at its crotch.

Besides it's the only way to make an archer that is worth traiding for a fighter. Keep it as it is please.

Blake the Boar

Quote from: Drakill Tannan;140192... it's the only way to make an archer that is worth traiding for a fighter...

This suggestion is terrible and for many reasons I don't agree but rest assured it will never happen. However, it brought the old archers discussion. Of course sneak archers are great and all. But you have no idea what a pure fighter level 6 archer can do, with 3 attacks per turn, with 13 damage per arrow (14 with +1 or elemental dmg), 40 crit damage, awesome AB and called shot. Good archers are not only the sneaker ones.

FleetingHeart

Quote from: Blake the Boar;140178Eh? Sneak attacks work with ranged weapons in PnP and Neverwinter Nights. You are messing it up with 2nd edition, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, which only allowed the so called 'back stab' with small melee weapons. The name was changed in 3rd edition, for it is not 'stabbing' anymore, instead, it is aiming in fragile parts that cause more harm, be it with a dagger, maul or sling.

Actually I was quoting 3e rules. They state, basically, any weapon can sneak attack if the opponent is Flanked or Flat Footed. However, a character cannot Flank an opponent with a ranged weapon.

And yes, I know full well what a full AB Class is capable of with a long bow. That isn't the point. The whole reason for this was due to the DMs stating they don't want a lot of Archers. This would reduce their numbers while sticking with DnD Rules.

Doesn't really matter though, as sneak attacks cannot be modified. So. Yeah.