Changing spells on the fly

Started by FleetingHeart, August 12, 2009, 04:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FleetingHeart

This is part question and part suggestion.

First the question. I'm wondering if it is possible to alter the effects of spells drastically on the fly, say through a dialogue menu.

Second, the suggestion if the above is possible. I would like to see some new spells added in that players could access simply by overwriting a spell of an equal level.

As an example, there are a great many underwater areas in EFU:A, as there were in EFU. Water Breathing spells would, therefore, be somewhat desirable. Now, traditionally this would be a third circle spell for wiz/sorc/druid/cleric. So, the player could choose a third circle spell and temporarily set it to cast Water Breathing instead of something else; perhaps Poison for a Druid. Then, when the Poison spell is cast it bypasses the normal Poison spell script and instead grants Water Breathing on the target.

Another potential spell would be Shield Other, which splits certain damage between the caster and the target.

Deep Slumber, which is an enhanced version of Sleep that works on creatures up to 10HD.

Dream, which in terms of EFU could simply act as a targeted sending system. Could change the name to ... something like Waking Dream. Dunno.

Point is, if something like this is possible, there are a lot of really neat spells that could be added in in this manner.

If not, well, ignore this. I honestly don't know if it's feasible through scripting alone. I've only heard rumors that it is but cannot find anything to substantiate them.

Dhund

It is possible, by doing an If/Else statement, where if there is a variable set on the PC by the dialogue (or by equipping, say the Amulet of the Depths), the spell triggers the alternate version instead.

I imagine its more a matter of if the time cost is worth it, and if the underwater scripts are easily modified to check if water breathing is in place when it does the rounds of air remaining.

And of course, it is a balance question, would water breathing destroy the threat of any water area, making it just another place to pass by, instead of a place you prepare for.
<@Mort> Dhund is on the money, imo

Verybigliar

there are bubble berries. Get them.

FleetingHeart

Quote from: Verybigliar;140443there are bubble berries. Get them.

There are healing potions. Does that mean we should never have a priest around to cast the actual spells?

Options and variety are what makes this server great.

BrittanyPanthas

I'm kind of against the idea of Waterbreathing spells.  Underwater areas are balanced in a certain way for a reason, to have a little bit of pressure because you're not using significant armor or heavy weapons, and you're moving a bit more slowly.  The enemies in each underwater area are likewise balanced to not necessarily be as tough as what you'd face on the surface, but are enough to slow you down.

If you want a mitigating factor that lets you use armor/weapons underwater at no penalty, then use Freedom of Movement.

If you want a longer amount of time underwater, use Endurance, or Empowered Endurance, or Bubbleberries.

If you want to spend an unlimited amount of time underwater, then earn one of the very rare Unlimited underwater breathing items in game.  They exist.

FleetingHeart

Please note, that this was not -only- about water breathing.

Letsplayforfun

I did start a water breathing thread a while back, which was turned down for some reason i can't remember well. Shame, though. Waterbreathing doesn't take away the slow movement nor the necessity to remove armor, nor does it make casters able to use spell. It just avoids to drown for a while.

As always, one can use items, but more practical spells are always nice to add diversity.

As for 'Deep slumber', just use hold monster imo, same fonctionnality.

As for the 'shielding' spell you describe, it'd look nice on a paladin, let's say, to replace the summon horse feat? ;)

FleetingHeart

Well, the Shield Other spell is a cleric spell traditionally.

But the same thing goes for lots of other spells. I`m mostly just curious if it is even possible.

ScottyB

It is technically possible, to an extent, but the spell's school, target type, hostility, counterspells, Spellcraft ID feedback, and base casting animations/visuals will not be changed (those are handled in a 2DA, not by script). The end result would look rather shoddy, and we try to run a classy operation here.

I had an idea for something a little less broad, but I still need to get the last few features I made for EFU/A to work right.

Edit: And that's not happening any time soon.