Dwarves and Waraxes

Started by ScottyB, August 14, 2009, 08:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottyB

I recently discovered that it might be possible to open racial access of Dwarven Waraxes to, well, dwarves.

However, last time this was discussed, it was deemed undesirable to simply give access for free.

As an alternative, would there be any interest in a Dwarven Weapon Proficiency feat that can be taken by dwarves, something of an alternative to martial and exotic proficiencies?

I think the list should be:
  • Light hammer
  • Warhammer
  • Hand axe
  • Battle axe
  • Great axe
  • Dwarven waraxe

On the one hand, only one of these weapons would not be granted by martial proficiency, so it's pointless for dwarven fighters, barbarians, paladins and rangers. On the other hand, it's a racial set that might make a nice package for dwarven clerics/wizards/rogues/whatever. It's also missing a great variety of weapons that would otherwise be available from martial/exotic proficiencies. Plus, there's the pride factor that you took DWARVEN Weapon Proficiency for your war axe, instead of the optimal choice of Exotic.

So the discussion is made with an informed opening. It would be ridiculously easy to do. Would people use it? Does it seem like a sound idea?

Pup

(let me preface this by saying I don't really care)

Dwarves should be +1 LA imo, anyway.

But sure, let the fat little guys go crazy!
"So what else is on your mind besides 100 proof women, 90 proof whisky, and 14 karat gold?"
"Amigo, you just wrote my epitaph."

"Maybe there's just one revolution.  The good guys against the bad guys.  The question is, who are the good guys?"

~The Professionals

TheWastesAreFrozen

As soon as they get LA +1, sure thing.

FleetingHeart

I can't say I'd personally use it, since I personally do not like dwarves. However I think it would be only fair to allow. Especially nice for a Dwarven Cleric so that, with one feat, they could get a nice two handed axe option (great axe) and a nice one handed option to mix with a shield (Dwarven War Axe).

:-)

Egon the Monkey

I can't see any problem with it. It gives you Dwarven Waraxe and more, but the "and more" isn't great compared to Exotic. You gain a less powerful  (light hammer lol) and possibly redundant selection of weapons, in exchange for them being more flavourful.

derfo

taste the flavor of my optimal mechanical numbers kin. amazing

TheWastesAreFrozen

9lives

Oskar Maxon

I can see how it is for flavor, but who, who has taken that feat, would ever use a battleaxe? <_>

FleetingHeart

I could certainly see someone using a battle axe. It's a nasty weapon with 3x crits.

lovethesuit

Just give the dwarven waraxe for free.

Crod Mondoon

Would be nice for dwarven clerics, especially, bit ludicrous for a cleric of Moradin, for example, to be wandering around with a small mace for a weapon, or worse, a club.

Drakill Tannan

I can only think of dwarven clerics benefiting of this, really, since most dwarves will already have simple & martial weapon proficiency, and be able to take exotic.

Letsplayforfun

That'd make sense. Elves can start with longbows and rapiers. Dwarves could potentially all stat with 'cultural weapons'. The late thread about this also showed up some worry about making a one handed/ 1d10 damage weapon easily available. With this option, it's still one feat away, so it sounds pretty nice.

Blake the Boar

Quote from: lovethesuit;140710Just give the dwarven waraxe for free.

Nothing in this land is ever free, my friend ...

Now, seriously, it should not be free, even being for dwarves. There are OOC mechanical reasons (non human feat limitations for instance) well explained by the fact that dwarven warriors usually use dwarven weapons, such as war hammers and battleaxes. Dwarven War Axe is an elite weapon, unbalanced that requires specific training to be used with one hand, hence the need for the feat. (on P&P it is a martial weapon if you use it with both hands. But that's another story).