Raven Familiar

Started by TheWastesAreFrozen, September 09, 2009, 10:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheWastesAreFrozen

This familiar is identical to what it was except now only has 7 HP at level 7. While some of it's skills are higher and it's natural ability is the same this makes it a one-shot target for just about anyone due to it's AC.

I fully understand that they aren't meant for combat usage but this seems a bit extreme. I would suggest giving it a little bit of health at least.

Egon the Monkey

I've been saying this about the chicken for ages, and that has mostly offensive spells. Don't get your hopes up. I would say, however, that we really could use a list of familiars' spells. When I've asked before, DMs have always said "FOIG".

However, having restored the familiar as a useful companion to a mage, hiding this section of the mechanics doesn't bring anything useful. For example combat mages tended to go with Seagulls for Endurance or Rats for Grace. We don't have the spell changes or class ability changes hidden, so it makes no sense to hide the familiar abilities.

Blake the Boar

They should be able to speak one chosen language, as they do in PnP, if they're so useless mechanically, this would make them at least useful Rp/flavor wise.

TheWastesAreFrozen

I'd also have to agree with documentation on their abilities but apparently that's not going to happen from what I saw in IRC. It really makes no sense to hide these things when all it does it hurt newer players that have not had the luxury of finding these things out.

FleetingHeart

Currently, the health is a bug. However, one look at this familiar's skill sheet will tell you exactly what it's meant for.

You can also get a pretty decent idea of what all of the familiars are capable of at level 2.

Blake the Boar

Were the policy of FOIG in this case really legitimate, the entire mechanical changes page should not exist. Having to find out by yourself, IG, will only make players create test builds in the OOC start area, which is as OOC as reading in the page. So, no sense in that. Unless the real reason is too much work for busy DMs. That would be a better excuse.

Drakill Tannan

There is a diference on the current Raven familiar, it's been changed to be a good sneaker. Wich is good, that's what i used it for, anyway.

But...

Return tumble to it, it's a bird, it files. It should not be strange it is hard to strike it when it is fleeing from you -flying-. It's also a good ability for a scout, should it get discovered.

If you are worried about the AC increse, give it an AC penalty or something.

Oh, and i agree. FOIG is good for quest knowledge, achemy/herbalism recipies, areas and RP knowledge, but not mechanical changes, of any kind: be it familiars or spell changes, thouse should be avilable at this page.