PC faction - Carnival at the docks

Started by Vendayan, January 10, 2010, 10:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vendayan

I have a DM who has expressed solid interest in doing a prelude for a PC faction concept that I had pitched once long ago (though it didn't quite fit the UD setting so well at the time) and again more recently.

The concept for the prelude and faction involves a traveling carnival of unusual traders, artists and entertainers.  Their usual routine had always been to travel across the far reaches of the world to display a wide variety of cultural exhibits and exotic merchandise that they gather along the way.  Depending on the size of the communities they stop at, they have been known to set themselves up for as short as a single week or as long as six.  Then they leave as quickly and as quietly as they came.  To their dismay, that routine ends abruptly when they find themselves stranded on our favorite remote tropic island.

Each of them have come to respect and rely on one another for their unique and amazing talents, whether freakish or inspiring.  For many of them who have no families of their own to speak of, their bonds among the others have proven to be just as strong.  By learning to trust one another, each guards one another's personal secrets and some which they all share.  By learning to compliment one another without prejudice, the unlikely bunch tackles many intense challenges quickly and efficiently.

While I would like to give a full list of criteria that would need to be met for membership in this faction, it would be difficult to do so without revealing too much of the intrigue behind it. To list the bare minimum I can however give the following:

Race: Any.
Class: Any excluding paladins and druids.
No mimes... please!  (unless anyone knows of a quest which drops a +3 keen charades prop)

Each and every member of the faction should be expected to participate both individually and cooperatively towards carnival events and activities to entertain other players.  This would of course be a very significant role of the faction.  Part of any concept should include thoughts of what sort of acts or events your character might be able to take part in.

I'm hoping for a wide variety of concepts for various inhabitants of the island of misfit characters.  The concept should be outlandish and able to capture the attention of anyone within the first few minutes of any encounter.

Feel free to leave your concept idea here or PM me with any questions.  Though I would prefer to talk to everyone privately via PM or IRC before the prelude to discuss some parts of this faction which should not be posted publicly.  I have yet to think of a name for this faction as well, so suggestions there are welcome also.

Egon the Monkey

Do it. I cant join the concept myself but I love groups that fall outside the usual mercenary/merchant/gangster boundaries.

I'll even offer some suggestions for non-bard ideas:
  • Halfling trickshot knife-thrower (called shot as a flavor feat).
  • Illusionist (with illusion summon theme and SF Conjuration) who puts on grand displays of dancing, battling illusions.
  • Half-orc strongman who fights with his dumbells (A diremace)
  • Sorcerous fire-eater/breather.
  • Lion Tamer. Maxed out AE ranger with a whip and cat companion.
  • Monk who does Shaolin-style displays of martial arts and gymnastics.
  • Cleric of Liira.

Portal Rat

I actually tried to do this in the Underdark with a summoning sorcerer. The concept was centered around finding reagents with which to summon interesting creatures, then entertaining and amazing small children with them, then sacrificing the children to a demon.

Feel free to take the concept and run with it.

Letsplayforfun

djspectre

Quote from: Letsplayforfun;160945No clowns.. awwww.

= BARD with EFUSS Entertainment skill maxed.

Pestilence