Increase the cost of holding wands

Started by Letsplayforfun, January 20, 2010, 02:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Letsplayforfun

They cost 1500 to make, like darkness, and are very powerful tools. They probably should cost the same as 3rd lvl spells, around 3000.

Ebok

Why? They're level 2 spells.

Disco

Becourse they kick ass?

TheImpossibleDream

They're dc 14 and last 3 rounds

In addition a lesser dispel wand costs the same amount and is vastly more useful.

Portal Rat

Taking 2nd level wizard spells has the same effect. Why not just make the spell 3rd level and be done with it?

This is all relative anyway. If I were playing a rogue with 1500 gold to spend, I'd buy the darkness wand long before that hold wand. Three rounds of guaranteed sneak attacks times 25 is worth a hell of a lot more than 25 half-chances to hold someone for 3 rounds.

putrid_plum

they are only powerful if you have a low will save

Disco

VS most fighter types they will be effective.

Portal Rat

Quote from: putrid_plum;162994they are only powerful if you have a low will save

Or don't have PfE / PfG / PfC / PfL up.

Halfbrood

I hardly ever see these in use anyway.

Equinox

Hold perosn wand's are fine. 1500 is still a fair amount of gold. considering it's mind affecting and not even straight will like it used to be. Dc:14 is fuckeasy to beat.

No change on these please.

Gnome on the Strange

My 2 cents:
For a divine wand user, IMO Sound Burst is better anyway. AoE makes it useful for PVE more, 1d6 Sonic damage and it causes Stun not Hold, which is harder for an ally to to remove. The downside is 1 less round of immobilisation. Plus Will/mind saves gear is so much easier to get up here.

Going to throw out an idea I've been kicking around for a while. What if Hold Person was a straight up Will save like it's meant to be, but reduced in duration to 1 round + 1 round/3 caster levels? It wouldn't be trivial to beat any more, mind gear wouldn't save you from it, but it would be a way of buying time, not a total obliteration like 5-9 rounds of paralysis. And Enchanters would have a total of two spells that a PfX wouldn't destroy. Also remember a TN caster's mindspells are hard to stop anyway, PfX spells only work if you have an alignment.

Drakill Tannan

No. 1500 gold is fine. Dram used them a lot to save people from being killed in quests. Protection from alignment potions shield against them anyway, and the duration for wands is quite low.

It's a level 2 spell, they cost 1500, if they costed 3000, no one will ever use them.

Caddies

Actually its DC15 and lasts for 5 rounds.

Should probably be bumped up, I agree. Something like 2000 gold though, rather than 3K.

Semli

I can't see how this would change anything. My current doesn't have any wand proficiencies and still finds items he can use to provoke will saves in the mod. Your suggested change would only make such items more valuable while decreasing the advantage wand proficiencies or UMD provides, which if that is your intended change, would be fine in my mind if not entirely necessary.

Darkness really requires another spell to be effective, so there's an additional cost there you're not thinking about.

Drakill Tannan

Hold person is one of the VERY few wands that are worth crafting, due to the price. 1500 is fine. Don't encourage wizards to be potion-selling whores.