Brew potion - fourth level spells

Started by VanillaPudding, February 06, 2010, 05:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanillaPudding

Well, the thread title kind of sums this up but I figured I'd throw this out there to see the opinions on it. At the moment, brewing is limited to third level spells or lower while wands can be made of higher level spells.

They would need to be priced properly since a few are powerful but quite a few of the spells available to brew are rather common loot drops as it is.

Death ward potions drop on a common quest or two. Polarization (negetive energy protection) is quite common as well. Stoneskin and freedom aren't so common but I'd wager that quite a few characters carry one or two of these often enough.

Cure critical wounds would be a nice addition I think and if they were priced properly it could provide a nice incentive for higher level 'tanks'. These drop all the time as it is and I've literally seen people with 100 or more in their inventory.

Elemental shield is the last brew I can see in the fourth level spell category. These would be powerful in the right situation yet, once again, with a proper price point they wouldn't be a common sight. There are numerous items with mestil's acid sheathe on charges that drop as common loot. They aren't as useful as course but at one round / level I don't believe you'll see any issues with these being spammed.

Anyway, just wanted to see if there was any chance of this happening in the future even if it were for only a few of the spells mentioned.

Relinquish

I think the feats are hardcoded, additionally I think it'd be totally unbalanced to include the 4th circle as brewing. If you want them you can get a wand of it or find them on some quests.

Thomas_Not_very_wise

I don't think it would unbalance anything. It would simply make Dms want to reduce the availability of such potions on quests.

Relinquish

Giving every class the availability to have 50% conceal 10/+5 DR damage shields immunity to 3- spells and divine power. I can't possibly see how this would make it unbalanced or make people complain about those who have more supplies will always do better.

Thomas_Not_very_wise

...You do realize that a DM can just not have those potions brewed?

VanillaPudding

Because they would be priced high or not even possible to make. They aren't hard-coded or we would have true strike and shield potions being made. Stoneskin is modified here and I doubt improved invisibility would ever be an option even if some others were allowed.

AceOfSpadesX

Increasing the availability of more powerful potions for buffed gankers and such doesn't seem like a good idea. What would this really add to the server?

VanillaPudding

It would add brewed potions that are already available by other means. Most of them are healing or defensive and have little relevance on 'buffed gankers'.

lovethesuit

Disagree because it seems completely unnecessary. I'm sure it was designed that way for a reason. Some of those spells can be pretty overpowered, so they are understandably rare. Though some of them, like Death Ward, makes sense as a potion.

Thomas_Not_very_wise

To play devil's advocate.

Not all of us are about for the DM quests, the spice, hell even the good old NPC potion brewer who sells them at exorbitant prices. I think it will even the playing field to have these potions available to ...

Certain deities of certain faiths capable of brewing these potions.

If this is possible I will be in full support.

Such as a Grumbarryn making stoneskin potions.

putrid_plum

powerful potions are often rewarded by DMs and making them brew-able for all classes seems a bit... meh, as it adds very little to the server

also rank 4 wands cost alot, xp and gold wise, and can only be used by a few classes... and it is usually a perk of the class like ranger/paladins that they can use divine wands or bards that can use arcane wands!

AceOfSpadesX

Quote from: VanillaPudding;165961It would add brewed potions that are already available by other means. Most of them are healing or defensive and have little relevance on 'buffed gankers'.

A lot of defensive pots are used in pvp (blur, displacement). Having stoneskin, minor invulnerability etc brewable would be unbalancing, since these types of suggestions inherently take away from actual casting classes and benefit the full ab classes.

derfo

Yeah, I think things favor full BAB classes enough as is, and this sort of thing would only serve to make that more true.

Caddies

Probably not possible technically and definitely not desirable balance-wise.

ExileStrife

Definitely not desirable balance-wise.