Are you there? or, How to get a DM's attention

Started by ScottyB, October 12, 2008, 12:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottyB

To the point!

It's much more efficient for everyone involved to just get to the point with a PM on IRC. Simply put, letting us know that you want help with an app/wanted a possession of a certain NPC/found an item that said to inform a DM you have it/etc. let's us know what you wanted, even if you log off before we read your message. Sometimes we can actually do something about your request, even if we never responded.

The long-winded explanation

Some of us get extremely vague PMs on IRC several times a day. They may be as long as "I was wondering if you were around" or as short as "hey". Usually they fall somewhere inbetween.

Sometimes we aren't around, and when we come back we find out that someone has left us a message and since logged off. We'll never know what they wanted if that keeps up!

Sometimes, and try to understand, we are around, but we're busy IG and just checking the forums information, or we're working in the toolset, or helping someone else. "Are you there?" doesn't sound terribly important, and isn't leaving an impression on us, so we might not feel compelled to wrap up what we're doing. For all we know, the next thing you mean to ask is "how's the weather?"

--- also ---

Getting to the point helps us all out when you're using the DM channel IG, too. The server logs will have a record of your request and, once again, if we're AFK or busy, we can figure out what you needed help with and even set you up - even if we never reply to you.

"Help! DM? Hey!" doesn't help anyone and doesn't sound extremely urgent, not even with the exclamation points and the 'Hey'. "Help! This min-maxed half-orc is griefing my party in front of Blackbeard!" sounds very urgent, and we've got it in our Logs of Truth from now 'till doomsday.

ShadowCharlatan

I'd like to remind folks that making your request for assistance/oversight/interaction/etc. hinge on an immediate response to a vague elicitation like "Are you there?" or "Got a moment?" is not a practical or efficient way to get a DM's attention and/or assistance on a matter.

Just tell us, straight up, what you need. Get to the point.

We can be busy people IG and otherwise, and it's a big headache (and undesirable for everyone involved) to have to follow up on what can be very basic and doable requests.

We're generally quite happy to help. But don't make it harder for us to do so.

Talir

Why someone would unsticky this is beyond me, but please, please read this if you really want a response to queries made either on IRC or in-game.

Mira

I've been a DM less than 2 months and already looking for this thread to give it a bump. Please be specific when you need something. "Is a DM available to help me with something" is no better than "hello is anyone there?"

Tala

Been a DM for a while now, and the this type of questions comes up way too much. "Hey, free for a question?" isn't better than "hello is anyone there" as well. And again, if unclear, this is addressed at IRC PMs and the use of the DM channel IG.

If I'm already posting it, if you intend to report a bug or make a suggestion, please do that by the forum and not with PMs to DMs on IRC, simply because stuff can get lost that way, a DM might forget or they are just not the right address for this specific bug/suggestion.

Thank you :)

Paha

As suggested, it has always been better that you do not ask us permission to talk to us. You are already talking, and no matter how well intending, it rather irritates people. The thing is, people do not answer you if they are busy or are not infront of the monitor, so the question is moot in itself. You are best of just dropping down to business since first message. Feel free to say like "Hi. Do you know if x is doable?" or what have you.

Letsplayforfun

"Hi, can someone port us out of [locked area]"
"Hi anyone in for a corpse clear @ [area]?"
"Hi potential pvp in lower, can you oversee?" (or /c pvp)
"Hi can someone possess [npc]"
"Hi can anyone update me on my app for undead ascetic"

... are common examples.