Variable Darkfire

Started by Xorisai, October 19, 2008, 02:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xorisai

Darkfire seems to be a very commonly used spell by clerics.  But fire might not be appropriate for all clerics.  Would it be possible to make Darkfire potentially do other kinds of elemental damage (acid, cold, etc.) depending on deity, in a similar manner to how cleric summons work?  If so, I think it would be a nice addition, by adding some variability to weapon damage (different priests could be more useful on different quests, depending on the resistances of the opponents) and more "character" to the spell.

I'd personally stay away from "special" damage types (divine, negative, magical, etc.) because they are harder to ward against, and this isn't a proposal to make the spell more powerful, just to make it more appropriate for clerics who favor other elements over fire.

Mort

This could be done and would probably look rather cool. The problem is, I'm not sure if multiple darkfire would stack on a weapon because of this. But will inquire.

Cruzel

It's possible, and actually not very hard to do.  The only real downside is it could lag and the effects could last much longer than intended, possibly until reset!

I suggested this once, in IRC. DM reponse was along the lines of "We prefer not to implement things which are unreliable" etc.. or some such.

I was working on a similar system for my own module though, even if it wasn't a priority as I am also working on other stuff which I find more interesting :P
If I can make it reliable enough to use without concern, I'll def throw it at the DM's and they can use it if they want.

EDIT: Mort beat me, But to answer his query - I am pretty sure makign sure it does not stack, is very easy to do, and quite possible!

Snoteye

I wonder if not this is already implemented, just inaccessible. If that's the case, there's a reason it's inaccessible. Personally, I don't like modifying spells just because we can.

Yalta

Putting the mechanics issues to one side for our resident experts (Snot) to mull over, the actual principle of this would be interesting if possible, would certainly be a nice to have.

Caddies

This would be sweet if possible.

Letsplayforfun

This certainly would be cool.

Gullible Righteousness

I would figure that having certain domains would be able to change it, since that's how I'm sure the summoning system(right?) works. I sure know nothing about scripting, but it might encourage players to choose domains like ooze, water, or air.

Cruzel

It's perfectly possible.   The downside is the same as listed in my first reply!

QuoteThe only real downside is it could lag and the effects could last much longer than intended, possibly until reset!
It should be fairly easy to add options to the crafting menu, and you could add a check for the domains incredibly easy.  The work may be slightly tedious, but as for actual difficulty this is not something that is hard to do, at all.

MisterPAIN

Does it really have to be based on domain?  Banites in their entirety might be better with a green fire darkfire but don't exactly have a "green domain" nor do I think certain clerics of the same god should have to pick regular darkfire or special darkfire over a domain.

Cruzel

It's not a suggestion based on color. They are suggesting  water domain can do cold damage, air doing electrical, etc.

Wizards could be given the option to change this freely, or a small system to  change this similar to summoning reagents would not be very hard to add either.

Learn to read imo, MisterPAIN.

Xorisai

I think unless your god is a god of fashion, color coordination shouldn't be an issue.  I don't think Bane is going to smite anyone for not being green enough.  The proposal is for energy types that correspond to deities closely aligned with other, non-fire elements (principally Akadi, Grumbar, and Istishia, but also other deities such as Auril, Chauntea, and Valkur).

MisterPAIN

Quote from: Cruzel;93925Learn to read imo, MisterPAIN.

Quote from: Gullible Righteousness;93913I would figure that having certain domains would be able to change it, since that's how I'm sure the summoning system(right?) works. I sure know nothing about scripting, but it might encourage players to choose domains like ooze, water, or air.

I read this, imo.  But I was kind of saying not to force a cleric of a god that would have darkfire fire damage be somewhat inappropriate to have to pick the domain to make the darkfire all special.  Oh and GREEN DARKFIRE FOR BANE 4 LIFE.

Caddies

If you're a Banite you can just emote the flames being green.

adharmas

Can we emote fire to be cold fire?