Raise the price of throwing axes

Started by Denko, October 29, 2008, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denko

A set of 50 costs the ridiculous sum of 1 gp. They cost less than a bow or crossbow while being more effective. It's also illogical because it's evident a single throwing axe would cost surely more than one gp to craft.

Jayde Moon

Reason why not?

1 Weight
2 Unrecoverability of Axes

50 Axes weigh 50 lbs.  1000 arrows weigh 0 lbs.

Sure in real life a nice throwing axe costs more to make.  But after a fight you can also walk around and pick up the ones you threw.  Less likely to break than arrows, less likely to have travelled so far that picking them up isn't viable.

50 in a pack is a sort of nod to the concept that you'd probably only really carry a few and you'd pick them up after, not actually trying to mean you have 50 hatchets strung up on your belt.

Weight is still set high so you don't abuse that concept like folks might do with arrows.

No need to raise price on Throwing Axes, IMO.

Pup

I agree that they are fine.  Even strong chars are pretty limited in how many they can carry.
"So what else is on your mind besides 100 proof women, 90 proof whisky, and 14 karat gold?"
"Amigo, you just wrote my epitaph."

"Maybe there's just one revolution.  The good guys against the bad guys.  The question is, who are the good guys?"

~The Professionals

Denko

You don't actually carry 99 arrows either.

And a strong char can carry 50+, more than enough for a quest.

lovethesuit

Yes, but when they carry 50+ throwing axes, that means they can't very easily carry other things. Throwing axes are fine as they are.

Xorisai

The argument that it's illogical "in real life" isn't very persuasive on its own.  As others have noted, it's also illogical that you can't pick them up after using.  If there's not a game balance problem here - and I think they're balanced just fine with other weapons - then I think they should be left alone.  If you make regular, mundane throwing axes a big money pit, people are just going to abandon them for darts.

petey512

Forgive me if this sounds blunt, I'm in a poor mood.

Number One reason why this is a poor idea: It's a video game. With demons and magic and illithid and magic bags, etc. etc. It's not real life, so therefore low priced throwing axes being "unrealistic" is a moot point.

Number Two reason why this is a poor idea: The DMs have better things to do than change all the merchant's inventories so that the throwing axe costs more. It's time consuming and practically pointless.

And since I doubt anyone wants yet another "what's realistic" argument thread, I would strongly suggest this thread being locked.

However if one would like to see a "what's realistic" argument thread. Say so and I'll leave a link one.
"Proving concerned parents from the 80's wrong, just in time for them to be dead. "

Egon the Monkey

*Ahem* [stands on the Ziggurat]. "Hands up every PC who uses throwing axes!"
[looks around]
Nope? Awww!
Seriously, I've seen maybe one PC on EfU who's ever used them. In fact, a few months back there was a thread saying stuff along the lines of "lighten them because nobody uses the bloody things!"

Denko

1. I made the suggestion more because of balance issues than realism issues (tough also)

2. This is supposed to be a rp server, as far as I know. Of course it can't be like real life, but it's supposed to be as realistic as possible.

3. I don't think they cost 1 gp "a sort of nod to the concept that you'd probably only really carry a few and you'd pick them up after", it's just every ammo / throwing weapons cost the same because the game programmers were lazy.

4. I just remembered that throwing axes in the Underdark cost like 24 gp a stack (in one of the bazaar shops if I recall well). So maybe the dms lowered the price or it was a bug! A clarification maybe? :P

9lives

There are no balance issues with throwing axes.

While they can be potent in the hands of a high strength character, they are not a weapon for all occaisions; and their weight and unrecoverability is a simple counter to their low cost.

Xorisai

Quote2. This is supposed to be a rp server, as far as I know.
But roleplaying is something you do with other people, not on your own interacting with an NPC merchant.  Is there any way in which this would heighten your roleplaying experience with others?

I mean, does it really take 350 gp, "realistically," to etch your name on your armor?  Of course not, but it was judged to be a good price to prevent too much engraving and maintain engraving as a special, somewhat uncommon perk.  Merchant prices should be set with regards to game balance first and foremost.

Denko

Quote from: Xorisai;95113But roleplaying is something you do with other people, not on your own interacting with an NPC merchant.  Is there any way in which this would heighten your roleplaying experience with others?
I mentioned it was a rp server because of the realism issue, not because of who or what I interact with. And I don't know about the engraving, never tried it in real life :P

Anyway, a dm answered, so the thread has no point anymore.

9lives