PVP guidlines and rules

Started by General-shadow, April 10, 2011, 11:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General-shadow

Right red knight faction is growing and where doing our little drills usually after this point we get caught up in pvp with rival factions and such, well from what i have seen of other factions in my time, now i have read the pvp rules and guidelines sections even that post of "pc are not pump kins"but where not interested in miaming people if we pvp we want to kill and make sure it sticks, soo what i want to go over is the following, since we fight for perma death.

-Ambushes
-Assassinations

Any tips on doing these do would be great as we dont want seem like a bunch of greifers, mean where all here to enjoy our self s right?

AllMYBudgies

I think approaching every pvp situation with a mind that it results in FD death yields very little fun for either side.
I would suggest that you work on building rivalry and story before you aimlessly kill off characters that you would have no real reason, aside from glory hunting in some respect, to finish off altogether.

Your mileage may vary, but I am more of a mind that pvp should only result in FD death when it ends a character in a way that would be fitting, and would gain your character some merit of satisfaction; notoriety, progressing goals etc.

AllMYBudgies

I think approaching every pvp situation with a mind that it results in FD death yields very little fun for either side.
I would suggest that you work on building rivalry and story before you aimlessly kill off characters that you would have no real reason, aside from glory hunting in some respect, to finish off altogether.

Your mileage may vary, but I am more of a mind that pvp should only result in FD death when it ends a character in a way that would be fitting, and would gain your character some merit of satisfaction; notoriety, progressing goals etc.

EfUA_undercover

Obviously you haven't read the PvP guidelines and rules enough. I suggest you re-read them!

Decimate_The_Weak

No faction's goal in any conflict should simply be to FD every player in every conflict.

Build rivalry, build a story.

General-shadow

so long as there is reason
seems fair

Paha

I think it will be best when you play IC, avoid too much of out of character stuff and do it all to chase a goal, then it goes as it goes.

Simply remember that if you go at people, always be prepared to be struck back. Your story might end up short if you're out to kill people, and they have friends that don't like you doing it.

TheImpossibleDream

After reading of your intent I'd be so tempted to make my goal your extinction.

Ugh disgusting...

DangerousDan

This is basically a massively retarded post in tons of ways. I am sure Howland will have more to say on the matter than I do.
i walked one morning to the fair

core

You really shouldn't be setting out with the express purpose of killing everyone you PvP with. That is an extremely unhealthy attitude - one that we do not want to become commonplace on EfU and one that is definitely not approved of by the DM team or the playerbase alike.

Seithes

o.o

Sorry guys, Freya's not so great with communication -.- I think he was just wanting to know the specifics on going about an assassination should the need arise..

12 Hatch

Think of EfU:A as a massive voluntary contribution mechanism experiment.

Each individual can choose to focus their efforts on themselves, with a clear immediate payoff, or they can focus their efforts outwards, with positive externalities for all others involved.

Every player's "efficient" choice may be to worry only for themselves, but when in good faith people all focus their efforts on entertaining others, you get a tremendous echo chamber of excitement that dwarfs what could have been from insular play.

Point is, whether it's "fair" or not is necessary but not sufficient, as that really only determines whether it sits well with you and whether you face consequences.  

The question is whether any specific type of behavior provides positive externalities that will hopefully elicit a similar response from all!

Semli

Seems a lot of people may be struggling with this idea. I think I'll make a post.

BrittanyPanthas

Without going into the mentality of FDing as a first response, I'll try to explain what the DM staff looks for when dealing with ambushes and assasinations. In assasinations we prefer that they're stylish. FDing without a word is not stylish and is very much frowned upon. Instead subdual with a decent amount of roleplay before the kill is preferred. If not, then some sort of roleplay during the fight itself needs to be seen to be considered stylish. For ambushes from stealth and invisibility, personally I don't consider it stylish unless the odds are against you of at least 2 to 1 or more, but that varies from DM to DM. A level difference in which you are a lower level than your target and using stealth or invisibility is also acceptable. It also depends on your class, concept, and context. The main guideline to this is, how would you want someone to treat your PC?

Capricious

If I may make a comment on assassinations. They should only come as a result of conflicting goals, rivalry, and a measure of conflict that warrants an FD from the person hiring the assassin. Certainly, the assassin themselves may have had no part in the conflict previous to taking the contract on their target, but the character who hires the assassin most certainly should have a good reason for it. The assassin is essentially just the tool used to do the FDing, but all the same reasons for it that would create the situation should be in place as they are with any other FD.