Tridents

Started by Thomas_Not_very_wise, November 24, 2008, 09:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas_Not_very_wise

While I know the DM's have taken steps to power up tridents, they are far weaker than they once were in 1.68.

I think all tridents should be given a feat that gives them the x3 back. At the moment, Spears are a much better weapon.

AKMatt

Since I am playing a trident-wielding character, I'm going to have to agree.

Semli

Spears are arguably a better choice with their x3 and without the need to be proficient in martial weaponry.  That said, I don't think tridents were any better in 1.68.  I always remember NWN tridents having a x2.

The DMs are usually pretty good about making non-optimal weapons with better properties appear in the random loot spawns.  In fact, one my characters just acquired a decent trident the other day.  I'm not entirely certain that I agree with this sentiment off-hand though as I really don't know the extent of what tridents already exist in the current random spawns.  I suppose more tridents with good properties can't hurt though.

Snoteye

Tridents are indisputably better in 1.69 than 1.68, regardless of whether their critical hit modifier has been reduced (I don't know if that's the case).

Semli

I'm missing something then.  What's better about tridents now?

Thomas_Not_very_wise

The Weapon Focus feat and the Weapon Spec feat which you can now take.

adharmas

My PHB says tridents have a x2 multiplier.

edit: though it also says it's one-handed.

Relinquish

If we're discussing what weapons suck and all, clubs suck, sickles suck, maces suck, light hammers suck. But you don't use weapons generally because they are good or not, you use them depending on your characters background.

Gullible Righteousness

Tridents are nice already. Somewhat.

Oh, and did we forget whips, Relinquish?

And shuriken? =/

Nightshadow

I say keep them the same, regardless of their obvious inferiority to the spear, but I think that maybe a few more magic tridents should be introduced.

If any change were to be introduced, I would say make all the tridents have the keen property, giving them a 19-20x2 crit, making them a little more even with the spear.

(btw, tridents weigh more, another reason it is worse than spears)

Daemonic Daz

DM's give characters pretty good tridents if they show good RP and that, I played a character that used a Trident before the patch and he hardly sucked.

Nickless

Mace using knight please.

Egon the Monkey

Quoteclubs suck, sickles suck, maces suck, light hammers suck.

-Clubs are weapons with as much power as a mace but half the weight. Any class can use them, They are a great backup weapon for fighting Undead, and there are some kickass clubs on EfU. Club's don't suck

-Maces are a finessable blunt weapon for undead-smacking. They are also Small and are the only blunt simple weapon a Small PC can use 1 handed. Therefore they don't suck

-Sickles are a 1d6 slashing Simple weapon. Possible use.

-Light hammers and Tridents SUCK. Why? Both are worse than their simple counterparts (Dagger and Spear) mechanically, weigh MORE and require Martial proficiency.

-Whips have the Disarm feat.

-Shurikens, well, in the OC there are a lot of decent shurikens.

-Fix would be to slap 1d8 Massive Crits on most Tridents.

Xorisai

Tridents are only "better" in 1.69 insofar as "better" means "now has the same feat options just like any other weapon."  If you're not a fighter, the only feat you can take from that tree is W. Focus anyway (not sure if anyone has Imp. Crit on this server).  But then again, before 1.69 they were simple weapons, and now trident-wielding chars without MWP have to burn a feat for it.

I would argue that the trident is basically the worst weapon in the game; at least a light hammer is finessable.  But my current char didn't burn a feat for MWP just for a trident because of the strength of the weapon.  It was simply the appropriate choice because of her deity.

I certainly would support beefing up tridents in general.  Like Egon said, you could just add 1d8 Massive crits to all tridents and at least make it more or less mechanically the same as a spear.  I don't mean to suggest that all weapons should be equally good or that we should only consider weapons on mechanical value - my char will continue using hers regardless of whether any changes are made under the hood - but it's at least a topic worthy of consideration.  It is a little bit frustrating to be out-weaponed by a stock sorcerer.

That said, the DMs may simply not be in the business of altering the basic characteristics of weapon types, which I would understand.

Snoteye

It's not even possible.