Throwing axes

Started by Berserkr, February 18, 2012, 01:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berserkr

I'd like to propose increasing the usefulness of throwing axes. Consider these points:
  • 99 arrows or bolts weigh 1 unit in total, while 99 throwing axes  weigh a full 99 units, making them highly unfeasible to any but the  strongest of characters.
  • There's very little incentive for even the strongest of characters  to use throwing axes, not only due to precious carrying capacity but due to how weak they are compared to bows and  crossbows. Throwing axes only cause 1d6 damage and a critical threat of x2.
  • I've never come across any enchanted throwing axes, nor any characters who's used throwing axes in general. I'm new to the server, though.
Throwing axes suit my character very well, but I feel as though I need to make huge sacrifices in order to use something which doesn't measure up to the other alternatives at all.

In any case, on a personal level, I'd rather take an arrow in the knee than a throwing axe.

Pigadig

Throwing axes are automatically Mighty.

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Throwing_axe

They're basically the best ranged weapon if you've got high STR. The only balancing feature is their weight, which is potentially excessive given that darts are almost identical and weigh less.

Gigantism

Darts are also automatically mighty as well, but weigh 1/10th the weight.

Questing Knight

Weight isn't that much of an issue as there are lots of weight reduction applied throwing axes IG which are readily available.  Axes I believe you can be slightly more damaging with but mainly it's a question of style.  Despite disadvantages it makes more sense for the northern warrior, dwarf axeman or tribal to favour a throwing axe over darts IMO.  There are far worse weapons that people still use because they are appropriate.

Berserkr

Having learned about the weight-reduced throwing axes available at the Delving, and about the fact that throwing axes are mighty (can't tell by their description), as well as the fact that you can wield them together with a shield, this is no longer an issue to me. Thanks for the feedback everyone, I withdraw my suggestion.