Karma isn't real

Started by Dr Dragon, April 15, 2012, 10:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Dragon

One need only look at EFU and the real world to make this conclusion.

Gotham

DR D likes to drop by every now and then and bring us wisdom from his fathers on high. I speak of course of the Draconian aliens that placed him on this world centuries ago, giving him the gift of taking it to the max and an afro that can deflect bullets.

Knight Of Pentacles

humboldt got the stuff

TO THE MAX

Nihm

Too many babies die of hunger or get tortured by sadists everyday in this world for karma to make sense.

The well known Shakespeare quote about life being a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing, is probably more accurate.

Lenthis

The darker things in life are often so terrible in scope we forget to see the good in life, I will not argue the fact, but for every evil there is a good. And when you bring for tales of starving children, of lack of care, and of torture. Then I suggest to you, attempt to find the good in life.

Plenty of people make a living off of finding the bad, lets see if you can have the intelligence needed to find the good while acknowledging the bad, without being degrading or fatalistic.

Talir

Karma is very real on efu. What you did on your last character(s) may very well bring you advantages to your next! (IE: applications)

I believe having a good "karma" in real life too yields its own rewards.

Big Orc Man

I agree with the Doc that in real life, karma is a garbage concept.

But in a closed social loop like this one, karma does tend to apply.

Nuclear Catastrophe

Quote from: Dr Dragon;283411One need only look at EFU and the real world to make this conclusion.

That's just not true (in EfU's case at least.)

As a personal 'god', I am quite capable of bestowing real karma on people and have done so in the past.

You forget your deities, Dr D.  I have seen kindness on EfU and rewarded it appropriately.  Conversely, I have seen OOC nastiness and - again - have made sure that the perpetrators have gotten their just deserts later on, perhaps in the most subtle of ways, but do not doubt this, I have done it.

On EFU, karma is quite real.  And if you disagree, take it up with me, and I'll tell you why you deserve everything you've 'got' so far. (or not got, as the case may well be.).

Gotham

I once got IG EXP's for helping a player work out CD key issues and loaning them my old hardcopy CDkey (since I use a GOG Diamond copy now)

So Nuke speaks truth (truke?)

xxWhisperingWindsxx

I think as a society we've become so conditioned to immediate satisfaction, that if we do not see things as ambiguous as karma pay off immediately we jump to the conclusion that it does not exist.

In the real world, I'd like to believe it exists.  In some cases I think I have seen it, and in others I scratch my head and wonder why it hasn't.  So I think the jury is still out as to whether or not it exists in "real life".

But here in EfU?  It is very real.  No, you still may not see it immediately or in any big flashy way.  But it's there.  Sometimes it's a slow and ongoing thing, sometimes it's big and flashy, sometimes it's a one-shot.  But it's there.
[20:20] <crump> nature's not outright trying to murder everyone there, it's playing gentle, lures everyone into a false sense of security. then it strikes. chicago's weather is the bdsm of nature systems

MrGrendel

Karma in the supernatural sense does not exist within the real world, but that does not mean it can't exist in a social sense; and, though imperfect, it does.

Doll Hill

Karma in it's original sense is near impossible to prove or disprove because the final sum of one's karma does not apply until the next life (If we're following the religious belief system that coined the term).

If we're talking about the bastardized version where one kicks a puppy today and gets a flower pot dropped on their head three years later as a result, I'm pretty sure we can agree it doesn't exist. Though as seen here, people do remember good/bad deeds and it will influence their reactions to you in the future.