Wizards on high-end quests... boring?

Started by Numos, December 15, 2012, 06:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Numos

Versatality is obviously the huge advantage of playing a mage. You have an enormous tool-box for pvp-combat, and on low-mid tier content they can play any role from support, to damage-dealer, to front-liner (you haven't truly ran Poison Well until you've tanked it with a mage!) Obviously spell foci feats narrow your role a little bit...

But whenever I find myself running any high-level or spiced quests I usually find myself running around invisible with a healing wand, after having buffed the party. This has always 'seemed' optimal for the tougher content; since you can't really hope to front-line with Polymorph and all but the toughest summons will be negligible... but I won't lie when I say it gets really boring sometimes.

So is that the gist of what wizards should be doing on higher level quests, or is there some other role they can also fulfill? I seldom see Crowd Control spells and evocations used, except in certain specific situations where you know what to expect.

HungeringShadows

The thing about wizard and sorcerer is that in order to safely do damage to foes you need to be fully buffed and while it's possible to be fully buffed and also buff a party, you won't have much left to spare.

Wizards/sorcerers are great at dealing massive damage to small groups or single targets. They're terrible for prolonged combat. Warriors on the other hand of all shapes and sizes are better equipped to long fights, thus they get more excitement out of questing. But when it comes to the short term fights they get absolutely railed by a wizard or sorcerer.

It's just the price you pay.

The thing about a wizard or sorcerer is that you sort of need to have a companion who you care about dying as much as yourself. Keeping somebody alive can make things very satisfying and can be more than a handful at times.

tl;dr Casters combatively are better in the short term/terrible at prolonged combat.

To answer your question as to what you need to do on harder quests like sinister evil etc. Keep everyone alive, keep everyone's spells up, possibly have some spell breach/dispel magic ready for powerful foes (heroes, spice, bosses). It's a handful if you're doing legitimately difficult quests.

KreShar

Im a nonscion, nonspellblade sorcerer and i melee on most high level quests effectively. Just have to be smart with it. But yes, as a mage, you will have to do alot of healing and support.

But dont be afraid to pick up a weapon and hit stuff. Or a crossbow.

HerDarkMajesties

Wizards are balanced for PnP dungeons where you might only have 3 or 4 encounters between 'rests'. Here, the volume of enemies and frequency of encounters is massively increased. For fighter classes, this imbalance is easily solved by handing out lots of consumable potions and buffs to keep them fighting. It's not so easy to do with wizards however.

That said, try to keep an eye out for those utility charged wands / items that occasionally drop. Items of darkness, color spray or stinking cloud can turn whole encounters around if you use them right as a mage (Though I'd say such items don't drop nearly frequently enough). You can also consider pumping strength a bit on character creation, taking expertise, and doing a bit of light tanking if you're careful about it - or for sorcerers, grabbing a spear and flanking.

It's much as HungryShadows says though. Mages are built to shine in singular encounters, not prolonged fights. It does mean you really come into your own in player conflict however - But for quests, be prepared to run out of spells and undertake that thankless (but essential) task of invisible ninja healing.

Ironside

Embrace the bolts, become the crossbow.  Bring humiliating death to your enemies every once in a while.  Compare kills with the ranger and laugh when he loses!

Bearic

I actually love the amount of free time it creates in between healing and hiding, and buffing; because you have that much more time to roleplay on a quest, a rare thing.

For instance, with Ulysses, when I use a bard song, and have a good amount of time, I'll usually kick out a rhyme or two; or if he does something awesome like catches someone nearly dead, he'll boast about it.

When he uses spells, I type out words to represent his magical ability, so instead of just hitting a bunch of buttons, I get to actually add something to the bardic factor of him.

It's also perfect for leader characters, who yell out commands, and shouldn't be doing so often while in the middle of battle. Takes out a lot of the dull for me.

KingHovCopy

The old perks for evokers certainly helped with this issue, even if only on rare occasions on quests and such. I was quite sad to see them go! As for the rest, you can do some other things, but not very well. You are a Wizard, and as mentioned, the class itself is balanced around PnP quite well. Sadly, to improve them would make them godly in terms of EFU pvp and such.

MentalMagnetism

They're fine. Get those eight spells of extended- and regular Clairaudience/claiyvoyance with GSF in Divination. Voilá, 10/1 DR for 38,4 minutes at a CL of 8, and begin mowing stuff down with your cats grace and crossbow.

Ebok

I solved this by crafting cantrip wands to zap things. However, if you know what you're doing, you can stock up on lots of charged items and totally wreck everything. Its a matter of timing and aiming.

Incorrigible

Mages are healers plain and simple in most content. It is outside of quests that they really become what they are, when they're able to actually use their spells. That is when you shine.

The reason you rarely see crowd control things used is because monsters tend to have high saves for it and if it's a cloud effect it makes them automatically target the caster and they become unable to go invisible. Evocations are not because.. well.. ridiculous hp on enemies. Quests are designed for fighters, and unless it's a low level thing it'll suck up all your limited spells real fast to do what can be done with unlimited sword swings.

Aethereal

Have you tried summoning?

With that said, EFU meme: 'says will buff your party...'

A few of my PCs have been strictly summoners though, and if you plan accordingly you can focus on calling the right monster at the right time as the encounter presents the opportunity and focus on that alongside your usual support role of healing. (All without being screamed at for not buff-botting, but be careful it is a fine line in the fickle world of questing; knowing some conjurers never seeing the dawn of a quest, but I've never had that issue.)
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJAoaCHdTJY]To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof[/url]

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.

One_With_Nature

Scrolls/Wands/Trinkets theres plenty out there to obtain, just don't horde them and use them as needed. Its important to cast the right spell at the right time and you will find with the higher end quest that there is an oppertunity to rest half way throguh. (At least for the longer ones)

There will oviously be times when you are out of spells and feel pretty much useless/completely vunrable but thats where consumables come in useful. Fighters buy potions, wizards should be buying wands/scrolls or at least using those that they have obtained through questing.

Valo56

A flame weapon will always be more valuable than a fireball, but telling everyone to drink ironguts potions and using a cloud of bewilderment can work wonderfully. Even the dreaded illusory mind-demons are great if you're in a tight spot, just shout out "DRINK CLARITY!" and pull one out.

Jagged

Slow, Mass Ultravision, Darkness, Web, Grease, Fear, Confusion, Hold Person, Hold Monster, Bigby's, Firebrand... these are all amazing spells for high end quests.