Perk Suggestion Thread

Started by Talir, January 16, 2013, 10:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordan

A 5e class turn it in a efu perk
Figther perk

Blood hunter

Through careful study and practice, blood hunters hone the rites of hemocraft into unique combat techniques, forfeiting a portion of their own health to call blood curses down upon their enemies or summon the elements to aid their strikes.

Fighter Perk "/c fighter_perk"

Lose 40% hp gain +3 AB for one turn

Level 1
Toughness free feat

Level 5
+3 lore
+3 spellcraft

Level 8
Weapon gain vampiric rigenration 2

Empress of Neon

I really like this sub-class of sorceror. And it reminds me a lot of how sorcery functions in the Dark Sun setting (which is my favorite dnd setting to this day!). Having said that, it's also quite possibly one of the most difficult-to-recognize (as in, way too easy for a sorceror to hide) and  somewhat underpowered sub-classes I've gotten to enjoy (which is strange, since the theme is literally DEATH). Not that meta should ever come before what's thematic, but all the same, I have some suggestions to improve the class!

1. More Spell Effects During Syphoning: The death syphon has a rather pathetic vampiric-regeneration as it is. Be it for them or other pcs. You could easily miss it. Rather than a flat '1' being dripped with the death of every enemy, I would rather suggest a 1d*lvl* effect on how much life is taken. Not only would this make the death syphon significantly easier to discover, but it would also make their capacity to act as a vampiric font of life for others in their group more useful. Remember that it's not true regeneration; players still have to be killing in order to mend. I would also add a creepy spell effect around the syphon every time the effect triggers. Maybe a red glow, or the actual vampiric-regeneration effect you see above peoples' heads when they're bloodletting.

2. Rework the Spellpower Drain: I haven't had a single instance in which my character has been able to successfully nab anymore spells from slain mages/priests. I don't know if it's bugged or if the chances are too low, but I think it's worth remembering that this trait of death syphons is beholdened to: 1. The levels of a spellcaster slain and 2. A spellcaster npc to begin with (which are obviously more rare).  My two suggestions to improve on this hilariously low-chance of benefit are twofold. Either:

A. Rather than have the perk focus around spellcasters killed, make it so that -any- creature killed has a 3-1% chance (From 1st circle to 3rd) of refunding a spell used. This keeps the chances of refund chaos-shield-levels of low, but less dependent on the presence of other casters.

B. Significantly up the chances of taking spellpower; or to just a flat 100%. Spellcasters are much more rare, and their varying levels of power are ultimately going to decide what circle of spells are refunded. A sorceror who seems to never run out of spells to throw might also stick out more; adding to the chances of discovery.

Like suggestion one, I think another spell effect should be added when this ability sets off. Like the one we see from negative energy burst, or inflict wounds (visual cues are great give-aways!)

3. Exchange Mass Virulent Bomb: For balancing reasons, this spell had to be nerfed (And frankly, I don't disagree with the decision!); though it did feel like the death syphon lost their signature move as a result (And let's be honest... a free virulent bomb isn't much of a lvl 8 power for a sorceror). As such, I have two suggestions on what to replace it with thematic to the class's flavor:

A. Cloudkill: The most obvious option. Mostly balanced, but might have the danger of encouraging transmutation-focused death syphons.

B. Circle of Death: Perhaps too powerful, but a spell almost never seen and thematically appropriate to the class. (It is also essentially impossible for sorcerors to ever acquire this otherwise; even if they get a lvl 11 app approval!)

C. Undeath to Death: A distinctly necromantic ability appropriate to the class. Harmless to the living, but demonstrates the death syphon's growing mastery over 'death' as an element.

D. Slay Living: Another dangerous ability, but far less lethal than most suggestions above; and thematic to the theme of the class.

Anywho, those are my suggestions. Hope we'll see an update sometime!  :)

Astegard

A perk that has synergy with curses and cursed gear.

Aka regular buffs like bulls etc actually harm them giving minus attributes.
But spells like curse give them +2 to all attributes across the board.

Idea is that normally negative spells, gear and diseases buff them instead.

Zickery

Cosmic Sorcerer
Good (Lunar) or Evil (Solar) only.

Cosmic Sorcerers are fundamentally aligned to either the Sun or Moon through either fate or some inexplicable freak accident. They derive great and esoteric power from their stellar body that bolsters their magic in ways strange and exotic. They gain bonuses (and penalties) during the time of day the font of their power rules. Evil is associated with the Sun and Good with the Moon.

1:
Flame Weapon set to Astral VFX.
+4 Astronomy
+2 Lore
+1 to all skill checks during your aligned time.
inf/day Starblight player tool

5:
Regeneration 1 during your aligned time.
+1 CL during your aligned time, -1 CL during your disaligned time.

8:
1/day Solar Circle player tool (Evil only)
1/day Contingency player tool (Good only)
CL bonus raises to +2.

During the new moon, Solar Sorcerers temporarily receive +2 CON. During the full moon, Lunar Sorcerers temporarily receive +2 CHA.

LoveLess

Contriver suggestions:
Double the health of your Shelgarn's animated weapons
Reduce the duration of all Shelgarn effects by half

Zickery

Invoker

Beckoning ancient powers or drawing on some deep reservoir of internal power Invokers project into being forces far stronger than themselves.

1:
- Summon Familiar is replaced by a creature from your summoning theme of the highest spell tier you can cast.
- Summon Familiar persists until your creature dies or you rest.
- Your Familiar receives +AB equal to your base INT mod.
- Your Familiar receives +AC equal to your base WIS mod.
- Your Familiar receives +HP equal to your CHA mod times level.
- You cannot use normal summoning spells. They are barred to you.
- You cannot possess your Familiar.
- You do not lose experience when your familiar dies.

5:
- Augment Familiar 1/day token, works on your modified Familiar.
- Familiar gets special VFX to indicate that it is more dangerous than normal summons.

8:
- Your Familiar can no longer be banished by dispel or dismissal. Banishment still destroys it as normal.
- You can now possess your Familiar.

KreShar

Can we give + archaeology points to the archaelogist rogue perk and + lore points to the loremaster bard perk? Maybe +2 each?

CoffeeBean

Requested change: Change poison on hit to have a primary and secondary effect. Suggested primary effect being a d8 in poison damage if failed the 14 dc save, and the secondary applying a wounding effect if the target, again, fails the 14 dc save.

Reason: The active itself only lasts for one minute- Meaning you'll only have the opportunity to inflict the poison once. The poison itself is only a d2 at a 14 dc and only applies that d2 after a minute, thus preventing the target from being poisoned again for that duration. In both pvp and pve, I do not see a use.

thegn

Fighter Perk: Shield Bearer

[Tower Shield Only]

Level 1: Equipped Tower Shield gains 10% Physical Damage Immunity

Level 5: Equipped Tower Shield gains 1d4 piercing damaging shield

Level 8: 3/day Shield Charge: Creates an aura around the fighter that inflicts 4d4 bludgeoning damage / round for 5 rounds AOE to mimic a shield charge.

CoffeeBean

"While raging ONCE per rest, if HP is brought below 1 the barbarian is healed instead with cure critical wounds"

I think, if it isn't already, this would be better off as a general feature rather than being restricted to when raging. Rage only lasts about 2 minutes at 18 con while level 8, and if you're already low on health, you're probably going to be healing yourself (or be healed by a teammate), so it doesn't really give you the opportunity to make use of this feature.

Runic

Rogue Major Perk: Barber

Rogues with a reputation as a renowned tender of wounds, the Barber is oft known by the age old saying; "One hand on the wound, one hand on the wallet."

+3 Heal, +3 Pickpocket, Immunity to Disease, Wounding added to equipped small arms (Daggers, etc)

Level 9 Skill Bonus +10 Heal

Fuzz

Barbarian Perk

SAVAGE PUMMELER

LEVEL 1
- Improved Unarmed Strike feat
- +1d2 Bludgeoning damage to gloves when Raging
- Rage also gives -4 Concentration for the duration

LEVEL 5
- 5% Bludgeoning Immunity
- Damage bonus increases to +1/2 Strength Bonus Bludgeoning damage to gloves when Raging

LEVEL 8
- Damage bonus increases to +Strength Ability modifier Bludgeoning damage to gloves

This is similar in theory to BG3 Tavern Brawler in that it gets to double the Strength Bonus, but it's only to unarmed attacks and only while raging to keep it pretty balanced and limited use.

Sorcerer Perk

ASPECT ATTUNER

With the advent of Aspects since the Ringfall, a new breed of sorcerer has been arising - those who can attune their very bodies to synchronize with Aspects.

LEVEL 1
- Attune Aspect 1x/day
This new player tool/feat allows the player to attune to a random aspect currently equipped on their body for 1 Hour/level. Unequipping items or equipping any new items will immediately cancel the effect. When attuned, the Sorcerer counts that aspect as 1 higher than its equipped value for the purpose of bonuses.

LEVEL 5
- Attune Aspect 2x/day
- Spellcraft +3

LEVEL 8
- Aspect Avatar 1x/day
This new feat/tool clears any existing attunement and instead attunes the Sorcerer's body to ALL aspects currently equipped, with each one counting as 1 level higher for 2 rounds/level. At the end of the duration the strain on the Sorcerer's body deals Xd2 Astral damage, where X is the number of different aspects improved.

Runic

Furnisher - Sorcerer Perk

Level 1 - Summon theme changed to Furniture, Summon Creature is cast at one tier higher (Summon I becomes Summon II)

Level 5 - Building +5, Sorcerer's Token that casts Crafters Insight 3/Day, Proficiency with Light Hammers

Level 8 - Character gains special barricade pack upon resting (barricade pack has stoneskin (DR 10/+5) applied to it upon placement. If pack is detected in inventory, another pack is not spawned). Furniture costs 50% less from furniture vendors, repairing furniture costs 50% less.

CoffeeBean

I'd like to suggest that the on rest benefit of this perk be changed. The irony of this perks "on-rest" ability is that it's way less effective than simply using a salutary tonic. Since it doesn't remove the negative effects of resting with a disease (if you fail the fort check), resting usually requires you to restore yourself anyways.

I think it would be more useful if, per rest, you get either an anti-toxin, a salutary tonic, or a medicinal herb at random.