The Wilds

Started by Thomas_Not_very_wise, February 05, 2009, 10:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas_Not_very_wise

Spawns are not scaled, whoever said this doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

They are only scaled in Quest Areas

Germain

In a recent journey across the Isle, myself and two others players (2 Lev 5 PCs and 1 level 6) encountered a veritable mess of various "nasty" creatures as well.  While I fully admit that I had thought, "All we need now is Traensyr Slavers", I don't believe the spawns themselves need to be necessarily scaled back.

Even with the combined toughness of these various beasts, the three of us were able to push on and reach the area we wished.  It did force us to rethink our initial strategy and rely on chance in some sense but I think I enjoyed that aspect the most.  If anything, having even made the round trip unscathed, I will make certain to have a scout or tracker in my midst next time. Which in turn, in my opinion, just allows more PCs to get involved.

My final opinion... leave it as is.

Thomas_Not_very_wise

Thane, the point I make is this is ridiculous.

You simply don't have a Malar beast in every area.

Jungle Cats spawning within 50 feet of each other.

A werewolf in most areas.

Assassin vines wandering around

Orc Raiders in every other area.

I don't mind dangerous, in fact, I welcome it, as long as it can be over come.

Right now, I am deathly afraid of the wilds, because my druid cannot possibly get enough stealth ranks to wander the wilds. The point of being a druid is to do just that, even at low levels. The current spawns have good listen and spot, this is more dangerous than the Sand Caverns, and this isn't confined to a single space!

Perhaps making areas more dangerous than others, I'd agree with that, but having a spawn that will terrify low level parties, Malar Panthers, werewolves, when they go exploring, is ridiculous. Maybe knowing which areas are dangerous, and which ones to avoid is something that can be developed.

Thomas_Not_very_wise

Okay, it isn't as bad anymore.

I concede to Mort's point.

XExileX

To just ignore all this crap... pay the 30 or 50 coins for a boat ride. Their also monster free!

Listen in Silence

Flayer stargazers and wild orcs spawning in the mountains are not set to hostile against eachother... From my knowledge of the internal politics of the savage races, this would be a mistake/bug/oversight?

This also goes for certain wild animals, such as brown bears not attacking orcs. If they could be set to hostile against eachother, the danger lvl of the wild would be scaled down slightly as the realism increases.

Aldrick Tanith

Quote from: Listen in Silence;109303Flayer stargazers and wild orcs spawning in the mountains are not set to hostile against eachother... From my knowledge of the internal politics of the savage races, this would be a mistake/bug/oversight?

This also goes for certain wild animals, such as brown bears not attacking orcs. If they could be set to hostile against eachother, the danger lvl of the wild would be scaled down slightly as the realism increases.

I like this suggestion.  Coming across a wild orc battling a flayer and then ganging up on them in the middle of the fight.  That's more fun and realistic than simply walking around, and suddenly you turn a corner and there are two individuals standing there looking at each other, when they realistically would be locked in mortal combat.

Sphagnum

Learning curve or not, I get the feeling that people don't want to leave the Ziggurat at all now and it takes the fun out of exploring :(

Talir

Is this restrictive to night only? I went out alongside an other player to the west point beach and the only dangerous things we encountered was 1 Shambling mound, 1 musk creeper and a jelly that acted like a real transition cube (to our frustration). Considering the areas we went through, I say it wasn't much different from what was expected of the places. It could be that areas such as the mountains have an IG reason for being tougher.

Are the spawns limited to certain places?

Thomas_Not_very_wise

It's been slowed down, i think.

It used to be ridiculous.

Tracker

OK, I'm getting in the first post in anticipation of the rest of my party earlier adding on stuff.

The Mountains. Are. Ridiculous.

The team involved consisted entirely of Rangers, Druids, Rogues and combinations thereof, built for sneaking. We ended up stuck between two lots of ogres and feeling doomed.

These things are Barbs with massively high AC, huge damage, great AB, High HP, and high spot. And backed up by Icestorm-capable mages. If I encountered a couple of these on a quest, they would be a deadly opponent, IMO a Boss-grade one. They are now all over the place. It feels like walking through the old UD Ogres quest.

Then there are orc Berzerker teams, and even Shargaas Disciples. I've heard of multiple ones of those in one session, that doesn't sound like a 2.2% chance. And they are lethal, even in Wild Orcs 2 when you KNOW they are there. It's like a 2.2% chance something aims a PhK at you almost.

Strong, Tough, Sneak Attacks, Spot, Stealth. If you want to balance it, nothing should have more than two of those features. Even before, it was not a walk in the park. Jungle Cats were very nasty, the odd Orc Warrior or Guerilla team was trouble for a lone PC, and there was a good range of foes.

I played a scouting ranger in the UD, and that was a lot easier. At leas there, the nastiest, most dangerous stuff was things you could spot coming.

GravenKiss

I can only second what Tracker said. In one run I did see atleast 20 ogres (those guardians, elders and bandits), 40 or more orcs, 4 malar beasts in one place (I liked that though ;)) and a couple of other nasties.
I do not want to complain, but it's all cool when it happens during a war and everyone might know it's full of bad orcs out there, but when it happens that two wild orcs berserkers plus the obligatory Shargass deciple spawn on the sloped road (the one point near the entrance) then something seems a bit overpowered to me. On the other hand what do I know.

Thomas_Not_very_wise

Remove, them, Ogres, please.

Mort

I'll see what I can do to address these concerns.