Less Dangerous spawns in Low Roads

Started by ABlackSwan, December 21, 2015, 06:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABlackSwan

So this happened to me twice, came out of a transition only to find myself surrounded by about five Goblin troopers, a juggernaut, a commando and mage. Once you are tanglefoot it's pretty much over and you die cause of all the sneak attacks. It makes it really hard to travel even with another person cause these are pretty strong spawns, I know Underdark is suppose to be dangerous and all but this just seems like certain death. So hoping it's possible we spawn less or make them less dangerous, cause it's really annoying to keep dying to these same spawns over and over again with no chance of escape.

SilkHidingSteel

I don't think the spawns in either the Crossroads or the Low Roads are too dangerous or terrible. They should not, however, be enemies spawning directly within range of aggression any of the transitions, which is a pretty big problem in many cases.

I think there used to be a lot more directly on the gate-to-crossroads transition and they were moved. Perhaps the same should be done in the Low Roads.

xXCrystal_Rose

What happens is that when they spawn and their intended victim runs through a transition they will abandon chase if they were not close enough to follow them through. So when goblins/zombies/bears are sitting on a transition like that it is not because they spawned there or were left there, it's because they chased someone and left their original location.

Bouquet of Roses

That's not the only reason. By one of the exits from the Hidden Pond, packs have a tendency to spawn right on top of you. Same with the Moldmire, and, though not as serious, the transitions towards the Spire and the Scamander.

I agree, though. Generally, I have no real issue with the difficulty of the spawns, in that they sort of almost force non-stealthers or non-invis casters to move in groups.
I think it's sort of a shame that some packs have been increased so heavily in strength, though, that two people travelling together are pretty much guaranteed to be crushed by them, if they're not both 9 with immense supplies.

AirCanada

I dont think, personally, that the spawns are unfair.  I have spent a lot of time as a non-stealth, plate-wearing fighter roaming around the low road and surrounding areas looking for rothe.  Yes, I've come across some pretty tough spawns, but I've been able to handle just about all of them solo, with no potions used.  I'm mechanically-inclined, so that helps, and I probably wouldn't recommend roaming around solo.

I'll add that, as someone mentioned previously, the Underdark is supposed to be a dangerous place!

OpenDoors

I actually think these spawns can be rather cruel to Nature PC's whom have to deal with a spawn of goblin troopers when they often travel alone, perhaps making it less deadly would make non-stealth nature PC's more viable in the long run, as whenever I saw a spawn I had to just basically run from it and hope I did well on my reflex save. The same can be said for deep lizards.

crapper_scrapper

Making the UD easy is not a good answer, the UD is supposed to be dangerous.  Characters should prepare better if they plan to explore and move around alone.  I know for a fact nature PCs have the ability to collect supply that can really make this a non-issue.

Saturnalia

As far as an agro issue at transitions, would there be some way to get monsters to walk back to their spawn point after a set amount of time?

Right now I am playing a nature-stealth and haven't really noticed many spawns that are overwhelming, especially on the Sanctuary side of the troll bridge. I have always been under the impression of the UD being dangerous, if not exceptionally. If you are playing a character who doesn't have the personal skills to survive exploring in the UD then you should gather some friends to compensate for that. Goblins aren't difficult to sneak past, and there are plenty of detours if they are blocking your path.

VanillaPudding

There are scripts that make monsters not transition and/or run from transitions that I have seen, but I don't know that EFU desires that when considering that  it hasn't been done already.