Algarn Granitesoul

Started by Pigadig, January 12, 2016, 08:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigadig

It has been a long time coming but he is finally dead.

Algarn was born on the furthest edges of the Great Rift, in a small clan holding in the underdark. Due to its severe shortage in numbers most of the dwarvern children there grew up from a young age fighting, killing and dying, and Algarn was no different â€" which is why his suggested solutions to most problems was to get angry about it followed shortly by “kill it”. He had only just become old enough to be considered an adult when the Darkening came and the Dread rose up from the depths around the world to invade. Needless to say that, as a small fortress, Clan Granitesoul was quickly overrun and a handful of survivors were forced to flee towards the surface. In the end, only Algarn reached the surface alive, before finding one of Sanctuary's portals.

His relationship with the Crystal was complicated from the beginning. The primary driving force behind almost all of Algarn's actions was a combination of “get revenge” and “save all other dwarves who are still fighting on the surface”, and at first the Crystal and its advocates promised much. It quickly became apparent though that for all their promises the Crystal itself was not living up to them â€" the tools it made were useful, but nowhere near enough to bring about an end to the Dread. This caused Algarn to try different means of fighting, from attempting to unite the dwarves of Sanctuary into a coherent group and failing miserably multiple times, through to being a part of raids against targets of opportunity and Traesnyr itself â€" and generally just trying to make the Society seem like a worthy cause to be supporting... needless to say he also tended to fail at these things as well.

In the end it was yet another failed raid against Traesnyr, this time an attempt to reach the surface, that broke his hopes for finding another way. So in desperation he turned back to supporting the Crystal and attempting to see it become a weapon capable of fighting the Dread. This eventually culminated in the events that led up to the War and his demise, but also led to him becoming a Ritualist of the Ordered Mind.

Exposure to the Ordered Mind changed Algarn greatly. It soothed his anger and near perpetual rage by giving him a taste of the vengeance that he hoped was to come, as well as greatly empowering him. Alas it was not nearly enough to live to see his vengeance attained and so, after a lengthy final battle, he died alone surrounded by enemies.

Accepting his inevitable fate his final words were “So be it.”

- - - - - - - - - -

Unfortunately I forgot to take a screenshot of his final stats, so instead have one of Algarn from 12 or so months ago going almost all out. He ended up LG when he became a Ritualist. I got to level 10 twice and was 5K away from a third time, with a 20% xp penalty, and let me tell you I am never doing that again. Favoured classes all the way!
  [hide=]

[/hide]

The Imaskari plotline was the one that cemented with certainty that the Society and Spellguard would eventually go to war in my mind. Also the PCs and players and storyline involved were amazing and filled with great locales.
  [hide=]

[/hide]

Algarn spent most of his time randomly wandering the underdark, sometimes with friends, mostly alone.
  [hide=]

[/hide]

Sometimes that resulted in finding strange and interesting places and things...
  [hide=]

[/hide]

The war between the Society and the Spellguard was a bloody affair and filled with searching for hidden secrets and knowledge for an edge in battle.
  [hide=]

[/hide]

Throughout Algarn's time in the Society he interacted with a great number of Ordinants and other PCs...
  [hide=]

[/hide]

From his start as an Oathsworn right through to becoming a Ritualist...
  [hide=]

[/hide]

And he experienced a great many strange things along the way.
  [hide=]

[/hide]

Some of them not so very serious.
  [hide=]

[/hide]

Lucky last, the loot. He kept the fan art he got from Fenrick right through to the very final moment.
  [hide=]

[/hide]

The end!

EventHorizon

I really cannot convey how amazed I was by Algarn on the battlefield - one of the only two times I ever got to experience him, and he was a zen master on both occasions, the first time saying to Nov'ah, "I hope you are not mixed up in the Spellguard's side of this war" or something to that effect, despite having good enough reason to stop her where they met, the other time profoundly accepting the outcome of the battle in his last words, "So be it." It was a rare moment, because almost never do I get to see a character fall in such a cinematic and true-to-heart way, due to the usual logistical problems with trying to RP in combat. So kudos for that, mate.

bobofwestoregonusa

Algran has earned a special title in Dukes's upcoming epic: Algran the Invincible for how terrifying an opponent he was that day.

Algran has earned a place in several PC's nightmares and the Duke will be making sure his ferocity is remembered forever.

Rookie

Algarn and Dess, in my opinion, are the two most epic PCs of EFU:R.

NothingGoldCanStay

These are some seriously legit screenshots. A great PC, and it was a pleasure warring with you burrowboar.

Vagrant Savant

"Only a dwarven tracker can last in the Lowerdark," to paraphrase something Algarn once said during my first meeting him. That really stuck with me, inconsequential as it is, since I was a new player to EFU:R, and the lore of Forgotten Realms in general. It imparted a foreshadowing of just how dangerous I'd later learn Lowerdark is, and spoke so many volumes for Algarn's dour veteran status. May the one true dwarven legend never die.

CondorHero

RIP Algarn, bad-ass to the end. ;_; 7

VanillaPudding

domare

Truly and epic player.  Algarn brought so much depth to the Society.  He will be missed and remembered in the annals of EfU history.  Well played my friend.  

efuincarnate

Great dwarf, great Ordinant.  A legend, if ever there was one.

Pentaxius

You blew your own socks off

Bearic

Ironside

Some excellent times with Algarn, nice work.

putrid_plum

Awesome PC loved playing along side him.

Tala

I really enjoyed Algarn. I'm glad you've managed to have a conclusion to his story.