Dispel Options: Non-Magical Classes

Started by Cruzel, March 10, 2017, 10:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruzel

This is something EFU is sorely lacking, in recent days. It's been said over and over by more than a few people, but probably deserves its own thread.  With gold being super abundant, dispel wands are also hugely common now.  Caster classes and rogues/rangers can easily  score up enough gold to get 25 charges of lesser dispel, leaving fighters, barbs, and monks with only three ways I know of to get access to any kind of dispelling whatsoever.

​1: Pay another class (that already has dispel options) to buy a single use throwable from a certain npc at 300-400 gold (compared to the 1600-2000? a 25 charge lesser dispel wand costs?).
​2: Pay low level/new pcs to run a certain trio of quests and hope you get svirfneblin disruptors
3: Pay an alchemist to churn out single use items with a 24h cooldown on each, one at a time.

​To put it simply:   Fighters, Monks, and Barbarians all get utterly boned by this disadvantage.

​An easy solution would be to add svirfneblin disruptors to the drop pool of the dunwarren quests that don't have them, and to add "Abjurative powder/Magic disruptor" throwables to other quests around the underdark with "OUB:FIGHTER/BARB/MONK  ///DO NOT UMD (maybe script enforced?)" to prevent them from adding to the current dispel plague otherwise.

I think a few items in the above mentioned "class shop" could probably also stand to make their way into quest drop pools, too. Stancebreach, vanishing smoke, and so on.

​Worth mentioning:  While I refer to it as a "dispel plague" the issue isn't the number of dispels in play. It's the imbalance of who can use them. Lots of dispels is a good thing imo, because it helps manage supply bloat by forcing people to churn out more supplies in pvp.  This is great, as long as everybody has some method of reliably getting in on the dispel action.

Scholastic Militant

worth noting that svirf disruptors bypass minor globe and so are much stronger than vanilla dispel. vanilla dispel charge items would be better

Cruzel

@ above : Pretty sure there are few variants of dispelling throwables. Svirf disruptors are the most powerful ones in the module I think, and should remain semi-rare (but not as rare as they are now). However there are "Magic disruptors" and "abjurative powder" throwables that are weaker in dispel strength and don't bypass globes and such, which I was aiming at suggesting we make more common and add to quest pools.

A radical alternate suggestion that would involve significantly less DM toolset work:

​Make a player tool toggle that lets crafter PCs make "wands for dummies" that have no class restrictions whatsoever but have reduced charges? Say, 10+(d6) instead of the 25 a normal wand would get? Maybe less than that.  Restrict which wands can be "simplified" to prevent full bab classes and monks from dominating.  Maybe only make it work for dispels, and -maybe- healing? No buffs or hostile spells.

goate

I don't really think fighters/barbs/monks having ready access to dispels is a good thing; While buffed PCs certainly have an advantage over unbuffed PCs, a debuffed sorc or wizard is helpless before a fighter/barb/monk. Perhaps a bit more dispel should be available to those classes, but perhaps not much more.

-Grackattack

Edit: And snoteye was wrong, Cruzel is never right.

Tala

Not really excited about any of the ideas above because I don't think it will fix what you're going for and will probably make things more imbalanced. It will just be a lot of toolset/scripting work and nothing that I think is really needed.

If DISPEL WANDS break the game so much, they can just cost more. But then it's a "nerf" to something and everyone is so sensitive about these things these days.

Just that from my point of view not every issue (not active enough to know if it's really an issue or just something that people are so passionate about lately because of one or two incidents) needs making new items and added to multiple quests and drops, or making a new system, when there's a simpler, more elegant solution.