I am Howlando, AMA

Started by Howlando, September 09, 2017, 11:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerotje

What are the best/most fun playermade factions you remember (pls add a efu:r one too)?

Random_White_Guy

Having played the beta and such in the way back before time as a few of us vets around here, from the DM end how quickly into EFU:1's development did it become apparent that something above and beyond was underway? EFU clearly trapped some lightning in a bottle as one of the more popular NWN servers. In EFU:A things were already well established so didn't get to see much of the first stage of all the crazy.

If you could kill one FR deity from the still living list, which would you choose?

[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

I love cats

Did the DMS draw inspiraitons from other fanasy novels?

For me the Conclave/consort thing was a rip off of the Aes Sedai/Warder bonds in Wheel of Time. Also the Order seemed to be too much like the knights Watch!

Is it true that there was a communist conspiracy amongst the DM team to make the server into a communist utopia including absurd measures to redistribute gold, XP, and DM loot?

Was it possible to prevent H'bala from being released?

Was there any PC that was capable of beating Trenada in a duel?

If the Tigereye mercenary company and the Stygian Armada where to go to war Who would have won?

Was Ixpadia Sabuth the legitimate queen?

Will Ithilkrazt/the cult of the false flame come back?

Which gangster faction was your favorite? (Gang factions being Dabber derbies, Ledskirs, Dirty Nancies, Sons of Sabuth, Red Smiles,)

What the hell happened to Mr poppers?  

Where is Cudwig the younger?

Why was Ivylsar killed by Chosen?

Was Bhast a Chosen Agent or just a random dude infected with lycanthropy? What was Bhast's agenda.

Whatever happened to Lieutenant Kozamis the LT who was the mastermind of the Sheriff Walters slaver ring?

Who would win in a mage duel Barakat or H'bala?

Who's idea was it to have goblin suicide bombers?

Howlando

QuoteWhich chapter has been your favorite plotwise? Why?
I think the ending of EFU:M was really fun in terms of plots. It was quite intense but it felt very exciting with lots of different things going on.

QuoteWhich has been your favorite to build? Why?
EFU:R has been the most fun for building. We have some haks. A lot of our systems work well so there is less stress about things like bugs related to the quest system, death system, and so on. In general I think EFU:R is the most well "built" chapter by a large margin.

QuoteWhat are the best/most fun playermade factions you remember (pls add a efu:r one too)?

EFU1 had a lot - Uncle Worn's gang, some of the Lower Groups, the Montezzi... many others

EFU:A Aubrey Craddock's Gang - Albert Gull's The Black Hundred - the Laddermen - etc.

The crazy humanists in EFU:M - many others I'm forgetting....

I'm having trouble thinking of good EFU:R candidates.I liked some of the groups based out of lairs, like the wild orc group and some of the necro groups. The Resolute Brethren were cool. WAYFINDERS of course, ha ha.

QuoteHaving played the beta and such in the way back before time as a few of us vets around here, from the DM end how quickly into EFU:1's development did it become apparent that something above and beyond was underway?

I remember the first real event where a LOT of people showed up to make characters and escape from lizardfolk-enforced slavery. And afterwards the first real team dm'ing, with people running all over Upper and Lower and exploring a world I had built, being able to possess random NPCs and interact with people. And also watching my fellow DMs enjoy it also. It was definitely very appealing.

QuoteIf you could kill one FR deity from the still living list, which would you choose?
It's not that I hate the FR gods so much but rather I prefer EFU's metaphysics and cosmology to function in a different manner. Mostly I think god-deaths are most useful when it's part of something else, and that just requires - time.

QuoteDid the DMS draw inspiraitons from other fanasy novels?

For me the Conclave/consort thing was a rip off of the Aes Sedai/Warder bonds in Wheel of Time. Also the Order seemed to be too much like the knights Watch!

Oh yes, we draw inspiration from lots of sources. Although I don't think Wheel of Time is quite accurate for the Conclave. I think the trope of the Wizard/Paired Fighter is fairly universal in fantasy.

​And I'd say the Order came from other sources also, although I'm not sure which ones specifically.

QuoteIs it true that there was a communist conspiracy amongst the DM team to make the server into a communist utopia including absurd measures to redistribute gold, XP, and DM loot?
No.

QuoteWas it possible to prevent H'bala from being released?
Yes, but realistically it probably would have happened eventually. Maybe she isn't released in the first attempt but the second, third... the story has a life of its own and H'bala eventually getting out is not something that could have been delayed forever.

QuoteWas there any PC that was capable of beating Trenada in a duel?
Capable? Sure. An unlucky roll on a mind save, for example, maybe...

Probably you mean if any PC could have physically bested Trenada with sword/weapon. I'm not sure about that but it's possible.

QuoteIf the Tigereye mercenary company and the Stygian Armada where to go to war Who would have won?
Good question. Let's see.

"The Captain" and Trenada himself were probably similarly matched in terms of martial prowess but I'd give the edge to Trenada for having more élan.
The Stygian Armada was, I suppose, more numerous.
The Stygian Armada certainly would have the edge in any kind of naval engagement; but the Tigereyes knew the UD well and operated much better in caves/darkness.
Tigereye Duergar vs. Stygian Infantrymen, too close to say.
The Stygians had an ace up in their sleeve with Shaar'kall.
The Tigereyes had an ace up in their sleeve with a very sneaky Rakshasa-blood Tiefling Wizard.
But in the end I think Samson would have taken a few contemplative puffs of his pipe, persuaded both sides that there was no profit in fighting, smooth things over, and instead they would have a giant party. The Captain would beat Trenada in a drinking contest but Trenada would clean up at the gaming tables.

QuoteWas Ixpadia Sabuth the legitimate queen?
Depends who you ask.

QuoteWill Ithilkrazt/the cult of the false flame come back?
Interesting question.

QuoteWhich gangster faction was your favorite? (Gang factions being Dabber derbies, Ledskirs, Dirty Nancies, Sons of Sabuth, Red Smiles,)
Hard to say. I liked the Ledskirs.

QuoteWhat the hell happened to Mr poppers?
He got killed by the up-and-coming young generation. If you know what I mean.

QuoteWhere is Cudwig the younger?
Good question!

QuoteWhy was Ivylsar killed by Chosen?
Was he?

QuoteWas Bhast a Chosen Agent or just a random dude infected with lycanthropy? What was Bhast's agenda.
Bhast was an aspiring tyrant. But he crossed the wrong people. He was assassinated by PCs and hadn't been infected by lycanthropy for long when he was. Layers upon layers.

QuoteWhatever happened to Lieutenant Kozamis the LT who was the mastermind of the Sheriff Walters slaver ring?
Perhaps he retired to a pleasant little island in the Dark Lake to tend to a garden and play with his grandchildren until he had a heart-attack. Sometimes bad guys have happy endings.

QuoteWho would win in a mage duel Barakat or H'bala?
​I think it would depend on what stage of their development and what other advantages they had. Think of it like this - neither could really destroy the other just from spells alone. They could toss magic all day long but it would just bounce off. A lot would depend upon what servitors or allies they had at hand, which artifacts they had immediate access to, in which territory they were fighting, and so on. At that level of power contests between foes operate on a different level; it's more like a game of chess.

In a sense they did have a mage duel. And, well, we can look what happened and who came out on top and who is currently seething inside of a mushroom.

QuoteWho's idea was it to have goblin suicide bombers?
Arkov scripted suicide bomber vests, I was the one tasteless enough to start sticking them on goblins en masse.

Damien

While there are many races to play in efu it's always been about 80%-90%, is that meant to be the case?

In terms of limits how unlimited is efur? For instance are all areas currently accessible without a dm?

Will the island of set ever make a comeback? I forget it's name...

Speaking of which will the number of islands to travel to be expanded?

Do shaggabeasts have a real purpose?

What was the most overpowered piece of loot ever given out?

Do stewards have a place/purpose anymore? They were moved from major to minor faction after all and a lot of dms/players have annimosty towards it.

I heard a story about the reason you got banned from coa and it sounds hilarious. Are you able to confirm the story?

Is ubtao alive?

Where is makumbo?

Could a pc ever become a deity?

Will the scholar ever reappear?

Will the Phoenix ever come back?

What's the deal with the heads everywhere on ymph?

What's the deal with the sarrukh everywhere?

Should beholders and ilithids ever be allies?

Is cathbads axe still in efu?

Will we ever find out more about all the original inhabitants of ymph?

Is Melissa a vampire spy of barakat?

Is ojo still alive?

What's your favourite theme? Ie necromancy, ooze, etc

Is the moander plot still ongoing?

Why are there always fey in every setting?

Is goblin leper island really gone?

Howlando

QuoteWhile there are many races to play in efu it's always been about 80%-90%, is that meant to be the case?
You mean humans? Yes, this is good.

QuoteIn terms of limits how unlimited is efur? For instance are all areas currently accessible without a dm?
No, not all areas are accessible without a DM of course.

QuoteWill the island of set ever make a comeback? I forget it's name...
Adun'ubis. I'm not sure about this one.

QuoteSpeaking of which will the number of islands to travel to be expanded?
Probably.

QuoteDo shaggabeasts have a real purpose?
They have the same purpose as anything else I implement - for me, they are amusing and help flesh out the world we have made.

I would not be surprised if they play some deeper role in the story at some point, if that's what you're getting at. But we'll see.

QuoteWhat was the most overpowered piece of loot ever given out?
There was a ring that slipped through the cracks that gave immunity to dispel, maybe that - because it wasn't actually intended to be so powerful.

There has also been various epic loot of sorts but usually intended as such. For example, the relics from the Shrine of Torizaela used on the march on H'bala's tower.

The most powerful item ever possessed by a PC.... why, I suppose that would be the Crown of the Isles.

QuoteDo stewards have a place/purpose anymore? They were moved from major to minor faction after all and a lot of dms/players have annimosty towards it.
I think the faction is consistently misunderstood.

But yes, I think they have a purpose.

QuoteI heard a story about the reason you got banned from coa and it sounds hilarious. Are you able to confirm the story?
Whatever story you heard is probably not true but probably better not to discuss here.

QuoteIs ubtao alive?
No. Dendar's first victim I believe.

QuoteWhere is makumbo?
Dead.

QuoteCould a pc ever become a deity?
Yes.

QuoteWill the scholar ever reappear?
No.

QuoteWill the Phoenix ever come back?
You know what they say about Phoenixes....

QuoteWhat's the deal with the heads everywhere on ymph?
Which heads?

QuoteWhat's the deal with the sarrukh everywhere?
They are part of the setting.

QuoteShould beholders and ilithids ever be allies?
'Should'?

You mean can they be? Well, perhaps on an individual level, but generally the races dislike each other.

QuoteIs cathbads axe still in efu?
Yes.

QuoteWill we ever find out more about all the original inhabitants of ymph?
Original inhabitants meaning...?

QuoteIs Melissa a vampire spy of barakat?
I don't know who Melissa is.

QuoteIs ojo still alive?
Interesting question.

QuoteWhat's your favourite theme? Ie necromancy, ooze, etc
I guess whatever is fresher/newer as one can easily get bored with the old classics. Necromancy is great but benefits from a new twist or approach when utilized.

QuoteIs the moander plot still ongoing?
There is still a major area of Rot that probably will have some role to play in the story.

QuoteWhy are there always fey in every setting?
​There are always goblins and zombies and orcs and many other things also.

QuoteIs goblin leper island really gone?
No, it is not gone.

The Dawn's Early Light

This is a nagging little detail that has bothered me for years now. After the Red Star rose and all the pregnant women in the world suffered either abortions or stillbirths, did children ever start to be born normally again? I mean, it ought to be obvious if they did. But if they didn't and haven't, that would be the end of the world anyway, Sun or no Sun, just not with a bang but with a whimper.

Howlando

They started to be born normally.

Silvermoon Dervish

Who's supplying the skeletons, stone lizards, ogres and everyone else with tanglefoot bags?

Can we have more slow and steady solo activities?

Is there any way at all to bring back silent deities?

Is there a justification item in the beholders' eye?

Do the DMs run a score board for permakilled PCs?

Can Selune bring back the Order of the Crescent Blade somehow?

Will illithid PCs ever be app-able with a reasonable degree of acceptance?

Does seafood remind you of the Housing Vaults?

Do Unit 731 documentaries remind you of Serena Tower?

Does the river Ganges remind you of Lower?

Which male NPC is the most well-endowed?

Which female NPC would make the best waifu?

Certified Retrievals

What happened to Adelia Tyrell?

What about her hat?

Scholastic Militant

Who added dispel ghosts to seers

Howlando

QuoteWho's supplying the skeletons, stone lizards, ogres and everyone else with tanglefoot bags?

Stone Lizards is a bug, but maybe they spit something at you. I don't think it's unreasonable for these various other monsters to have access to such a simple supply. Perhaps I will build a quest that has a bunch of industrious goblins making tanglefoot bags in a factory with various representatives of other monsters coming along to buy packages of it. Or maybe a random. Yeah, I think I'll do that some day.

QuoteCan we have more slow and steady solo activities?
For example?

QuoteIs there any way at all to bring back silent deities?
Perhaps.

QuoteIs there a justification item in the beholders' eye?
I don't know what that is.

QuoteDo the DMs run a score board for permakilled PCs?
​No. But sometimes on events that are intended to be super deadly (like, for example, end of chapter escape quests) DMs have a Legolas/Gimli style "counter"....

QuoteCan Selune bring back the Order of the Crescent Blade somehow?
I don't know what that is but I don't usually like canon groups.

QuoteWill illithid PCs ever be app-able with a reasonable degree of acceptance?
No.

QuoteDoes seafood remind you of the Housing Vaults?
No.

QuoteDo Unit 731 documentaries remind you of Serena Tower?
No.

QuoteDoes the river Ganges remind you of Lower?
No.

QuoteWhich male NPC is the most well-endowed?
We have discovered the answer to Damien's fifth question.

QuoteWhich female NPC would make the best waifu?
The answer that comes to mind of course is Dear Isebel, beloved of Zyphaem Faussad.

Howlando

QuoteWhat happened to Adelia Tyrell?
Haven't you found her yet?

QuoteWhat about her hat?
I think a certain NPC kept it in his collection, last I recall...

QuoteWho added dispel ghosts to seers
A member of the DM team.

Silvermoon Dervish

Who'd win in a fist fight between you and Ed Greenwod?

How many times, and how fast, did the Tigereye Mercenaries trade passion for glory?

Did they lose their grip on the dreams of the past?

VanillaPudding

Have any large / meta plots ever shifted in a direction that you never really saw coming? If so, was the cause of the change player driven, based on the feel / feedback of it, or something else?

What is one large idea for a plot that the DM team had which never really happened?

Without naming the person, what is the largest donation EFU ever received?

What is your favorite single class to play? Multiclass?

Tower of Mercy is often considered to be the "best" quest, overall, or at least always makes the list. Why do you think that is and, would you ever alter it to fit this chapter?