Remove SET items

Started by putrid_plum, September 14, 2017, 05:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

putrid_plum

OK I'm going on on a limb here but lets be real. When was the last time anyone really uses set items? It's VERY rare and usually doesn't last long on ANY PC, of course likely a few rare exceptions. Right now these set items bloat the already bloated 'hero loot' table. I suggest they just be removed entirely. It was a cool idea but in my opinion was a flop and are more annoying (seeing 1 item of a set and NEVER see any other... Matterheim Helmet, Fork Tongue Armor, etc etc the list goes on) and maybe just make more cool loot to add in that is not set related. Not sure how the DM team feels but I know it's often spoken that sets are a joke, by players.

prestonhunt

I'm actually totally on board with this.  Nothing worse than doing a quest and getting some useless set item from a set you will either never be able to complete, or never want to complete.

SemStar

I would be sad to see Set items gone, as I personally enjoy them. However the time I've sunk into trying to find a set only to never see it after two months is absolutely heart-breaking.

I would like instead more ways to acquire set items other than hero-drops which are rare and have a bloated loot-table.

Bacon_Cheese_Burger

NO! Dont ruin my dreams of collecting the fishermans set sometime in the future :(

Kinslayer988

I would be sad if set items were removed. It is meant to be good loot and is a great reward if you can find all the item. I don't see the harm in keeping them. Let it be an option.

Edit: On the topic of bloating I do think there should be some other pruning/change with hero loot...
<SkillFocuspwn> no property developers among men only brothers

prestonhunt

Well, if set items were to remain, perhaps consider "packing" all of the items together in a single object that you activate, which then explodes into the full set?

I mean, isn't the intent for these to be used?  The difficulty of gathering them makes them little more than database weight, sitting in chests in faction HQ's all over the mod.  Nobody is going to carry around a set of armor (for example) that they cant use until they happen to spin that one in a thousand chance to find the one missing item they need to let them finally strap it on.

Damien

They are also remarkably underwhelming for the most part. I'd suggest going the route of Diablo 2 did with the noob sets, make them easy to gather and fun. Make them look cool and have some fun benefits, that don't need to be mechanically strong

RagingPurpleGiant

Alternatively, I'd like to suggest making a ton more set items and make their spawn rate much much higher. I really like sets but I've never been lucky enough to have a full one.

Ps: Make them a little more powerful and give them all cool colored names like that blue text wind themed one.
<elmo>: i have to say for me your glory days have been on EFUR RagingPurpleGiant1

zDark Shadowz

I've only seen I think 4 sets completed by others? Ancient Drow, Doughty Underwarrior, Mummers & that good aligned one I suspect Xombul is wearing. I was one or two pieces off completing that Rat set for ages...

It is kind of difficult but it kind of adds to the prestige of the character to have found a set, and if you set up your will with a Civil Servant or Mausoleum :P you may be gifting future heroes / villains of Sanctuary with the tools they need to forge their own legends.

More ways to get them kind of diminishes it a little but if it was something like in the relic chests that don't always appear at the end of a difficult venture it might be easier. Collaborating with others is still the best way to complete the sets and on that note promoting player to player interactions is why I think the sets should remain.

I wonder if you get some notable prestige walking around the Housing Vaults with your Master Worminger gear..? Heheh.

Kinslayer988

If this were an mmo like wow I would have an npc who would sell a missing part of a player's set at great cost. Paying gold to dodge the spawn rates.

I will see what we can do.
<SkillFocuspwn> no property developers among men only brothers

zDark Shadowz

Maybe an NPC at the secret bazaar that will sell random set pieces if player persuades them to show them additional wares (using the same kinds of checks that exist currently in the House of Trade)?

Though some set pieces will have some quite inflated values since they don't get devalued by penalty properties...

Certified Retrievals

Pentaxius

The issue here is that each new set added to the module increases the difficulty of completing other sets if they are indexed into the same drop table. I really like Tala's relic chest system. Maybe we should have a "set drop table" that spawns in chests which are different from the hero loot indexes to remove bloat on some drop tables. Such a system would afford better control over the drop rates as well, as presently you need to adjust multiple drop tables and keep track of it.

Random_White_Guy

One thing I'd say is reduce severely/completely reduce the weight on set items. EFU has enough issues with weight management (some bedrolls up to 15 lbs, 11 lbs for grapple and rope, etc). I"m all for added realism and people having to make the choices of what to carry, but in a world where storage is limited it just seems an extreme level of self nerfing to haul around a set piece of half plate looking for potentially unlimited other pieces, etc.

Say it's part of the set magic that it's "super lightweight magical material~". As it stands sets are very cool but they can involved secondary armors and other things that just aren't feasible since not everyone has access to storage/etc and I think it leads to a lot of "oh i'd definitely collect that, but oh well".

Secondly I'd say numbering sets could be helpful.

Piece 1 of 4, 1 of 7, etc. Just so you know if it's a short term pursuit of the PC or something that could potentially take ages to collect all of. I don't think it takes away from the allure of sets or the desire to assemble them if some loremaster goes "Ah yes, one of the seven gauntlets of the seven armed gauntlet lord, good luck traveler".
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

Letsplayforfun

Weight is an issue for most pcs. Perhaps reduce that to allow gathering of pieces without being loaded down. Other than that if you don't like sets, don't collect them. Removing them is pointless.

As far as collecting items is concern, I'll chime in since I drop a lot of items "to be completed" (sets, socketed items, etc). Most players seem to take it for granted, and just wait for another piece to be dropped on them. If you are looking for items, involve others (advertize, bargain, steal, hire thugs....) and these items will be much easier to find, and DMs will also know you're looking for them.