The change to unlimited cantrip use

Started by IxTheSpeedy, March 30, 2019, 03:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IxTheSpeedy

Just wanted to give some positive feedback on this change. I think that it's quite simply very fun. It adds an interesting element of light magic to playing a caster without unbalancing things. I'm currently playing a bard so I suppose I don't get to use the really flavorful stuff like casting offensive cantrips instead of carrying around a crossbow but I give this change two big thumbs up.

Thanks to the DMs for trying out tweaking little things like this lately.

Stranger

I took three sorceresses on a quest the other night, as the only fighter, and it was hilarious to watch them spam Disrupt Undead laser beams over my shoulder.

So good.

Bobbybrown

This is probably one of the most useful things to happen to all mage classes than don't have very much physical offensive capability, a mage running out of magic and trying to hit targets with the crossbow is painful at times, using a low but reliably hitting catnip spell is far more useful, plus the tiny amount of use controls offer is dwarfed by how few times they can still be used. Perfect way to allow a mage to not be as useless once their better spells run out

RPG

That's my purse! I don't know you!

Charnelist

catnip spells. :)

Let's not forget the slight bump to overall carry weight capacity for mages who would have felt obliged to carry around those crossbows and such, btw!

Excellent change, I quite like it!

And does it even make things easier? Well.. at times, certainly! But then there's times your caster pals should probably healing you but instead are still standing back frosting something... ;)
I predict many more PC deaths as we adapt to this change!!!

Electrohydra

It's really a cool change. Mages can feel like mages instead of peasants with a crossbow.

Now we only need a Fire damage cantrip so we can pick any element we want as our signature cantrip.

Necro

Only thing ive noticed that is a little iffy (though it benefits me massively i must add) is the unlimited resistance, yes the DR has been lowered, but a +1 to saves for 2 turns unlimited you can keep up is nothing to shrug at, for an already high save it can make people who rely on DC casters, like enchanters and such or illusionists, or necromancers have an even harder time than they already do. Especially if pfa is up and its a will save. I had pfe up and reisstance against a sound burst yesterday had a +30 to my will save, and while resistance isnt going to make much a difference, i feel it does really, and its also made neutral DC casters kind of essential if anyone can tell your alignment, or get lucky and guess, and see the difference in saves, knowing what to use against you next time for protection from alignment spell which basically makes you immune to will save spells, rather than just mentally influencing magic.
~Grass~
-Nobody