Author Topic: The Newly Awoken Guide to the City of Rings: Of Beds and How to Make Them  (Read 614 times)

Aethereal

• View Profile
The Newly Awoken Guide to the City of Rings: Of Beds and How to Make Them

3rd Edition

By the Royal Court Wizard, Aethelwine Silver
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 02:51:00 AM by Aethereal »
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.

Aethereal

• View Profile
So here you are: the 99th Ring of this great City of Rings. Breached for yourself the 100th Ring. Fine work, solving the puzzle of doors and levers or working together with your fellow Awoken souls. I was there once, one of the first in this new wave of wakening – whatever that means, right? How new and strange this world was then – I knew nothing, except that like you I was far, far away from home and my memories were few.

Dare you imagine how far? Well, I imagine like me you were once from Faerun, the lands of a world known as Toril. Of course there might be a day that those who Awaken come from elsewhere, in such a case heed these words well nonetheless because you are somewhere else entirely now. Your gods are not here, they’ve become distant, far away – for reasons that ought to give you pause.

What will you do now though? Well, you must make for yourself a bed, of course. And a bed is such a thing that will define you and the possibilities you might pursue in this new life of yours. Most of you will find your way first to the Open Door Inn like I did – thence Glumdrum Hall, the charity house of Ticker Square. Be unapologetic when you get there if this is where you go, a bed in this hall is one from which you can relocate so spend as much time there as you like. I myself was not afraid to linger, for you see, I am quite hesitant about making the wrong sort of bed, because once made, one is forced to lie in it.

You do have options though. Depending on your interests, skills, values, and convictions.

The beds in the Peerage ward are all defining, when you lie in them you succumb to them and you become part of something that has a name outside your own and in the end you will be bound to the hierarchies of the Houses. An easy option for those who have forgotten who they are, have no intrinsic drive or whose drive is very specifically aligned with what the ward or individual Houses represent. My time in this ward was filled with luxury yet far too much noise and distraction.

Ticker Square permits some level of freedom to make your own name based upon pure merit and dedication to your craft. The beds here are self-made and even joining the Merchant’s Guild (for the mere sum of 20,000 groats) will only place imposition upon you if you choose to claim a piece of the real-estate for your own.

The Pauper Ponds, contrary to the beliefs of most other wards is a place where the beddings are most variable, and the potential the greatest yet the struggle the most keenly felt. My time amongst this ward was filled with wondrous and strange sights and peoples from all walks of life, it’s also the only place in the 99th that has some token of natural beauty. Be careful though, literally all sorts will be your bunk mates here.

Now if you don’t find any of those sleeping arrangements suitable then you could always run the Rings – there are many places beyond the 99th for one to make a bed. Some with shelter and camaraderie readily present and others with unique benefits and facilities – perhaps consider some time with my friends the Muck Boys of the 97th, they were so gracious to host me in my days or tendays of disillusionment.

If that path of always running and questing and solving puzzles, riddles and mazes to the point you almost forget why you do it, or if that fabled, unwitting hope of seeking a great wish or boon from his Royal Majesty, the King in the centre of this City is not your thing – perhaps because what you seek is something greater than hope itself – then it might just be that you qualify for something extraordinary indeed.

To you then, my friend, seeker of the truth, pursuant of the manifold mysteries of this world and your new reality, wisdom might urge upon you caution to not run so recklessly, so swiftly into uncertainty yet also not to make your bed where you know you should not lie. You then might find another who thinks the way you do. Your will, intuition, and intellect should guide you then to the place where you belong.

To be Awoken is to find the best, most fitting place to sleep because you won't be leaving anytime soon. And no matter where you make your bed here in the City of the Rings, I do hope you are satisfied with your decision, because in the end, it was always up to you to have made it wisely.

Thus do I, the Royal Court Wizard of his Majesty, the King, conclude this guide and welcome you all to the City of Rings.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 02:51:21 AM by Aethereal »
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

Aethereal

• View Profile
Addendum:

Bedding with the Guild Masters of Ticker Square

It has been a time since the Awakened of this era started settling in to the 99th Ring and since then the nature of some beds have become clearer. Though I stand by what I have written of Ticker Square in the past, I am now able to elaborate on the beddings one might find when they choose to claim the real-estate owned by the Merchant’s Guild Masters. These buildings, the likes of the Apothecary, Hall, Basement, Church, and Adventure Mart, though certainly lauded for being rent-free to those who pay the hefty sum of twenty thousand groats to become a Merchant’s Guild Member – or in rare cases obtain direct sponsorship from a Guildmaster – come with quite a bit of baggage. For you see, to sleep in the beddings of the Masters demands satisfying their needs... and providing such satisfaction to your overlords might just mean you have to debase yourself quite thoroughly in service.

Taking Refuge in the Almshouse of the Mongrelwoods

So too in recent times have the alleyways of the 99th twisted and turned to open up new paths into the auld sacred or accursed (you decide) eldritch ward of the Mongrelwoods. Historically and thus traditionally a place where the mothers of Ring 99 (regardless of ward) abandon their newborn children should they show any sign of deformation, hoping thus to avoid the curse of the Changeling upon their bloodline. Bedding then to these products of abandonment who somehow survive or are raised by other outcasts therein, the Mongrelwoods are a terribly violent place indeed, where the flesh of the pure is sought as remedy to disfigurement. Nonetheless, there does exist a beacon of Charity in this place: the Almshouse of Pious Adela Nephezar whose provisions are given openly and freely to those in most dire need in the Realm. A last hope for the transient and beggar, those who themselves are down on their luck, or simply injured or ailing beyond remedy accessible anywhere else. The beds then of the Mongrelwoods are those of a hospice, thoroughly bled upon and final for the many who must make use of them. A last resort, or a peculiar experience for the most intrepid of minds.

Yet there are stories of a Witch of the Mongrelwoods, a woman of sunkissed beauty, one of the finest specimens of human kind who so openly flaunts her place in a ward that would seek to devour such perfection as that which she represents. How strange and mysterious then that in the midst of these cots of the accursed might flourish something so contrary...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:50:52 PM by Aethereal »
---

Aethereal

• View Profile
on: July 25, 2019, 04:46:36 AM
The 3rd Edition Addition:

In the first edition of this book I carefully placed a somewhat subtle invitation to those who had the eyes to see it, to come forth and find me in my demesne, in the 93rd Ring of this City of Rings, known as the Wizard Warrens. For it was there that my struggles in the Realm had led me, and it was there I thought I would find my true home amongst my arcane brethren ever since learning of its existence from the works of Glynetha Twill, and the ever graceful Alice. And after a series of terrible ups and downs, it was for a time home. The bed I made for myself, largely by myself. Alas, the jealous attentions of various beings and organisations inevitably found this bed of mine and in a moment where I was incapable of preventing it, they came and tore it apart.

Let me share with you then, some insights pertaining to the bed that I made.

Warrenwatch, the Tower of the Royal Court Wizard

Ruul’s Folly is an account where the young Velstran heir had received the Ritual Stone of Isiratuu Tower from Isiratuu (acting in my absence) himself at the behest of Ser Adrian Winespill. These matters are all mired in politics, personal interests, and intentions of preservation all of which are in the end meaningless details I won’t elaborate upon here – suffice to say, this group was the one that succeeded in claiming this potent artefact and if it wasn’t them, it would have simply been another. I am confident of such inevitability through examination of many iterations of plausible timelines. Digression aside, Ruul, being learned in the Art to some degree, proposed that he would utilise the Ritual Stone of Isiratuu Tower to perform 'a little switcheroo, you see', whereby my tower was to be switched in position from its place in the Wizard Warrens within a building that was by order of the Council of Peers, CONDEMNED and SEALED: the Oldspyre Tower. This would have achieved their desired goal of making the position of the Royal Court Wizard an institution of the Peerage of Ring 99. Ruul in his folly, would obviously undertake a work of ritual magic utilising the artefact to see this done. It should be noted that, this is decidedly a practice that stands against the rules of Wise Wizardry and so would never have come to pass under my rule.

Nonetheless, as is to be expected, the ritual did not go exactly as planned. Although Oldspyre was cleansed of its malevolent occupants, instead of erecting the new tower of the Royal Court Wizard in its place, Isiratuu Tower itself was torn out of the Wizard Warrens – it was the ruin of my home, the destruction of all my work, and as was witnessed that day and by that reminder of the floating imprisoned form of Ruul Velstra outside Oldspyre Tower, a glaring trespass against the Laws of the Rings. The Architects swiftly resolved the matter though, shrinking the hovering form of Isiratuu Tower into what is now the staff-and-tower of Warrenwatch, the demesne and charge of the Royal Court Wizard. In my survey, it is exactly as I left it before it fell into ruin, with the absence of the great Ritual Stone and my bindings of restoration – let me tell you then the history of the bed that I made and how it was so splendidly homely.

Entering Warrenwatch one will be greeted by the gated threshold, which is guarded by wondrous conjurations of animated armour I put into place to defend against uninvited guests. Beyond the gate, you will find the tome bearing the edicts of the King to be upheld by the Royal Court Wizard, proof positive of his Royal Majesty's rule. The purple crystal is next to it, once serving to tend the wounds of guests and acquainted Ring Runners who suffered well the defences of Ring 93, and right beside it are the public bunks available to guests and living occupants who have need of things such as sleep or reverie. Also on this level is the lecture theatre, private study and book collection once serving as home to the Royal Book Worm; Lori Underbough, the Lanceboard (isn’t all the world a game?), the Throne (sometimes it’s nice to receive a bit of recognition isn’t it?), the Round Table (it served the Council of Magi, now defunct), the Repository (archaeological and historical display), the garden (Isiratuu’s second most favourite spot), the Juggernaut’s Charge (once holding the Ritual Stone I used to create all that you see here, now just a bit of empty space), the potions table and last but not least, the Special Guest’s Chambers – this would have been the perfect little place for the Royal Book Worm, as it possesses facilities suitable to unique individuals.

The second level is my favourite, and I shan’t say much more about that. The third and final level was Isiratuu’s favourite, the laboratory-come-observatory. Unfortunately, I hadn’t been able to expand upon my work before the calamity of the Ritual Stone and Ruul’s Folly came to pass. Without the focus of restoration, this is the full extent of Warrenwatch. Oh, wait, the most important part of this all, the bed that I made, ah yes, now that’s back on the first level – my old bedroom. It’s a rather plain space with what now is a window out into a most curious vista, but I will say there’s nothing quite like literally making your own bed in a City where all the beds have strings attached and otherwise belong to someone else. Of course, I did lie to myself a little, even this bed comes with a price – but perhaps that is what makes it so luxurious and satisfying.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 12:06:04 AM by Aethereal »
---