Author Topic: [Lessons for the subjects of his Royal Majesty, the King.]  (Read 382 times)

Aethereal

• View Profile
Whispers of the Doorkeepers carry the words of the Royal Court Wizard:

This is an announcement of the King`s Court: to further the capacity of the subjects of his Royal Majesty in the engagement of wit, expression of self, and repartee that they may bring to him even the slightest modicum of amusement through their "pitiful" exchanges:

You shall all be lessoned in the meaning of the word, dweeb: a boring, inept individual. Origin: a blend of "dwarf" and "feeble-minded". "D" from dwarf, combined with "eeb" from feeble, "dweeb". Now, pay heed to its synonyms:

Nincompoop, halfwit, dullard, pea-brain, twerp, twit, git, sap, dingbat, boofhead, schmuck, berk, dipstick, numbskull, dunce, dolt, klutz, fool and idiot, to name just a few alternatives. Better yet, why not target something specific and personal about those whom you deign to challenge?

What say you, my colleague, oh Royal Herald? Should they not better themselves? I dare say you are the most worthy of describing those of the 99th.

[After this lesson, the following words of the Royal Herald are found lit up as expertly woven dweomers across Ring 99, instructing by example the subjects of the King, in how one might address their rivals and inferiors...]

Quote from: The Royal Herald
PEOPLE OF RING 99! Listen now to the Royal Herald. You fight like sickened rats in alleyways and piss upon His Majestys beautiful city streets like the mangy dogs you are. Your clothing is unclean and your speech foul and barbaric. Yet despite your abominable nature His Royal Majesty, limitless in generosity and kind will, has seen fit to send forth the choicest of food and treasure.

Quote from: The Royal Herald
Listen well to the Royal Herald. You thirst, you hunger, your hands tremble with covetous greed.... the wages of your sins are stamped upon your dog-like faces like brands upon cattle. Go now and grovel in the Commons, and await the glittering treasure that His Majesty sees fit to bestow upon his unworthy people.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:28:02 AM by Aethereal »
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.

Aethereal

• View Profile
Dear loyal subjects of the Realm,

In order to uplift the people of the City of Rings in regards to the proper means and manner of expressing oneself, the following practical lesson is brought to you by the True Magi of the Wizard Warrens.

We begin by highlighting the problem:

Quote from: The whispery voice of Elyn Croft is heard as you receive a message:
"Me`s still selling potions. Still these are blurring, haste and displacement. If you have a plan for adventure I am willing to hear it."

You might think it an innocent enough little quirk, a minor erroneous habit borne of one's unfortunate upbringing but that's how the downward spiral always begins. Even the lowliest apprentice knows the importance of proper enunciation, that expressing the wrong phoneme (sounds that comprise a syllable) could spell disaster!

Would you risk the hazards of such destruction produced from the mouths of the unknowing? The devolution of language and the ruin of proper communication? You needn't, because correction is but a lesson away:

Quote from: The whispery voice of Marcille Riley is heard as you receive a message:
Hello, person who made that recent whisper. This is Marcille, an apprentice under the First Magus. He has bade me to offer you a free lesson in proper pronoun usage. Proper communication skills are one of the thin lines that separate us from uncultured savages!

"Me`s" is an improper use of a pronoun which refers to yourself. You should have used "I", as in, "I am still selling potions." There are other uhm, grammatical flaws in your statement, but that is the most glaring.

This lesson is courtesy of the First Magus! "I" hope that "you" have a great day!

Yet what are we to do in the face of continued ignorance, in the failure to learn?:

"Me`s curious to hear stories about dragons, if any had been seen, of this City and dragon blooded folks. Whisper to Elyn, if you have information to share."

We insist that they do better of course. We continue to help them avoid destabilising the thin fabric of reality of this Realm, we guide them away from their dangerous and callous acts of defilement:

Quote from: The whispery voice of Aethelwine Silver is heard as you receive a message:
Dear Elyn, your curiosity is noted, yet its purpose or the benefit it might do you is doubted. A great many things could be shared about dragons and the dragon-blooded, but what good would it do you? I`m sorry to express such doubt, but I`ve no choice but to face it-

After all, you`ve paid no heed to the lesson already imparted! Yes, that`s right, the Whispers before by my apprentice were for your benefit. Yet you`ve shown with your Whispers that they taught you nothing. "Me`s this and me`s that, but most of all, me`s just wrong. It is I who am right."

And "I`m" going to share with you a thing or two about your enquiry, because "I`m" happy to teach, if you are happy to learn. Quarterdragon. Velastra Quarterdragon. The foremost Ringrunner of her time, and to this day she who has traversed further than any other in this era of Awakening. Ask about her.

And if you decide to show that you`d like to know more. "I`m" sure that you`ll learn how. Fair eve`, loyal subjects.

It cannot be said that we did not try, we ask now the good people of the Realm to help those who relapse, to guide them away from their erroneous ways because we recognise their capacity to learn, and we believe in them:

"Me`s sure we have things to talk about, yeah. However, -I- fail to understand why the remarks of bored jack(a)napes (are) now called `lessons`. Unlike spellslingers me got my edi(u)cation at the Cage`s streets, where you learn quickly when to shut your bone box and stop bragging."

Together, we can be better!

For the betterment of all, the Wizard Warrens provide.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 07:22:38 AM by Aethereal »
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

Aethereal

• View Profile
on: February 10, 2020, 02:28:22 AM
Dear loyal subjects of the Realm,

This lesson is will impart knowledge of the threat of recidivism and relapse when it comes to the destructive practices that bring chaos and instability into our home.

Let us begin with the definitions of these issues:

Relapse
   VERB
     1.   (Of a sick or injured person) deteriorate after a period of improvement.
‘Elyn relapsed a few days after self-correction, perhaps as a result of mundane brain strain.’
     1.1   (Relapse into) Return to (a less active or a worse state)
‘She (Elyn) relapsed into a state of primitive diction, forcing strain upon the thin fabric of reality with her uncouth speech patterns.’

NOUN
     1.   A deterioration in someone's state of health after a temporary improvement.
‘After all that effort she had put into bettering herself, it was a true shame to see Elyn relapse so.’

Recidivism
   NOUN
     1.   The tendency of a convicted criminal to reoffend.
‘It was our hope that by channelling the community spirit of the City of Rings to support her recovery from her wicked habits of language defilement, Elyn would be able to fend off the dark urges inside of her that if not kept in check would result in recidivism.’

Now pay heed to the evidence of our pupil’s trying efforts to practice correct pronoun usage as well as partial relapse in incorrect, and chaos-generating speech:

"Arbiter, me`s not in Nine Nine. I`ll reach you as soon as I can. Please, pay attention at me whispers in the future."

Correction: Arbiter, I am not in Ring nine nine. I'll reach you as soon as I can. Please pay attention to my Whispers in the future.

Quote from: The whispery voice of Crandall Aloysius Farnsworth Paladorious Esquire is heard as you receive a message:
Please girl, your grammar. Give pronouns the respect they deserve.

This would have been all fine and good, if Elyn took heed of a fresh new lesson imparted upon her, but instead she warps into full-relapse, degenerating to such an extent that she even forgets how to pronounce ‘wisdom’ (the highest ideal of all) indicating the darkest of portents!:

"Shut your bone-box, berk. Me speak how me Cage`s teacher taught me. Share your pearls of wis(d)om and grammar with someone else."

Correction and lamentation then follows:

Quote from: The whispery voice of Aethelwine Silver is heard as you receive a message:
Several points of correction are unfortunately due. Firstly, Ms. Elyn, you were doing so well. Demonstrating improvement in your understanding of language since the lessons were imparted. Quite a shame to see you relapse back into the butchery of language that is the me`s this and me’s that.

I encourage the loyal subjects of the Realm to remind Ms. Elyn that this is not the Cage she grew up in. That the very fabric of reality is threatened by mispronunciation and malady of elocution for such things can and will /spell disaster/ as any apprentice can confirm.

Yet it comes too late, the defilement of reality had already begun to gestate and would come to term, alas:

[Eldritch Disturbance]: The very foundations of `Ring 99 - Scraggleways` rumble as otherworldly energies coalesce!

I felt that. What did I say about /spelling disaster?/ D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R. [A pause, perhaps as the Magus shakes his head.] Following on, it is true, as the `wizard` before me did declare, the chaos-monger, unraveller, and practitioner of the Dark Arts is at least as much threat as any witch.

It must not be underestimated that in a world where the fabric of reality is ever in flux, where people Awaken from some unclear time that varies from person to person, from places across the world in their memories, a unified common tongue is amongst the most vital keys to order and progress in the Realm. Furthermore, words hold power, a lesson that is imparted upon every apprentice. The way in which each word is enunciated is of paramount importance in delivering their intended effect and avoiding catastrophe – as in Art, so it is in the world for anything less shall, as is made evident in this lesson, spell disaster.

Do your part and help pull the recidivist out of their pit of failure, lend a reminder to the Elyns of the world at every mispronunciation or incorrect utterance that they might avoid relapsing and degenerating into a hazard unto both themselves and us all.

Together, we can be better!

For the betterment of all, the Wizard Warrens provide.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 02:51:34 AM by Aethereal »
---