Animal Domain - Change Polymorph Self from 5th to 4th Level

Started by RPG, May 27, 2019, 08:59:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPG

For a while I was thinking about playing a cleric of Pzatharun and thought it would be neat to be a changeling cleric. Looking around the animal domain is the only one which offers polymorph self, but it's at a spell level which can take a character's lifetime to reach and requires a relic powerful enough to most likely require an application or DM intervention which can be difficult to come by in some of the sparser timezones. By the time a cleric reaches 9th level generally they're already fairly established and rather than their concept being a changeling cleric for the majority of their character's lifespan they'll have been just another cleric who happens to suddenly become a changeling once they're already extremely powerful. Although there are plenty of other ways to represent affinity for changelings and the controversial nature of Pzatharun's faith without having access to a polymorph ability yourself it'd be nice to have a concrete and reliable way of cementing yourself as a changeling early on rather than suddenly becoming a figure to be hunted very late in the game.

I'm not great at the game mechanically and I don't have a lot of experience with spellcasting classes or how changes to spell lists can effect balancing, but given the isolated and often conflict heavy life of changeling PCs in the new chapter hopefully a change like this might not be overwhelmingly powerful as compared to the Animal Domain from the last chapter. If the animal domain is a NWN default domain and can't be altered maybe adding a Changeling domain would be appropriate with a domain power that somehow reflects Pzatharun's affinity for shapechanging and chaotic fickle nature by transforming the PC for a length of time into a random form.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Grouch

Polymorph isn't a very mechanically powerful spell so it wouldn't be OP to make this change.

As in Polymorph you lose all of your abilities to cast your cleric spells that you otherwise could.
Things will never be the same (I've applied too much ketchup to this hamburger)