Umbertino: nightmare magus, socialite and wino

Started by CorstoTerrore, May 30, 2019, 12:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorstoTerrore

Yup, there we go. Wine bottles can breathe a little easier now.  He died yesterday doing some things on his own, which I'll get to later on.

Honestly, since he wasn't a prime mover, or mover of any kind, I originally didn't think to even make an obituary. But, when he left Velstra and I made the channel removal request on Discord, I was kind of surprised how many people started sending me hasty messages asking if he's died. For some reason he seemed to have a form of cult following. Go figure.

What to say...

I basically started him out with a very minimal concept in mind, because the setting was new and just out of the oven, so I thought locking things down too tight might damage the character during the early days. I knew I wanted to make a Dream Eater. For some spice I wanted him to be slightly foppish, aloof but cordially social. And when it really came down to it, extremely selfish, though he seemed very magnanimous and generous(e). It was usually an easy way to make 'friends', though he didn't have any as far as he was concerned. And while he probably was all that, very early on he evolved/devolved into a full-blown psychopath. He really didn't give a rat's ass about anyone unless he deemed them somehow useful to him. I made no efforts to hide this character trait, but at least 9/10 people just didn't notice. Could've been the wine.

Originally the Dream Eater perk was supposed to be some flair on the side, something mystical he can do. I guess it was the Ordo Arcanum association that made it the focus, instead, and turned his attention more towards that part of him. Hence the weird books. Shame, didn't get around to completing the set with the third volume. I also had some actual in-game research and testing stuff lined up as soon as my vacation was over, that likely would have killed him as well.

Okay, then. I have some very, very random screenshots, and not many at that. But he did have one bit of custom DM loota-bitz and that's always a good reason to make obituaries, since a lot of work goes into these items:

The coil was a very prized item of his, as it gave him all the nightmares he could want. Everyone always thought he wad addicted to wine, but that was just a pastime. Nightmares were his real addiction, always.

He also had a good amulet. It's not DM loot as far as I know, he bought it from Varthan rather early on, and I've never seen another being sold, since:

Despite appearing to be a useless sop (and looking at it factionally, he was) he did meet with people to discuss things. He only ever sent two or three letters and made one whisper. He preferred to 'ambush his targets' in the streets, ask to talk.

He also took part in some silly research:

And occasionally stumbled onto various scenes:

Gardening and herbalism were some of his favorite things to do along the side of his nightmare research. And it would be those things that ultimately led him to leave Velstra completely:

And herbalism continued despite no longer having access to a  secure gardening zone (And sometimes there were some system hiccups):

He was also quick to make new associations after leaving the Peerage entirely:

And, finally... the thing that ended him. I always knew it'd be his own research that killed him eventually. Just didn't think it'd come in the form of grinding paste out of plants.

Slowly bleeding away. If only there was a friend nearby now, to help.

The end. I know, he didn't have to die, just press respawn and keep going. Thing is, quite a while ago I made a promise to myself that the next time he died, no matter the reason (save because of a bug) then he'd die permanently. He had a long run after all. And not every character can go out with a bang, especially the kind he was, always in the background, tending to his own business. And the way that death happened was pretty ironic. He survived so many openly hostile situations in the Peerage, tough combat situations, failed Arcanum rituals, homicidal characters and Ticker hate. But he didn't survive against himself.

I liked him as a background character and think I succeeded in that. People knew who he was, but never viewed him as a threat so he could prance about pretty freely, even up to the point of doing some stupid things because he did only have 10 wisdom in the end, so the occasional slip-up was allowed.

Anyway, unfortunately for you lot, I'm not going anywhere, taking a break or stuff. I'll be alting around in peace and quiet, feeling out the concepts and builds before I settle on the next one. Or I might jump in the bandwagon if someone's got a group or duo concept in the works.

Grouch

GG friend.

I also liked Umbertino, he had sass.

That amulet is indeed very rare ambient loot.
Things will never be the same (I've applied too much ketchup to this hamburger)

whyemmdee

Umbertino was a staple EfU5 character. He was the perfect embodiment of what I thought of as a dark socialite: cultured, snobbish, yet indiscriminately self-centred and enough substance to attract attention rather than scorn. Lowkey one of the most dangerous PCs, I think. Great job!!!
tchundere

Bio

he was a good man, shame to see him go. wish we'd gotten to do more together
i am a god

SovietGrowlithe

Didn't know you well nor the character but heard him talked about a few times. Great job man.
"Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem." - Joseph Stalin

Aethereal

Umbertino was a great conspirator who really helped Ordo Arcanum become what it was with his presence and involvement all the way from the beginning. Definitely one of those characters who helped bring the world to life just with their flavourful presence and ability to produce and consume wine regardless of the situation. A classy drunk who even had an equally classy drunk familiar, "Here, here!"

Quote from: CorstoTerrore on May 30, 2019, 12:22:08 PMHe also took part in some silly research:

As for that silly research...

[hide]Nice lantern. ;)[/hide]
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.

Quarterdragon

I really enjoyed confiding in him, which I did on only two occasions but those situations both played out so well.  A shame to lose him, but well played all the same!