Staying Positive

Started by Howlando, May 31, 2019, 12:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howlando

Dear EFU -

As some of you may be aware, a very prominent PC (Errilam) died recently and both the circumstances of the character's life and the manner in which he died seems to have caused some amount of disagreement among members of the community.

There appears to be some sour feelings in the air both about fellow players as well as DM fairness.

I would like to take a moment to make a few sincere observations, please make of them what you will.

These sorts of issues occasionally do blow up in EFU; it is simply the nature of things. We have built a very passionate and endless game of unimaginable complexity and nuance that includes a whole range of rules minutiae as well as more amorphous concepts like PvP Karma. Players spend months of their time portraying characters that can be summarily and unexpectedly ended under circumstances that would cause anyone to get upset. When other characters become powerful and dangerous it is easy to feel like they are being unfairly supported by DMs.

Players are also subject to decisions made by fallible DMs and it is easy to question our judgment.

I have had the whole series of events that led to this and some other recent character deaths explained to me, and it is just really complicated. DMs will occasionally make bad calls but there may be other factors that players are unaware of and I'd simply like to ask players to give us the benefit of the doubt.

What I do promise is that the DM team strive towards impartiality in matters of PvP and really do want everyone to have a good time. We all want to make the right call and try to support each other in doing so; unfortunately sometimes there is no right call and it is easy for DMs to burn out when they feel like they are not being supported. For the health of the server, I really think it is important to be cool with our Dms so they want to continue DM'ing.

I think all of you are intelligent enough to take a moment, reflect on things, and perhaps recognize that with a project like this it is inevitable that sometimes it feels like things aren't fair or the proper kind of behavior isn't being incentivized. It is easy to get sour feelings but a little perspective goes a long way.

If EFU is to survive (as it has for so long), every player needs to deliberately decide that they will proactively work to make the community a more positive place. Make EFU fun for yourself and others, brush aside the occasional sour feelings, and watch as your own sense of enjoyment flourishes and grows.

To players who still feel like they need to express some concerns, feel free to reach out to me personally on Discord. I can definitely handle the heat and, while my presence on EFU is somewhat sporadic, I do welcome players to come to me if they have sincere concerns.

In the meantime, I want to assure you all that some great new & exciting content is being planned and worked on and I am confident that EFU will continue to rock your socks off and provide solid, meaningful entertainment for those of you willing to accept this place as your home.

Like for many of you, life keeps me busy and I can't be around as often as I would like to be - but I really think this place is a special community, I consider so many of you to be real friends, and it makes me feel great that these friendships will continue.

So let's keep it up!

Mort

I love cats

I am surprised by the lack commentary save from a post of Mort in support. I can say that the best thing to do is just move forward. Some absurd decisions got made.

Although here is a matter. "What I do promise is that the DM team strive towards impartiality in matters of PvP and really do want everyone to have a good time."   

There are some clear PVP rules in place DMS should come hard against deviation from the rules.

My advice is to reflect on the matter and not count on any form of OOC courtesy and for even DMS to make absurd decisions and simply caution yourself accordingly.

The only thing I learned from this  is definitely respawn  over counting on your body to not be stolen after you died on a quest. Hell bodies are for robbery or a potential FD. If you have an IG enemy wait for them to die to a mob and use them respawning or before as a chance to rob / kill them.  It seems to be a viable tactic at this point. Being positive on OOC courtesy is what caused all of this and only a fool after this display would make the same mistake I made.

Be realistic don't be positive is my advice. Looking forward to the new content and the storyline moving forward.

Mort

Are you saying that to earn a bit of street cred, DrD?

I'd say that learning resilience, capacity to bounce back after a hard outcome is something that will help you in every chapter of your life - whether you learn it on EFU or in real life is irrelevant so long as you do learn to.

So whether you win or lose- so long as you are able to pick up the pieces and avoid becoming a bitter, resentful man - you're a winner. DMs will love you for it, and other players will respect you for it. I'm not saying it is easy, but it's easier to do here, in efu, where you can just restart with a new identity, a new character and try again and again-- than in your real life - workplace, friends, family, etc.

Are you a bitter, resentful man? For sure, everyone has times - just try to make that time LAST less and less, and you'll be better off in the long run. Don't shoot yourself in the foot by spreading your resentment to everyone- nobody wants to hear that. Spread it to a few trusted people, that will help you bounce back, if they don't help and instead you brood on your resentment together, keep it to yourself - do something else - and then come back to EFU (if you want).

Your post stinks of resentment, and trying to act 'tough'. Stop that, it doesn't suit you.

Damien

That last paragraph warmed my cold, dead heart howlando. Kudos.

I would say for all my shit, for all the decisions I've felt unjust, Efu is excellent and has been consistently a great place to come back to.

And if you need anyone to shit talk about other players to I'll be your huckleberry drd.

SovietGrowlithe

A good read. I'll say that each death I've had of my semi-major characters has been in pvp. Once of my own seeking out and one to a trap that was placed that I got cocky and thought I could beat. It sucks but bouncing back and moving forward is the right step. Remember this is a place we go to have fun and enjoy ourselves.  The good will always out weigh the bad.  Stay Positive, I like it.
"Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem." - Joseph Stalin