Arbiter Duncan Lovejoy

Started by Its an old cops trick, July 10, 2019, 05:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Its an old cops trick

QuoteDuncan Lovejoy, 32, Fighter, Lawful Neutral

Biography: He once enjoyed a fairly lucrative life as a mercenary in Ticker Square until an influx of newly Awoken flooded 99 and made it difficult for him to find work.  He became unable to support his family with his meagre earnings which created friction in his marriage.  It wasn't long before his wife took their young son and ran off with a planar merchant who she had become involved with. 

Recent events have left him with a loathing for the exotic visitors that have come to visit Ninety-Nine more and more frequently.  Duncan blames the corruption of the Merchant's Guild for the failing of his career and marriage.  He intends on aligning himself with those who share his contempt for interlopers and support their endeavors as a means of pushing back their influence. He'll confiscate planar good as forms of contraband and dispose of them. He'll enforce the scrolls with a greater urgency on those of a planar bent or their sympathizers.  By generating an atmosphere of fear and suspicion upon those in the advanced stages of the Planar Sickness,  he hopes to exemplify the dangers of the planes and their inhabitants. 

His failed marriage leads him to fanatically believe in a Scroll of Oathbreaking, of which he is convinced must surely exist.  He believes that oaths once given cannot be annulled or escaped from and those who attempt it will face the censure of the scrolls. This is applicable to the many oaths and arranged marriages of the Peerage Ward.  So strong is his belief he would be willing to go as far as to carve the scroll into the Cube himself should the scroll never be interpreted by normal means. 

Duncan seeks to regain custody of his son and house him within the Cube to be raised from a young age as an Arbiter of the Scrolls and to learn of his mother's sins.  While his oaths prohibit him from outright taking back his son, he is not above having others do it for him.  He'll assemble a loosely organized band of laymen, essentially functioning as a vigilante gang that can commit acts and go places Arbiters can't.  Their numbers will be taken from sympathizers within the many Houses and Guilds of Ninety-Nine. 

I want to play an Arbiter who is just an average guy who is bitter about his divorce situation and has turned to the scrolls to fix his shattered life.  He'll be imperfect in his duties and demeanor and that may bring him into conflict with other aspects of the factions.  Though this is not to say he'll in any way want to betray the essence of the faction – just that he's not this flawless robotic titan of justice. 

Easy To Remember

Great character, with an earned intimidating reputation, who always came across as very human in my handful of interactions with him.

Stranger

A man first, and an Arbiter second.

Good work on creating a nuanced, earnest character.

HighGround

Duncan was cool, KOP.  Really enjoyed where you were taking the Arbiters.

Poolson

Duncan was a worthy adversary and a surprisingly expressive human being from a background that demands composure and extreme commitment. The contrast was very fitting to the overall theme of the Arbiters and I couldn't be more impressed with how that turned out.

Good hustle, champ.

Blue41

I don't think I ever saw his face, but he never seemed faceless. Enjoyed my time with him, though brief.

The Crimson Magician

Garem

That's a kickass backstory/foundation, damn dude.

SovietGrowlithe

My interaction with you was limited. Though you did a great job.
"Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem." - Joseph Stalin

Crow

The last month or so wouldn't have been the paranoid nightmare that it was meant to be without you. Good job, buddy.

Dillusionist

It saddens me greatly that I wanted to have his wife make a bunch of screeching sendings whenever you went to go quest.

I never got the chance.

Good PC.