Author Topic: [A letter to the Rumour Mill.] ((DM/PC))  (Read 368 times)

Aethereal

• View Profile
on: August 27, 2019, 03:39:34 PM
[A Completed Crossword for Selena Sandrue, c/o The Rumour Mill.]

Dear Selena,

I have a pilgrimage to make deeper in the Rings and your prize will be a worthy tribute to my cause. Though I fear you seem to have made an error in the design of this crossword.

Regardless, I appreciate your work and have completed the crossword as accurately as possible given the minor oversight.

Under the auspices of the King,

Aethelwine Silver
The Royal Castigator

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 07:53:41 AM by Aethereal »
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.

Aethereal

• View Profile
on: October 17, 2019, 08:00:01 AM
Dear Selena,

If you are still alive, I am still waiting for my prize. If you have run off to hide in the deeper Rings, then let it be known I shall be seeing you soon and shall still be looking to claim what you promised.

Otherwise, I hope you are having a splendid time in the Realm, it's been too long, hasn't it? Chances are you'll never receive this so I can write whatever I want here.

Let's see... oh yes, I have a very good memory, Selena. A very good memory indeed. That's all.

Aethelwine Silver
The Royal Court Wizard
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

Aethereal

• View Profile
on: December 02, 2019, 03:55:06 AM
Dear Rumour Mill,

I refer you to Volume ?? DLXXIV of your periodical as compiled by your employee, Selena Sandrue.

City Sending by Selena Sandrue : ... hello. T`is Selena, still kind of the City`s favourite reporter, I`suppose, since probably only /maybe/ a handful of colleagues during my vacation was even worth the twelve groats an hour they were paid. It`s a new issue of the Rumour Mill, and for this issue, we look at the Banner Tournament ran by the Least Fool -

City Sending by Selena Sandrue : - a festival of comedy, tragedies, and revelations of impassioned love by men - and women? - thrusting lances at each other; and of feuds born from the comparison of shafts. Read to discover the freshest gossips and rumours, as a renowned Guildmember might well be female all along, and learn about -

City Sending by Selena Sandrue : - the Court Wizard`s quest of redemption and his aspiration to knighthood atop a steed named Reason. The theme of the crossword puzzle is on the eclectic competitors of the tournament. I have thought a fair bit on what a suitable prize shall be, and have decided...

City Sending by Selena Sandrue : ... that it shall be an item retrieved from somewhere in the deep Ring 80s that may provide a clue to the breaking of a Ring. I shan`t say more than that. There`s a fair chance most of you, winner included, won`t actually reach that Ring. If you do, it might help, shaving hours off your plight. If you don`t, then, well. Ah well.

Notably, even after receiving her confirmation to deliver, Selena Sandrue has in her negligence failed to present the prize promised to me for completing the crossword issued.

Specifically, I am looking to now collect what is due to me, as highlighted and underlined above. Of course, provided this is done, you may expect that I shall speak the praises of your good publication for all to hear upon delivery of my prize.

I look forward to speaking well of the Rumour Mill and its dedication to grinding out the Truth. In fact, should this prize be helpful to me in my own pursuit of the Truth deeper in the Rings, as I push onward upon my pilgrimage to the Great Library I am sure I shall have only positive things to say about even the Guildmistress Priscilla Klink for her patronage of these endeavours.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 03:57:27 AM by Aethereal »
---

derkot

• View Profile
on: December 02, 2019, 09:51:11 AM

Dear A. Silver.
Sadly, Selene Sandrue already very long time wasn't seen around and she probably doing something much less important or doing ringrunning somewhere and not interested in doing Rumour Mill things.
To my knowledge, Sandrue did not leave any instructions or description of whatever was promised and so there is no way how I or any other reporter can help you.
If you will somehow and somewhere will meet Sandrue - it is best to ask from her again in person about your prize, not from Rumour Mill.

Tinkerer Y.Svaneffini

RUMOUR MILL
Радостное одиночество.

Aethereal

• View Profile
on: December 02, 2019, 01:49:18 PM
Dear Tinkerer Yllasaadinatranna Svaneffini,

I fear your denial of my due is completely unacceptable. If you yourself are unwilling to take up the debt owed to me then I insist you forward my previous claim to your superiors.

In the instance that you do not pursue this or I do not receive a more satisfactory response then I shall have to demand satisfaction.

I will remind you that I am known around these parts as the Royal Castigator and I shall not hesitate to challenge you.

The last person to deny me my satisfaction found themselves completely and utterly castigated, it's not something I like to do, but if it becomes necessary it becomes necessary.

I shall state only once more - it need not be this way. Just ensure I receive what was rightfully earned, it does no longer matter what the fate of Selena Sandrue is - the debt must be answered by those who remain and that is your good self and the fine publication you represent.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 02:00:32 PM by Aethereal »
---

Aethereal

• View Profile
on: December 03, 2019, 01:49:37 PM
[The above letter begins to glow with the following message, announced by an illusory whisper of "three days" in a a hauntingly beautiful feminine lilt:]

III Days.
---

Aethereal

• View Profile
on: December 04, 2019, 09:32:46 AM
Dearest Tinkerer Yllasaadinatranna Svaneffini -
              and the beloved Rumour Mill,

I thought the description of what was promised was well established, but I guess not. So I shall lend a helping hand to the people whose words have brought me fine company on many a moment starved of understanding the goings on of the City.

I am awaiting an item retrieved from somewhere in the deep Ring 80s - between and inclusive of Ring 86 right up to Ring 80 itself - that may provide a clue to the breaking of a Ring.

If for reasons out of your control you are unable to deliver me my rightful prize, well, first of all: for shame, I earned my prize! My pilgrimage ought be well known: I seek the ultimate Truth and shall peek within the Great Library that awaits upon my grand quest and dedication towards it. Secondly and to follow up, perhaps we can work something out, hm? Whilst I greatly prefer something to help me break the Rings I've not yet traversed, perhaps there could be something of similar merit or value in my quest you could award me.

Otherwise, I hear that the exploration of accountability in today's climate is a curious thing.

Ever an enthusiast of grinding out the Truth,

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 09:34:41 AM by Aethereal »
---

Aethereal

• View Profile
on: December 04, 2019, 10:45:22 PM
The front of this letter has a very noticeable caveat:

To The Rumour Mill but not Tinkerer Ylla Svaneffini.

Dear Rumour Mill,

Nice move.

This is the Rumour Mill that I fell in love with, a willingness to be bold in pursuit of the Truth. I really didn't have the heart to castigate something so beloved and you've helped me by bringing me back some humility in the best way possible. Righteousness is such a struggle, but Reason prevails. (Did you get that? Hm hm? I'm really a fan, you know.)

The first part of mutuality has been achieved, recognition of the issue. But the matter still requires resolution. None of us know where Selena Sandrue is, or if she will ever come back - but as an organisation it is up to you to pick up her slack. She was the best of the best, better than all the rest and it is why I hold her and you to the highest of standards.

You would not have my attention if you were not worthy of it, even if you might feel it an imposition. Because of the boldness of your play, which excites me for the times to come, I will lay out a few outcomes that would satisfy me and let you decide the best way to proceed:

X Find a way to have the promised reward, 'an item retrieved from somewhere in the deep Ring 80s - between and inclusive of Ring 86 right up to Ring 80 itself - that may provide a clue to the breaking of a Ring', delivered to me as is due.

X Provide aid of similar effect to what was promised, or otherwise we might engage each other to discuss the possibility of what may make for an equally acceptable prize. Maybe the Tinkerer who is known to delve deep could be brought in to brainstorm this.

X Acknowledge and apologise publicly to me and and all the rest of your adoring fans that you have failed to deliver a prize for one of your crosswords rightfully solved and deal with the consequences.

X The third option with the addition of no longer publishing crosswords with rewards as repentance for your trespasses against your loyal and devoted fans - but keep on publishing crosswords and puzzles anyway, just acknowledge that you can't afford to offer any prizes for whatever reasons.

Pick one of the first two options and I will ensure the Rumour Mill is appropriately exalted in turn. Pick one of the latter two options and I'm sure many will be disappointed. I think I'm being fair here, aren't I?

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:50:15 PM by Aethereal »
---

TheShadow

• View Profile
on: December 05, 2019, 09:19:54 PM
Quote from: A response, at last.

Hello! Greetings. Salutations - Etc. Etc.

I'm not entirely sure who you were expecting behind the curtain.

It surely isin't Selena. She's on 'vacation'. Probably supping with Rats beneath the city.

Or maybe in Tehoto? I hear they have nice beaches.

Or perhaps Yevethax has called her along?

Field Reporters do have a way of traveling far and wide in search of the next story.

However, as you noted, there seems to be a discrepancy in the Word Puzzle. Before a reward can be levied, it must be determined if the error is in fact on the part of the Rumour Mill, and not in the entry.

A letter will be dispatched to Selena for confirmation. Once we hear back from her, further correspondence will be issued (if deemed necessary).

Grinding Out the Truth,

The Rumour Mill.

A separate note, sent alongside the prior, but bearing no mark or seal denoting authenticity. The writing is seemingly deliberately fussed to make it difficult to trace.

Quote from: The Note...

Don't get your knickers in a tizzy. You (No one) can threaten a guild master or their enterprise without retribution.

Especially over such relative nonsense. But -

I'll work something out soon. 80-86 might be hard.

See you later, Casty-Gator.

Robin

Forever in the Shadows, yearning for the Light.

Aethereal

• View Profile
on: December 05, 2019, 10:54:21 PM
[The first letter is collected and read with a frown, which turns ever so slightly upside down as the next note is read. It seems for now another move is not being made.]
---

Aethereal

• View Profile
on: December 09, 2019, 11:33:06 AM
Dear Robin,

I don't need the item anymore.

Instead, do someone a favour for me. Make them smile. Do something kind for a stranger. Make their day. And tell them it was a gift you gave them on behalf of Aethelwine Silver and then tell them to pass it along.

A bit of good will in this hour will go a long way.

Please do this for me - it's the best prize I could ever receive.

I hope you have a beautiful day. It's a beautiful world, please appreciate it.

---