Bye... for now

Started by Thorny, October 15, 2019, 02:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorny

Hi,

I really enjoyed the server content, the humour and creativity in it, what I see as a novel take on party and experience mechaincs, the plentiful potential and the attention to details.
But there is a problem that I cannot yet move past and that is the nwn1 interface (I have been on nwn2 for the past decade or so).  I find it hard to manage the pathing and even walk in a straight line, I find the radial menus difficult to interact with, the keyboard mappings limited, the inventory awkward and many other purely interfacing issues.  To be honest, I'd jump at the chance to improve the game GUI (I'm a coder of four decades), but it would have to be for the game rather than an individual server.

While the death penalty was surprisingly heavy, that in itself is not a problem.  But when presented with the inevitability of dying many times to issues of control, it would be unrealistic for me to play here without losing more xp than I gain and ending up fustrated by my own clumsiness.
This is of course exacerbated by my choice of character, having a woeful ac and a determination to prove himself, but rp comes first and that is not going to be compromised by mechanics.  If my character were asked to accompany a group, then I will follow my character's response and not let my own reservations intervene.

I therefore need find a less punishing server on which to play while I try to adapt, one which I may be able to progress.  It may take me a few weeks or more to work out how to play as fluidly as others, but I hope to return to my character, Dolin, when I can really do him justice and weave his story here.  I know that established players here are keen to help the newer, and I am grateful for that, but I learn better at my own slow pace. So, until then, good luck to all and thanks for the experience.

Thanks,
Thorny.

PS  This reCAPTCHA thing is proving quite a challenge too.  Just how much of a traffic light is needed to constitute a traffic light?  What exactly is a crosswalk, are US fire hydrants red, yellow or any colour?, does a single visible step constitute stairs? etc etc  **grumbles**  Tried guessing at the Chapter number a few dozen times.. not sure what that was... I will post this eventually  *grumbles more* ... don't recall the first inn's name, my memory is atrocious... CoR, nope... haha the robot finally wins by spamming page refresh till they get an easy question!

. . .  Damn, look at that one!  They're out to get me today...

2010 subaru impreza wrx sti 0 60

No motorcycles is wrong btw.

Aethereal

That's a crazy reCAPTCHA challenge. Just an FYI, there is something called a 'Wrap of Struggle' that can be awarded by the DMs to new players to help off-set mechanical difficulty, along with some other boons to help them adapt to the server. It's always an option if you wanted to just dig into the RP here instead of going to another server to learn the mechanics/controls of Neverwinter Nights 1.
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.

Thorny

Good to know and surprising,  but  I'll take to dabbling a while.   It has my curiosity.

whyemmdee

As a new player I recommend you reaching out to the DMs and asking for advice, help, assistance and the sort in trying to get acclimated. They are more than willing to help. EFU is a difficult server for the unfamiliar, uncertain and the unwary, but there's not much else just quite like it. You can also freely ask in the #player-advice channel if you would like tips and tricks from players. Hope to see you back soon! (..despite you ending the infamous goblin line of Inigob ;))
tchundere

Howlando

It is a hard server but anyone can learn how to prosper here.

More than happy to offer direct mechanical assistance to take the edge off of the learning curve.

Just find me in Discord.

Axioein

As someone who had his own struggles over the years with frustrations (sorry DMs who I may or may not have gotten upset with at the time :) ) .... really encourage you to take Howlands offer. This is one of the best experiences in NWN I found and Howland can really help with mechanical suggestions.

Hopefully see you in game.

Thorny

I have found a UI mod that removes dialog transparency and that has made a real improvment for me.    When the game originally came out, screen space was at a premium and warranted the transparency, but with the larger resolutions of today it is not necessary.  As I slowly pick up play again here, I may well look at making additional UI overrides of my own, where I can.

Aside from that,  I am not sure how I had got the notion that the NPC jobs were not repeatable here, but I had certainly been under that impression and that had skewed my estimation of death recovery. 

On the matter of Discord, I choose not to use it on account of its security issues and its data usage policy, which I find unacceptible for my own pedantic reasons.  It does seem to be swallowing up some of the functions of the fourm, which I find regrettable but I suppose inevitable.

As for Inigob, I sure found the body, but may not have been the one who put an end to its schemes of world domination :p ...  Certainly had no idea what to do with its pack.

Anyway, I've inflicted a permanent injury on my character to cover his mishap and absence, and he'll be nursing it for a while yet...

Thanks,
Thorny.